Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #1

I am interested in a vent kit to route some air to the Stable (doghouse)in my W22 Workhorse. In the summer it really gets hot inside and I can feel the heat. I have no problems buying this myself but Workhorse will not sell just the kit. So I thought I will just make my own.

I can find the vent hose no problem but I am having trouble finding a suitable flange or funnel to mount up front to catch the air and route it back through the 3-4" vent hose.

Does anyone have a source for some type of molded plastic flange like this? Basically I need a big funnel with a 3-4" outlet right?
rotts4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2005, 09:07 AM   #2

I am interested in a vent kit to route some air to the Stable (doghouse)in my W22 Workhorse. In the summer it really gets hot inside and I can feel the heat. I have no problems buying this myself but Workhorse will not sell just the kit. So I thought I will just make my own.

I can find the vent hose no problem but I am having trouble finding a suitable flange or funnel to mount up front to catch the air and route it back through the 3-4" vent hose.

Does anyone have a source for some type of molded plastic flange like this? Basically I need a big funnel with a 3-4" outlet right?
Old 12-07-2005, 12:15 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rotts4u.... You might try Tractor Supply they usually have a lot of items used around the farm and ranches. I was thinking something like an irrigation type of device. Just a thought!

Also, what are you using for the piping? I assume something like aluminum dryer vent piping which is flexible and non-flammable.
Streamerman
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 04:36 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rotts4u:
I have no problems buying this myself but Workhorse will not sell just the kit. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>rotts4u, I see where Workhorse parts does sell the kit. Here's all the info you need, just click on the graphic.

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 05:10 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It looks like you have to go to the Dealer to have this done? 4 Hours installation = $400,00 plus $143.00. Somewhere around $600.00.

We need to be able to DIY a lot of these things.
The SW FL dealers have raised work rates to $110.00 per hour.
Old 12-08-2005, 05:16 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Does anyone have a source for some type of molded plastic flange like this? Basically I need a big funnel with a 3-4" outlet right? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Try the sprinkler & drainage depts. of your favorite home improvement whse. I've seen lots of variations for sub-surface "catch basins". ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:03 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I was thinking that we could use the vent outlets adapters used for heating/ac vents in your home forced air system. I think these come in a variety of sizes in galvanized steel. Paint them black and they should look as good as the factory version.
Where would be the best place to locate the inlet "funnels"?
Bill
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2005, 06:10 AM   #8

Personally I wold prefer a molded Polypropylene or polyethelene instead of steel. Less chance of rusting or noise. Not that I dont think your idea will work becuase it is the right shape and has the right outlet as well. I think they need to be mounted either behind the grill or under the bumper.

Either way they need to face forward to get the ram air effect as the coach moves forward.
Old 12-10-2005, 03:59 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Duner:
Where would be the best place to locate the inlet "funnels"? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bill, First question is, "Do I really need the cooling kit?" I ran the southwestern desert this past August A/C running, at GCWR, over mountains and no problems.
Old 12-10-2005, 04:25 PM   #10

My reason for it is mainly to cool the doghouse. Perhaps mine gets hotter because I added a different type of sound dampning material and it could be holding in some heat. But in the summer my right foot gets very hot next to the stable.

I figure a stream of air will no nothing but help that. I dont see a downside other than cost /time
Old 12-10-2005, 05:40 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by rotts4u:
I figure a stream of air will no nothing but help that. I don't see a downside other than cost /time </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That said and understood I hope you're not going to be headed for disappointment.

The cooling kit dumps air in the vicinity of the center of the exhaust manifold where the manifold gets the hottest. A slight temperature decrease in that particular area has proven to be effective in preventing problems relating to plug wires.

Whether or not there's going to be enough air there to help cool your right foot is yet to be determined.

Like you said, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:25 AM   #12
adj

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In heavy rain, will an excess amount of water on the engine do any thermal damage? These tubes appear to be straight ducts without any water seperators.

04 Lapalma 33'
adj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 04:01 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by adj:
In heavy rain, will an excess amount of water on the engine do any thermal damage? These tubes appear to be straight ducts without any water separators. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You're not going to ingest more water than you can handle through the air kit. In a heavy rain I'd be more concerned about getting water in the air horn than anything else.

My strategy while traveling in a heavy rain is to reduce my speed to 45 mph or so and take it slow and easy.
Old 12-11-2005, 12:37 PM   #14

I had a 94 Flair on a P-30 chasis that ran with a very hot doghouse and was hard on plug wires. I used two 4 inch flexable metal dryer tubes along with two 45 degree 4 inch PVC couplers and a package of 10 inch wire ties. Total cost about $25. Mounted the couplers under the bumper and ran the hoses up to blow along the exhaust manifolds. Took about an hour. Made quite a difference in that I could not keep my foot on the side of the doghouse before and I could place my hand there after. Never had a problem with rain. I am thinking about doing it to my new coach, P-32 Workhorse,just on general principles. Especially after reading these posts.