Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #1

Monico-Monarch. 21,000 miles, beyond 3 yrs.
Brake problens began at 6,000 mi. Six repairs stillnot Reliable Wanted Any info about a class action suite--will Lemons all over MH at national rallys help/ Will national lemon law help--Please any suggestions?
Owner/driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2008, 06:56 PM   #2

Monico-Monarch. 21,000 miles, beyond 3 yrs.
Brake problens began at 6,000 mi. Six repairs stillnot Reliable Wanted Any info about a class action suite--will Lemons all over MH at national rallys help/ Will national lemon law help--Please any suggestions?
Old 01-24-2008, 03:47 AM   #3

Go down to the Workhorse Chassis forum on this site. A lot of discussion on this problem
Spoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 01:43 PM   #4

Hi Spoonman--looked at all the items on suggested site--Lots with same problem- but, no sucess items---Thats what I need --how to MAKE Workhorse Responsible.. Thanks for your reply
Walt Sikes
Old 01-24-2008, 09:06 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome Owner/driver to irv2.
As Spoonman said you would be better of posting down in Workhorse forum there is a thread with your same problem and some reporting for some action. Workhorse monitors the site is a sponsor and others rep them.
I have same chassis with 26,000 miles and not the problems they all are having, why I have know idea.
I'll short cut your post down there where you will get more response.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 04:20 AM   #6

I cut 'n pasted this from another similar post:

------------------------------------------------

Long post; no apologies. I've long been a strong Workhorse & Winnebago supporter, on this website and elsewhere. Until now. My recent experience with WH ensures that I will not be involved in a new or used WH purchase. I previously (Aug 07, 27610 mi) had front brake problems, including being towed, and ended up paying for most of the front brake repairs (both front calipers replaced). I'll spare you the details. I requested reimbursement (full, partial or ANY) from WH, but was denied.

Recently my ABS lite came On (28500 miles). Tried all the regular methods to extinguish it, to no avail. Made an app't with a WH Svc Ctr in Pensacola, 1 hrs away from Destin.

Arrived at Svc Ctr; Advisor called the extended warranty folks (Nat'l Warranty of Fla) w/diagnosis & estimate. They said an inspector would have to verify the TEC II ABS codes (7) and he would arrive by the next night. A three hour job now turns into three days. I protested, to no avail. All resources were in place at the Svc Ctr to do the repairs immediately. My next day's commitments would not wait. So they won the delaying game. So much for Nat'l Warranty of Fla. Another sorry outfit.

Called WH, saying I paid for the front brakes, request WH pay for the rear. Answer: No. Went up the food chain to just below the President (David Olson), Navistar. Mr Allan Stegich said the answer was still No; based on Out of Warranty, and not on Recall Campaign. They paid no attention to all the traffic about the many brake failures and the NHTSA investigation (in which I participated), on W-20 & W-22 brakes. The Svc Ctr Advisor said the rear calipers were locking up, as evidenced by the rotors being overheated by pads dragging. The service repair sheet says "Rear Calipers: checked, found rear calipers locking up. Replaced both rear calipers and rechecked ok".The position of WH was "it has not failed, so it's ok". My position is that the rotors indicate the calipers were faulty, WH has long known about this problem, and WH wants me to drive it til the brakes burn up? No way. I'm a strong believer in preventative maintenance, particularly with evidence of impending failure. I really thought WH would step up and at least make some contribution regarding my brake problems. So I'm paying out of my pocket again THIS time, but WH won't see my money again. What a way to do business!

I found abarkl's Jan 20 08 post very interesting: "I had all 4 cracked rotors, calipers, and pads changed last year under a delayed start WHCC warranty on my 2001 W22. They also installed the zerk.
I completed the NHTSA form last night."

Seems to be a climate for a Class Action Suit.

A very angry Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 05:42 AM   #7

Personally I will not be purchasing another RV on a WH, there just seems to be too many issues and the company will not back their product. Everything is considered, "not a recall" and it always left to the consumer to pay the bill.

Well when I trade up, WH will be left far behind.

W24 8.1 Vortec
Kyle241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:06 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kyle241:
Personally I will not be purchasing another RV on a WH, there just seems to be too many issues and the company will not back their product. Everything is considered, "not a recall" and it always left to the consumer to pay the bill.

Well when I trade up, WH will be left far behind. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Winnebago is now offering the new big Ford chassis as an option for the 37B, 38J and 38T. For the last few years these models were built exclusively on the Workhorse W24. I don't know if the Ford option is an extra cost over the Workhorse W24 or an even exchange.

FWIW, Workhorse has countered by making the Alcoa dura-shield aluminum wheels standard.

-Tom
a GM fan

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 06:22 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The only chassis I had brakes worked on was a Ford F-53, go figure.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
owner/driver please report to nhtsa
Posted January 19, 2008 12:32 AM Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oemtech:
They have closed the original investigation (PE07032)and opened a new engineering evaluation.
NHTSA Action Number : EA07016 NHTSA Recall Campaign Number : N/A
Make / Models : Model/Build Years:
WORKHORSE / W20 2000-2005
WORKHORSE / W22 2000-2005
WORKHORSE / W24 2004-2005
Manufacturer : WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
Component :
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Date Investigation Opened : November 16, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open

I thought the narative summary of the current NHTSA report was interesting to show the scope and depth of the investigation.
Here is a copy of the text (I changed all upper case to all lower case to make it easier to read):

Summary:
"On june 25, 2007, the office of defects investigation (odi) opened a preliminary evaluation to investigate alleged overheating disc brake calipers and poor brake performance in model year (my) 2000-2005 workhorse chassis recreational vehicles. To date, odi is aware of 651 non-duplicative complaints on the subject vehicles combining both odi and workhorse's complaint population. During the pe, odi discovered that the problem is most pronounced on the w20 and w22 chassis, both equipped with bosch hydraulic brake systems. The w24 chassis uses a different brake system and is being examined as a peer to the complaint vehicles. Odi's analysis of the warranty and complaint data supplied by workhorse during the pe indicates a dramatic drop in brake related complaints on vehicles built after may 2004. At that time workhorse added in production zerk fittings and grease lubrication to the brake master cylinder's bell crank linkage. Odi is aware of 3,782 unique warranty counts related to the allege defect for the subject population. Of those claims, 88 were submitted on vehicles produced after the may 2004 production change. During the engineering analysis, odi and vrtc will conduct a vehicle testing program to inspect complaint vehicles and evaluate various mechanical functions of the vehicle's brake system. Attempts will be made to duplicate the braking problems being alleged and to determine the root cause. Accordingly, this investigation has been upgraded to an engineering analysis to further study the frequency and scope of the alleged defect."

this is the toll free # to nhtsa #888-327-4236. you can report on line if you wish.

2004 adventurer/22.5 workhorse
Old 01-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by "007":
The only chassis I had brakes worked on was a Ford F-53, go figure. </div></BLOCKQUOTE> I had a winn on a ford chassis for 5 years and the only problem I had with either was hot water tank. I just saw 2 new posts with brake problems. I hope someone comes up with solution.
Old 01-26-2008, 04:23 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jdsr:

WORKHORSE / W24 2004-2005
Manufacturer : WORKHORSE CUSTOM CHASSIS
Component :
SERVICE BRAKES, HYDRAULIC
Date Investigation Opened : November 16, 2007
Date Investigation Closed : Open
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have seen NO reported problems with the W24 brakes. The W24 uses a completely different braking system than the W20 or W22.

If anyone has had a problem with their W24 brakes please post here.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 09:28 AM   #13

When a shop replaces the defective calipers on a W-22 chassis (mine), what make & model calipers are supposed to be used? Specifically, are they an upgraded Bosch unit or some other brand?

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 11:25 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have an Allegro on a W-20 chassis with 26000 miles on it. I have never had any problem with the brakes. It has never been on any road with road salt on it.

Out of curiosity, how many of the motorhomes that have had brake problems, have driven on roads with road salt and how many have not? Could the road salt cause a corrosion problem?

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote