Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #1

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but...I have one of the very short wheelbase P-32's. I'd like to add a Henderson Trac-Bar to it and maybe replace the front airbag and coils with Henderson's coils only. It already has Bilsteins on it stock. What
Anyone care to predict how it will behave with the Trac-Bar only and then with the addition of the coil springs?

Thanks
FullAstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2005, 05:12 PM   #2

I'm sure this has been discussed to death but...I have one of the very short wheelbase P-32's. I'd like to add a Henderson Trac-Bar to it and maybe replace the front airbag and coils with Henderson's coils only. It already has Bilsteins on it stock. What
Anyone care to predict how it will behave with the Trac-Bar only and then with the addition of the coil springs?

Thanks
Old 02-09-2005, 05:45 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I'd suggest calling the nice folks at Henderson Line-up and asking their opinion. They are one of the two best ride & handling shops around and have been analyzing and fixing RV suspensions for many years. Henderson's Line-up

The other top shop is Eric's RV (also in Oregon), but they will likely tell you to use a Davis TruTrac bar rather than a Henderson. That's because Eric Davis invented the Davis Trutrac. They are usually willing to take time to answer questions too.
Eric's RV
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 04:52 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Both Henderson and Davis sell each other's products.

I guess you can't go wrong with doing business with either of these companies.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 08:12 PM   #5

Hi Fullastern,

I too have the short P-32 and here is what I have experienced. The handling was horrible when I first got the unit. I could hardly drive in a straight line and it was white knuckle time when a truck passed by.
I spoke with workhorse about the problem and their suggestion was to run the front airbag pressure at 55-65 psi. and lower the front tire pressures to 75 psi. After doing both of those things, the handling improved alot, but I still had some tail wag. So, I added the Henderson Trac Bar. It has pretty much eliminated the tail wag. My next improvement, if I don't sell the rig first, will be to replace the air bags with the henderson coils. The P32 front-end is definately the weak link of the chassis.
I also added some Timbren spacers on the front end which has helped with the side to side sway.
Hope all of this helps and good luck.
It is really sad that one has to put all of these aftermarket parts on to make the ride safe and enjoyable.

Scott
Fyrflie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 03:23 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fyrflie:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Scott, One more little gadget that will make the P32 better are the Henderson Super Steer Bell Cranks. I understand that the bell cranks contribute significantly toward great handling by tightening up the front steering components.
Old 02-11-2005, 05:48 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Scott, I am suprised that Workhorse recommended the lower air pressure in the springs. The manual calls for about 85# with 5500-6000 on the front axle. Also 75# in the tires (if Michlin) would be unnderinflated?? After reading so many posts about blowouts, I would be concerned about that. Who at Workhorse did you speak to? Thanks, Ray

06 Holiday Rambler W20
HD tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2005, 06:24 PM   #8

The Trac-Bar is relativity inexpensive at $422.00 from Camping World and I can put it on myself. The coil springs are bit more of a chore. They run about $225.00 a pair and cost $192.00 to install them at Camping World. You then have to get an alignment. How much is a good alignment today? I haven't had to do one. The Bell Cranks are $279.00 a piece and Henderon says they're self installable but again you need an alignment.
Worst case scenario is $1,500 if I do everything, assuming the alignment is $100.00. Plus tax of course.

I suspect I'll start with the easiest cheapest first, the Trac-Bar. I'll replace the Bell Cranks when the front end starts to get a little sloppy. I'll end up doing the coils then as well, else I'll waste a front end alignment.

I'm confused about which weight coils to buy if I go that way. The tires are at 75psi and the air bags at 45psi and it handles well with this setup. This is a very light RV so I'm just about positive I'd need the lightest coils (4,000-4,600) They said to weigh the MH but I haven't a clue on where to have that done.
If the front end handles pretty well with 75psi in the tires and 45 psi in the bags, why do I want to get rid of the airbags? 'Cause I just plain don't like airbags. I think the whole notion is goofy when you can just put the correct weight coils in. I see no advantage to airbags at all over coils alone.

What about the anti-sway bar? I keep reading that may be a good idea.

Again, thanks to everyone for your advice and valuable experience.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FullAstern:
What about the anti-sway bar? I keep reading that may be a good idea. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>The anit-sway bar is an IPD design and it's about as good as it gets. You may want to install new neoprene busing kit if needed.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:33 PM   #10

HD Tech,

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I am suprised that Workhorse recommended the lower air pressure in the springs. The manual calls for about 85# with 5500-6000 on the front axle. Also 75# in the tires (if Michlin) would be unnderinflated?? After reading so many posts about blowouts, I would be concerned about that. Who at Workhorse did you speak to? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

When I weighed my coach, the front came in at about 4500 lbs. My axle is rated for 6000 lbs.
There would be no reason to inflate the springs to 85 psi. If the front starts to bottom out, then I would increase the pressure.
I think, and I am guessing here, that the maximum tire pressure is 90 psi for the front tires. So, given the weight of 4500 lbs and 75 psi in the tires, I don't think there is a concern for being underinflated. The tires show absolutely no signs of wear indicative of being underinflated and I have, after several hours on the road, felt the tires for heat and found none.
As for the workhorse person I spoke with, He was the Western US Rep and seemed very knowledgable about the chassis and we did speak about axle weights prior to his recommendation so I feel comfortable with his suggestions.

As for tires being underinflated, lets use my Jeep as an example.
The tires have a maximum inflation pressure of 35 PSI. If I run with that pressure, only the center third of the tread touches the ground. I have found that they run the best at 25 PSI. I get full tread contact, even tread wear and a great ride.

So, my theory on manufacturer recommendations is that they are merely guidelines and not the absolute rule. They print manuals to help alleviate litigation when something happens.

An individual should always take into account all factors regarding inflation pressures, axle capacities, etc. prior to making the best possible decision based on their findings.

JMO
Scott
Old 02-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>I'm confused about which weight coils to buy if I go that way. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I would not put anything less than what the axle is rated to carry. Meaning, if your axle is rated for 6000 lbs., then get the springs rated for 6000 lbs.

I can guaranty that if you go with lighter springs, down the road you will be kicking yourself when the front starts to bottom out due to overloading or spring settling.

It is too much money to throw out there twice.

Scott
Old 02-16-2005, 04:48 PM   #12

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Fukkastern,

I am sure DriVer is tried of hearing this... But, I built my trac bar for $70. Check my signuture for the link to my RV Tips for more info.

As for the coil springs... check the net. Coil Springs Specialties is a good place to start. Got a good quote for a class C i had. Any good aligment shop should be able to install the springs, bell crank, ball joints etc.
Old 02-16-2005, 06:18 PM   #13
Cat

I'll add my two cents. I also have a P32 ( 2005 Itasca Sunova 30 foot)It was horrible to drive scare the heck out of you. This driving at 65 mph and well under max weight. Anything that passes me will push me. I have added the Henderson Trac bar and it has made a major difference. But cars passing me still push me but at least it is controllable. Will put on a steering stabilizer in near future.
Any manufactor should be ashamed to sell something at handles this badly.
It is said Workhorse does not know what will be bolted on to their chassis. So they will not know how it will handle. I don't know of any of the chassis that is not loaded to a min of 80% of their max capacity. As far as height They run fairly close to the same. So they do know how it handles.And there alot of companies selling items to make them handle better. So it is not a unknown problem. And I should not have said handles "better" because that implies that we are talking about minor steering problem.
This is not the first large vehicle I have driven but it ranks as one of the worst driving.At least before I installed the tract bar.
Love the room, love the lay out,really enjoy being in it. It is driving that experiance that spoils the purchase.
Cat is offline   Reply With Quote