Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #1

How do I install a temperature sensor on Transmission

I have a 1995 P-32 Chassis with a 454 engine and a 4L80 transmission with a 1996 35ft Rexhall Aerbus. On my last trip to Vegas, the Grand Canyon and other stops, the engine got hot while climbing long hills. I get that that is somewhat normal. I can watch the engine temperature but it was recommended to me to install a transmission temperature gauge so I can watch how hot the transmission gets. I do not know were on the transmission to install a sensor or what sensor to install. Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:23 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here is a link to some discussions about a 454 Chevy tranny oil gauge--

sensor

I had a 454 Chevy MH some years ago. I drilled a hole into the tranny oil pan and installed an electric sensor and the gauge onto my dashboard. It worked fine.
If I remember right, I drained the oil out of the tranny by loosening the oil pan bolts and letting the old fluid drain out into an oil change plastic pan. Then I removed the tranny oil pan and cleaned it up, and R&R the oil filter. The hole I drilled into the tranny oil pan was low, on the left (drivers) side of the pan. The sensor was installed and tightened by a seal and a nut on the inside of the pan- of course new tranny fluid was added and checked for leaks and proper level after the engine was started and warmed up.

Good luck,
Old 11-02-2015, 12:14 PM   #3

What about just getting a ScanGauge II?
Old 11-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The above suggestion is a good one. Check to see if you have an OBDII port. It is the Computer connector that is usually under the steering wheel on 1996 and newer vehicles. If you have one ScangaugeII will probably work. I have used them in my vehicles for many years and love them.

Vehicle Compatibility : Linear Logic - Home of the ScanGauge
brucev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 08:31 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
If you have OBD II I would get the scangauge,

There is a test port on the driverside of the trans, 1/8npt, you can unscrew the test port bolt and your temp probe for your temp gauge will install right into this.

I did it this way, as I have OBD I

Here is a link to what the test port looks like
Bowtie Overdrives - Pressure Gauge Installation Instructions

This is the gauge I installed, it was easy, if you need pictures or anything else let me know.

http://www.amazon.com/Auto-Meter-264...ter+trans+temp

After re reading your post, I see yours is a 1995, 90% is that you have OBD I, and will have to use an after market gauge.
Old 11-03-2015, 06:20 PM   #6

Thanks to all that replied. Since I have the ODB I I will be using the suggestion by CJ7365 and have already ordered the gauge.
I wish I have the ODB II but I have what I have and I will make the best of it. DW and I really like the Aerbus.

Thanks again.
Steven
scdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 06:44 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by scdiver View Post
Thanks to all that replied. Since I have the ODB I I will be using the suggestion by CJ7365 and have already ordered the gauge.
I wish I have the ODB II but I have what I have and I will make the best of it. DW and I really like the Aerbus.

Thanks again.
Steven
Same here, as I already have a scan gauge for my other vehicles. But this turned out good anyways, I also installed an RPM gauge right next to the temp gauge, same type and brand so they match.

Tags
install, transmission