Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2009, 06:07 AM   #1

Here we go again

Love my 02 Adventurer 8.1. Of course you all know it comes with the Workhorse Chassis and of the brake problems they have. YES, WORKHORSE does have BRAKE PROBLEMS.

I replaced the front brakes when I purchased the vehicle with 19,000 miles and yes they may have seen me coming but it was a Workhorse Dealer for the tune of $900. + dollars. It has 25,700 miles now.

Now just the other day after having the fluid replaced last September, I was in stop and go traffic and yes I was riding the brakes and no I did not stop to let them cool off(BRAIN DEAD) when they seized up and I kept on driviing. Will get the unit back Tuesday after 2 ABS sensors, front caliphers and brake pads. Putting pads on the rear so all pads will be replaced at same time. Haven't seen the total bill yet but you can guess what it will be.

Now what is my point? After all the many thousands of words written about brakes on the Workhorse my bottom line is even with abuse they should not be haveing the problems they are having. Folks tell me this is the same chassis used by UPS and other fleet applications and they do not have a problem and it should not be happening on our motorhomes.

One person even told me it could be the ABS controler causing the pressure to be applied and thats what is causing the heat. Some of you may have already decided the problem is coming from heat generated by the brakes maybe if we ran a 4" piece of PVC from the bumper area back to the brakes it would direct air to the brakes and cool them. It could be held with wire ties and we could put a piece of window screen on the intake to keep out bugs so as not to contaminate the brakes with bugs as happens to the windsheild...We already have buggie brakes and we don't need to add more.. Thanks for listening
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Love my 02 Adventurer 8.1. Of course you all know it comes with the Workhorse Chassis and of the brake problems they have. YES, WORKHORSE does have BRAKE PROBLEMS.

I replaced the front brakes when I purchased the vehicle with 19,000 miles and yes they may have seen me coming but it was a Workhorse Dealer for the tune of $900. + dollars. It has 25,700 miles now.

Now just the other day after having the fluid replaced last September, I was in stop and go traffic and yes I was riding the brakes and no I did not stop to let them cool off(BRAIN DEAD) when they seized up and I kept on driviing. Will get the unit back Tuesday after 2 ABS sensors, front caliphers and brake pads. Putting pads on the rear so all pads will be replaced at same time. Haven't seen the total bill yet but you can guess what it will be.

Now what is my point? After all the many thousands of words written about brakes on the Workhorse my bottom line is even with abuse they should not be haveing the problems they are having. Folks tell me this is the same chassis used by UPS and other fleet applications and they do not have a problem and it should not be happening on our motorhomes.

One person even told me it could be the ABS controler causing the pressure to be applied and thats what is causing the heat. Some of you may have already decided the problem is coming from heat generated by the brakes maybe if we ran a 4" piece of PVC from the bumper area back to the brakes it would direct air to the brakes and cool them. It could be held with wire ties and we could put a piece of window screen on the intake to keep out bugs so as not to contaminate the brakes with bugs as happens to the windsheild...We already have buggie brakes and we don't need to add more.. Thanks for listening
but if its the calipers draggin i dont think the added air will help much. yeah, you'd have more air cooling but if the caliper is not retractin then the real problemm is still there

when you say stop n go traffic, would ya say that it was normal slow stop and go and brisk drivin and having to use a lot of brakes to slow down and then traffic would go back to speed and then slow way down again. my complaint is slow speed traffic drivin shouldnt have the brake problems we get compared to all other vehicles
UltraClassicElectraGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Please report your brake problems to the NHTSA and your Congressman.
Old 03-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichn2go View Post
Another day, another Workhorse brake problem, another Workhorse brake thread. :(

Sorry to hear the same story again... nice weather is on the way so unfortunately, since the MH's are coming out of storage, I'll bet there's even more to come. If it was stop and go traffic at a slow speed, you have to be able to use the brakes and to me, in these conditions, that's not riding the brakes that should create these situations. After all, you can't play bumper car and tag the guy ahead of you because you're in traffic and afraid to use the brakes.

'Riding the brakes' to me is more like going down a steep grade in high gear at a higher speed and then keeping the foot into the brake pedal way too long, way too often, to keep it under control. That's a lot different to me than driving at 15 to 25 miles per hour but then checking up so as not to smack the guy ahead of you...

You are absolutely correct when you say "YES, WORKHORSE does have BRAKE PROBLEMS." and in your case, repeated problems in 6,000 miles. Based on what you wrote, I hope you take the time to file (another?) complaint at NHTSA...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 06:45 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
We're leaving for Bristol in the morning. It was this trip 18 months ago when I had the brake failure on my W-20 so it will be on my mind. I will be very carefull on I-40, especially in the mountainous areas that I must travel thru. We have used the rig throughout the winter, so it has not be parked for more than a month at a time, hopfully this will help. I'm hoping for the best and expect a carefree trip. But this thing should not be on one's mind constantly!

Bob
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 07:18 PM   #6

It was a year ago we had our event on our trip home to north TX from the Rio Grande Valley, had to replace calipers and rotors on the right side(reported to NHSTC). This year just finished the same trip after a four month stay and am happy to report no problem, it was on our minds the whole way home as it was on a 2000 mile uneventful trip last summer. Praise the Lord.

Richard
Old 03-16-2009, 07:46 AM   #7

Going down hill with foot on brakes will definetly heat up the brakes faster. But, I found out that flat ground in stop and go traffic will do the same thing if you keep your foot on the brake. The fix is to stay back and don't follow to closely and use the barakes sparingly and pray. If you feel your brakes dragging pullover immediately and don't keep driving as this dum dum did.
HEAT causes the calipher to apply the pads and generate MORE HEAT so many times its not the calipher itself. I too will be just a little concerned when I drive ole lizzie. BE SAFE
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 11:11 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to Ace_Clark
Staying back a comfortable distance used to work years ago. These days, any room another car can squeeze in, they will. Therefore, your cautious effort of driving the safe distance is no longer going to save you.
Ace_Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 04:54 PM   #9

Hopefully this issue will fade to black once the recall is handled, and WH either pays customers for the variety of brake claims going back a few years, or else pays the kindly class action attorneys for their kindly assistance with customers complaints, and then pays customers for the variety of brake claims going back a few years. And hopefully the recall will be announced soon so folks can get this off the worry list.
Old 06-19-2009, 05:49 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickandcheryl View Post
Please report your brake problems to the NHTSA and your Congressman.
If there is a recall that is going to be issued.....why report this to NHTSA and your Congressman? WH already is going to step up and replace with new designs.
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Richard 34A......I thought you were banned from this forum!!
emeryts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2009, 06:13 PM   #12

Terry- the notice a recall would be issued came after that post
Old 06-19-2009, 06:59 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by emeryts View Post
Richard 34A......I thought you were banned from this forum!!
The R34A post was made prior 2.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote