Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Horn has stopped working on my W24. There is power at the fuse panel by drivers foot and the 20amp fuse is good. There is also power under the "hood" in the box marked fuse relay center (50amp horn/pcm)and that fuse is good. Wires at the 2 horns and wire at the horn button seem to have good connection.
Fortunately it's under warranty until Sept but I'm heading to Branson next week and won't have time to bring it anywhere so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to look for. Thanks
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2007, 11:13 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Horn has stopped working on my W24. There is power at the fuse panel by drivers foot and the 20amp fuse is good. There is also power under the "hood" in the box marked fuse relay center (50amp horn/pcm)and that fuse is good. Wires at the 2 horns and wire at the horn button seem to have good connection.
Fortunately it's under warranty until Sept but I'm heading to Branson next week and won't have time to bring it anywhere so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to look for. Thanks
Old 07-04-2007, 12:48 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
so I'd appreciate any suggestions on what to look for. Thanks </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bob a horn is actually 12 volts going through the horn and then to ground. Check the grounds.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 02:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm thinking the following should be true.

I would first check (with a volt meter) to see if 12V is actually getting to the horn. If yes, check for a good horn ground. If 12V is not getting to the horn follow the wire back or locate the horn relay and see if that is getting 12V. This relay will have one terminal which always has 12V (rig "on"), a terminal from the horn button which when grounded should pull in the horn relay. And a third terminal which sends 12V to the horn when the horn button is pushed (grounded).

UltraPower ECM Program
Joe Gilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2007, 03:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
As best as I can tell thus far, ground appears OK but will keep looking.

Have only checked with a test light at this point. Two fuse areas "light" but neither the horn button wire nor the horns do.

Is the 50amp horn/pcm fuse in the fuse relay center box the actual horn relay? If not, do you know if it's located inside or outside?
Old 07-13-2007, 04:35 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Is it all of your horns, or the upper/lower?

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Russo:
Is the 50amp horn/pcm fuse in the fuse relay center box the actual horn relay? If not, do you know if it's located inside or outside? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The "Internal" fuse block has a 20A relay labeled HORN.

The "External" fuse block has a 60A fuse labeled "LIGHTING/HORN".
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 05:36 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Sorry for the delay, had to take care of a family matter.

r2dillon - I have 2 horns located in the bottom corners. Neither work

DriVer - My external fuse, located in a fuse relay box is 50A and labeled HORN/PCM. (Both fuses are good)

Is there a relay located somewhere else? If so, is it between the internal fuse and the horn button?
Old 07-23-2007, 06:10 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look under the dash. It sounds like you are referencing the WCC factory installed horns and the fuse box under the dash is where I believe that fuse is located.

2017 F150 Toad
r2dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
The fuse box on the floor to the left of my foot has a 20A fuse for the horn. That fuse, in addition to the 50A fuse located in the engine compartment is good.

I'm wondering that if in addition to those there may be a horn relay. If so, I haven't been able to located it.
Old 07-24-2007, 04:40 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a few different failure modes

One of the more common is "Bad connection"

Measure voltage at horn with wires connected and partner pushing horn button.. zero, bad, 12 (or near battery voltage) good.

Measure voltage at horn with wires DISconnected (Everythign else the same) 12, Suspect, zero bad

If Zero find the horn relay and measure the voltage across the coil, with the horn button depressed should be battery, zero bad, means bad wire to horn button. or bad horn switch. (Alternative way to do with, measure for voltage at the horn button, should be near battery with the button NOT depressed)

IF proper coil voltage measure to ground from both the battery and horn side of the relay, should be the same with button depressed, you should also hear the relay click.

Voltage at relay but not at horn,, Broken wire/connection

Next 1st test result

Voltage disconnected, none or very low connected

Measure again, this time putting a large 12vdc light on the line (Turn signal, or even a head lamp) still near battery voltage. GOod, replace horn Low voltage, inspect all conections up line and/or replace relay.

Next 1st result, Full voltage at horn when button depressed: Replace horn
Old 07-24-2007, 05:47 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks John-D. Now to find the time to do it before I leave on Thursday. Might have to chase it down while on the road.
Amazing how infrequently you use the horn when it's working but when it doesn't work it seems like you use it all the time.
Old 08-25-2007, 11:50 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
HONK,HONK - horn is fixed! There is a horn relay in addition to 50 amp fuse in engine compartment and 20 amp fuse inside.

To get to it (and 2 other relays) you have to remove the cover to and fuse panel on the floor to the left of the drivers foot. Relays are mounted on the outside wall.
Old 08-26-2007, 03:30 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I noticed our horn sounded a little "wimpy" the last trip out. Checked and found voltage at both horns. Unplugged one at a time to determine which one wasn't working properly and proceeded to remove it. After taking it off the radiator support a small amount of water came out of the opening. I then shook it some more and blew some compressed air into and thats all it was. Now good as new.