Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-22-2012, 10:42 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm not blaming the shocks for the wandering coach, the Koni's do ride better than the stock shocks, too me it's just not as great as others have reported, again just my experience with the shocks.
I am also having a problem with the coach wandering that I'm hoping to correct, not looking for the shocks to correct this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #16

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had a similar experience as Driver. Started out with OE Monroes, then Monroe Magnums under warranty and finally Konis.

The Konis do work great. However, I thought the Monroe Magnums worked well too once I added a rear trac bar. That stopped the wondering on our coach.

We only got 16K miles out of the Magnums so I went for the Konis. Would do the Konis again if needed.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Spartan Chassis
UPDATE

Got the Koni's on , I have to say it is worth the money. The bang bangs I got before are now just little thumps and the thumps I expect I don't even feel. I find I am driving about 5 mph faster the ride is so nice. Have to start watching speedo instead of cringing at every little bump in the road.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by what next View Post
Got the Koni's on , I have to say it is worth the money..
Congratulations & enjoy!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:54 PM   #19

I know this is an old thread. I just purchased a 2000 Georgie Boy Landau, Vortec V8 on workhorse 30' (29') Chassis. It has rear shocks, not sure of brand (yellow), but seem to do a good job. The problem is the front rides like a rock. Of what I can see under the front of the coach, there has been no additions to the steering or suspension except for the air bags installed inside the front coil springs.

In all the documentation that came with the MH, I can't find any info on these bags. Right now they have 37 PSI in them, which doesn't seem like enough. What can I safely run these up to? Are they the better things to have on the front for suspension?

I don't really have much of an issue with handling but will probably add something to the front steering to help the handling in windy conditions. Trucks passing don't pose much of an issue, just winds. Suggestions?

Tire are 08's so looking to replace them as well, which may or may not help with softening the ride.
Old 02-18-2013, 03:15 PM   #20

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You really need to have the motorhome weighed, and air the tires accordingly. The air bags in the front springs are stock suspension items on your P series chassis. I believe minimum air pressure in the bags is 55-57 psi. I used to run 60-65 psi in the two P-30 chassis motorhomes I have owned. I would get the tire pressure correct for the load, and increase the air bag pressure first. I don't know your experience in driving motorhomes in the wind, but they do buffet around quite a bit due to the large surface area they present to the moving air. Short wheel base units are a bit more squirrely than the longer units.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:29 PM   #21

I found the literature on the bags and it said 40 PSI minimum and 90 Max. I put them at 62. Will check and see if they hold there.

Im getting at least 2 new front tires just due to the age. Even though the previous owner always kept them covered, Piece of mind is worth more than the price of 2 tires.

This is my first MH. We tested a lot of units before deciding on this one. Honestly, after driving many 36 - 40 footers, I felt I was getting beat up after just a few miles. None of them felt comfortable for me to drive.

We were driving from Melbourne Florida over to Tampa last week discussing if we should even venture into getting one of these things..... Then the owner of this MH called and said he was available to show it, and it was in Sebring Florida, so we headed that direction, thinking this was going to be the last one we were going to look at, if I didn't like the feel of driving it, It wasn't meant to be.

We drove it down an old uneven paved road with a 20 MPH headwind and guest to 30 ish. It drove great, no real feel of anything till the guest came up. We liked the home and decided this is the one. We drove it back to NC (750 miles) and had a blast. My wife and I never slept so good in our lives, the bed in this thing is awesome! Looking forward to many more trips, just have to learn everything about it.
Old 02-18-2013, 05:38 PM   #22

Just got our new SuperSteer front springs and Koni shocks today. Will hopefully be able to complete it this coming weekend. The front end was sagging a lot, and was two handfuls to drive in the wind. Sure hope those big bucks will be worth it....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:33 PM   #23

Workhorse Chassis Owner
What Next-

Go for the Koni's---

I've had the OEM's, Bilsteins and now Koni's. The bride couldn't believe the positive difference- neither could I -,
Old 02-23-2013, 03:27 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Our 2005 W24 Dolphin had Bilsteins OEM. Our first trip easy on I40 made me think one of two things. I'm either going to get rid of this bone jarring RV or stop somewhere and get it fixed. We upgraded to Koni FSD shocks and couldn't be happier.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote