Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2018, 05:00 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phulltimers View Post
Hi Ed! I’m new here! Can you please tell me if I have any recalls also? I believe my 2000 is a p32 as well, although it’s been decoded as a p30 before. VIN 5B4LP37J9Y3320765
Thank you so much
WELCOME to iRV2.com and the Workhorse forum. Glad you joined and posted.

Yes, you have a 2000 model year P-32, originally sold to National RV. The good news is that your chassis never had any recalls. The bad news is that it has the J71 AAPB system due to its 18,000 GVWR and GM 4L80E tranny without a parking pawl. The best source of info about the AAPB is at: AutoPark parking brake system help, troubleshooting, and repair

Safe travels,
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2018, 10:08 AM   #16

Recall check

Hi Ed, another dumb new guy here! Learned a lot on this so far, 2003 southwind m32v, w22 and Allison 1000, according to stuff I’ve seen here, does this sound right.? And I’d like to check recalls, there is a sticker under the hood but it’s a lil faded, 5B4MP67G023348181, thanks for any help
Bkjames1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2018, 07:29 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bkjames1 View Post
Hi Ed, another dumb new guy here! Learned a lot on this so far, 2003 southwind m32v, w22 and Allison 1000, according to stuff I’ve seen here, does this sound right.? And I’d like to check recalls, there is a sticker under the hood but it’s a lil faded, 5B4MP67G023348181, thanks for any help
WELCOME to iRV2. That vin is a 2002 W-20 (GVWR = 20,700 lbs) sold to Fleetwood-Riverside, CA It was subject to both of the brake recalls, and both were completed. The Bosch caliper replacement recall, 51101-C, was done in Nov. 2011 @ 25,320 miles. There were no other recalls for that chassis.

The reasons for the W-20 rating is likely the 19.5" wheels and the GAWR on the rear axle being less than what was used on most of the 22,000 GVWR chassis, and yes you have a Allison 1000 series 5 speed tranny.
Old 10-22-2018, 04:21 PM   #18

Thanks Ed, big help, I have a couple other questions if you could answer or direct me to the correct forum.......if giver is 22k, how much does it weigh before loading up? 2003 southwind m32vs, also who has some lists of the air, oil and transmission filter numbers?
Old 10-22-2018, 04:35 PM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks Ed, big help, I have a couple other questions if you could answer or direct me to the correct forum.......if giver is 22k, how much does it weigh before loading up? 2003 southwind m32vs, also who has some lists of the air, oil and transmission filter numbers?
Look on the federally required label next to the driver's seat. It should list the UVW. (Unloaded Vehicle Weight) It is sometimes called Dry weight. This might vary according to options added to the RV after it left the factory.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2018, 05:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Please note that you don't have 22K as your GVWR. The answer to your question can only be determined by driving the unloaded coach onto a truck stop scale, because we have no way to know how much weight was added by the coach builder. I can tell you that the bare chassis, with a only few gallons of gas in the tank, weighed approximately 6,200 pounds when driven off the assembly line. I would GUESS that your UVW is somewhere around 18,000 pounds full of fuel and with empty water and holding tanks.

The chassis air filter is A/C Delco 1236 OR 957C (or something like those) and the OEM oil filter is A/C Delco PF454 and the external spin-on tranny fluid filter is Allison 29539579.
Old 10-23-2018, 10:24 AM   #21

Lightbulb

Thanks again, 2 more questions, what's the deal with having the tranny fluid checked by a lab, how is this done, and how much does it cost...is it possible to change the trans filter and not the fluid, does this do any good?
Old 10-23-2018, 10:33 AM   #22

The fluid has 40k miles
Old 10-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Thanks again, 2 more questions, what's the deal with having the tranny fluid checked by a lab, how is this done, and how much does it cost...is it possible to change the trans filter and not the fluid, does this do any good?
A small sample of the fluid is sent to a lab and checked for harmful chemicals and metal particles.

Blackstone is one of the big fluid testers.

Changing the trans filter is better than not doing it, but it's much better to change filter and fluid at the same time.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:39 PM   #24

Quote:
The fluid has 40k miles
Unless you have proof that the original ATF (Dexron III) was changed over to one of the Allison approved "TES295" standards fluids such as Castrol TranSynd, then don't spend the money to have it tested-just change it. I'm a believer in using the testing service of JG Labs (see the threads in the Allison forum here), but only to confirm my TranSynd ATF is still performing as it should and isn't contaminated.

If you need to switch yours over to the synthetic ATF, it isn't hard to do, but it is time-consuming and expensive. Read up on the "double drain" method, which will get you close enough to 100% synthetic and you will need at least 24 quarts at ~ $50-60.00 per gallon. The Allison filter is only around 10 bucks and you just change it before the second refill.
Old 11-21-2018, 06:55 AM   #25

Hello all,I have a 2001 Fleetwood Storm vin#13333797 any recalls on this rig?
Ed, thanks for all you do
DewMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 09:42 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMac View Post
Hello all,I have a 2001 Fleetwood Storm vin#13333797 any recalls on this rig?
Ed, thanks for all you do
DEWMAC: Welcome to iRV2 and the WCC forum in particular.

There were very few recalls for the P32 series chassis, but you do have one that is still "open", meaning not completed. It is quite old, and since yours has apparently not experienced a problem, I guess you shouldn't worry about it. Here is the text of the recall:

30101-C Campaign Description: Rear Axle U-Bolt Torque Applicable Labor Operations: T3001- Campaign: Workhorse Custom Chassis has determined that all Motor-home and Commercial chassis's built between April 01, 2001 and July 30, 2001 may have incorrect torque on the rear axle U-bolts. Incorrect torque on rear axle U-bolts can result in a clunking noise at the rear axle during braking and acceleration. Also, it is possible for rear axle to come loose from the vehicle resulting in loss of vehicle control and possible vehicle crash. Correction for this condition is to check the rear axle U-bolts for proper nut torque and torque to proper specification. Files on Campaign: 30101-C.pdf -

Ed
Old 11-21-2018, 10:38 AM   #27

Ed, Thanks for quick reply. The interesting thing about the recall in regards to my rig is there was a clunking sound coming from of the rear end and there was one nut missing on the u bolts. The other nuts on the u bolts where loose also. I put some lock-tite on the nuts and tightened them all. Been quiet every since. Thanks again for all your help
DewMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2018, 11:59 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewMac View Post
Ed, Thanks for quick reply. The interesting thing about the recall in regards to my rig is there was a clunking sound coming from of the rear end and there was one nut missing on the u bolts. The other nuts on the u bolts where loose also. I put some lock-tite on the nuts and tightened them all. Been quiet every since. Thanks again for all your help
I should not have assumed you didn't have a problem, and I am glad to know you took care of it. FYI, the recall will remain "open" in their records until you have it "officially" completed by any WCC authorized service center.

Tags
p32, recall, workhorse