Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-04-2017, 12:19 PM   #1

Heater hose?

Replacing all radiator and heater hoses . Looking at the heater hoses and the one going direct to the radiator looks larger than the others. Is this standard heater hose or a special molded hose . If standard heater hose you must have to reduce to join with the other hose. Also on my Itasca they run heater hose through the w/h and coach heater . I know the ones to w/h run through the wall then connect but does the c/h go through the wall also before connecting? So much foam around those can't tell just looking but just want to be prepared. If they go through I know is a big job.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-04-2017, 01:38 PM   #2

I used one single diameter heater hose on mine. Can't recall any reducers required. Can't answer other questions because I am not sure what you are asking.

vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 02:13 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The heater hose used on one OEM's coach or another is proprietary to them however what you will find is that the hoses are off-the-shelf diameters. There's nothing special about them.

If you have a Winnebago, the heater hoses may part of the Motor-Aid circuit as well.

Earlier this year, I replaced just about every cooling system component that I could to include radiator, water pump, T-Stat, bypass, heater hoses, upper and lower radiator hose, condenser and dryer. There may be other parts that I have not listed but my focus was to get my observed water temperatures greatly reduced and that strategy worked. What I essentially did was throw a whole bunch of money at a problem. Most often that strategy fails miserably but in my case, it worked.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 05:36 PM   #4

Sorry if I wasn't clear but is the hose direct from radiator to heater hose a molded hose. It is larger coming off the radiator than the regular heater hose. Then to replace coach heater hoses do I have to get into the compartment or the nipples extend through compartment wall hidden in that foam. Thanks
Old 01-04-2017, 06:06 PM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belv View Post
Sorry if I wasn't clear but is the hose direct from radiator to heater hose a molded hose. It is larger coming off the radiator than the regular heater hose. Then to replace coach heater hoses do I have to get into the compartment or the nipples extend through compartment wall hidden in that foam.
63belv, Are the existing hoses spongy, appear to be leaking or are currently leaking? I might recommend if it's not broke, there's no need to fix it.

Your rig like mine is equipped with Motor-Aid. If there isn't a good reason to change those hoses, I would leave well enough alone.

If you have access to your MH, perhaps a picture will help.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:50 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heater Hose

I replaced all of my hoses this past summer and my heater hose was the same as yours. It is a "formed hose", but I went to Auto Zone and they had an elbow reducer and coupler to attach the elbow to the standard sized hose. If you want to go the original hose route, I think NAPA had the formed hose.
Old 01-06-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcovey View Post
If you want to go the original hose route, I think NAPA had the formed hose.
Would it be possible that you have the NAPA part number?
Old 01-07-2017, 07:23 AM   #8

Thanks bcovey I knew someone had the answer and I knew that hose was not the same size both ends.
Old 01-07-2017, 01:47 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Heater Hose

Sorry, But I don't. I have purchased some Workhorse chassis parts from them and all I had to give them was the chassis model - W20, etc, and they were able to look it up. The reducing elbow from Auto Zone was a perfect fit, though. All I needed was that elbow, a coupler and about 8 - 10 feet of 5/8" (bring a piece of the old hose with you to be sure) heater hose. Plus new clamps. I think I went that route because the original OEM hose was NOT cheap.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:41 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 63belv View Post
Thanks bcovey I knew someone had the answer and I knew that hose was not the same size both ends.
On your Itasca, you may want to call Lonnie at Lichtsinn for a part number or a price from them. That might be helpful information. It's not going to be a Workhorse part.

Tags
heat, heater