Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking about getting set up so I can pull a toad if I ever want or need to. The lightest vehicle I own is a '00 Chev. Bazer S-10, 4 WD. Will the P-32 pull it OK?
How does the toad affect handling? My Damon handles fine, even pulling the 2 axle boat or single axle MC trailer.
I can never figure out why so many people want or feel they need trac or sway bars or other suspension upgrades. Does a toad follow nice and straight like a trailer? I know there is no tongue weight with a toad and that could be a negative in handling, at least I would think it could be. Since the toad adds no weight to the suspension of the MH, I consider it 'dead weight'. Is the toad the reason some want the sway bars?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2007, 06:15 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm thinking about getting set up so I can pull a toad if I ever want or need to. The lightest vehicle I own is a '00 Chev. Bazer S-10, 4 WD. Will the P-32 pull it OK?
How does the toad affect handling? My Damon handles fine, even pulling the 2 axle boat or single axle MC trailer.
I can never figure out why so many people want or feel they need trac or sway bars or other suspension upgrades. Does a toad follow nice and straight like a trailer? I know there is no tongue weight with a toad and that could be a negative in handling, at least I would think it could be. Since the toad adds no weight to the suspension of the MH, I consider it 'dead weight'. Is the toad the reason some want the sway bars?
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-13-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Max you have a 18K GVW P series and the combined weight rating for your unit is 22,000 pounds. So .. we can safely determine that your tow rating is going to be 4,000 pounds. There are many vehicles in that weight range so finding a toad that is compatible to your equipment shouldn't be too difficult.

After market suspension products may be of benefit to you but if you don't see the need then the imperative to have after market suspension products doesn't exist. The toad should follow the motorhome wherever it goes. Just make sure you get a good auxiliary braking system.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 06:18 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max
I tow a Jeep Liberty with a Winnebago Brave on a P32 chassis. The Liberty weighs approximately 4,000 lbs and you can't tell it's back there until you come to a hill, then it slows the MH down some. If anything, it stabilizes the MH some in cross winds and when passing semi's. You should have no problems towing the Blazer.

Tom

Ultrapower Mod, CAI, Super Steer Springs, Super Steer Bell Crank, SAFE-T-PLUS, Rear Stabilizer Bar, AERO Mufflers
TOMF1936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2007, 05:40 PM   #5

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Max I tow a 2001 S-10 Blazer, 4Wd and have no problems. The motor home pulls the vehicle and brakes well. I use a Blue Ox tow bar, base plate and Apollo brake set up with breakaway feature. This is helpfull when braking from higher speeds.

Check you owners manual covering flat towing for the proper procedures. I place the transfer case in neutral, set the shift lever to park, turn key to release the steering lock, but not on and pull 2 fuses.

Of course you will feel it back there when on grades but nothing serious
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 05:40 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depchief, I think you might have a W20 chassis, not a P32, because I have the same MH and it's on a W20. I know some of the early '04 Braves didn't have the 5 speed Allison and thay may have been on the P32, but I don't know for sure...but I digress.

Anyway, back to the original question. I tow a 2001 S10 ZR2 4WD that weighs 4300#, give or take a few gallons of gas. My Brave is on the W20 chassis and it's rated to tow 5000# so that should give you a ballpark figure.

Max49, from your signature I suspect that you might not have a P32 either. You may have a W20 or a W22. Check your owners manual to be sure because I sure as heck don't know what you have.

Depchief, you are forgiven for not knowing what you are driving. Most of our Chief Officers didn't either. Signed, a retired FF/PM. LOL.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the vote of confidence. Im going to go for it.
I tried to put the transfer case into neutal. I've never did that before since it was new. I almost gave up, it kept going back and forth between 2Hi and 4Lo. Finally it went into neutral. Hope it's not that hard after it gets used to doing it.
Depchiep, is it necessary to put the transmission in park, instead of neutral? What 2 fuses do you pull? Is that necessary? I turned the key back one notch from the on position and the steering unlocked but there was one 'battery' light on.
I'm thinking about making my own towbar connection or base plate. My Blazer has 2 hooks on the front, connected to the frame, in case it gets stuck, I guess. It would be easy to get some 1" X 2" X 13" steel, drill and tap it for 7/16" bolts, 2 bolts on each side. I would think that would be better built and stronger than some of the 5000 lb rated towbars I've looked at.
So what kind of brake system do most of you use if money is an object. Easy DIY installation is also important.
Skipsor, Im sure I have the P-32. It has a 4 speed Chevy Trans, IFS front suspension with coil springs and air bags.
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-15-2007, 09:26 PM   #8

As far as useing the "factory" tow hooks for mounting your tow bar, I would not suggest it. My '04 Silverado has tow hooks but the "base plates" ties the frame rails together and gives much more "beef" for towiing. The owner's manual even states not to tow with the "hooks". For what the base plate is expected to do, I wouldn't skimp on a "work around". Good luck!
retired2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 05:57 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Skipsor I beg to differ with your post as I am sure that I have a P-32 Workhorse chassis. The vehicle is equipped with independent front suspension, coil springs with air bags rated 6000 lbs and also has the 4 speed GM transmission. I wish I had the Allison 5 speed but thats life.

Your remark concerning not knowing what I am driving is taken as tongue in cheek, hopefully your department graduated from horse drawn, steam buggies to motorized mechanical units during your career
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-16-2007, 06:14 AM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Max
When you put the transmission shift lever in neutral and push both 2 wheel high and 4 wheel low buttons it will take a some time to go to neutral. Then put the shift lever in park. The owners manual covers the procedure and states to use Park. I ran in neutral for many miles until I reread the booklet. The transmission will make a grinding noise when the shift lever is moved to and from Park.

The fuses to pull are #19 15 amp, RDO Batt, lower left of panel and #11 10 amp noted as CLSTR. Located in the second row from top.This is the Cluster.
When you remove the #19 fuse this will shut off the small "battery" icon on the cluster.

I have given thought to installing switches in the fuse circuits but have not done it to date. This would allow me to just turn switch off or on rather then remove the fuses each time I hook up.

The base plate is really simple as it connects to the tow hook area and comes thru the openings in the plastic lower grille openings, I still have the tow hooks installed. Remember to use high grade bolts.

Check out the Blue OX Appolo brake system, go on line "Google" brake systems and see an outfit in Oregon who has re manufactured units cheap.

As stated previously the P-32 pulls the Blazer with little effort, good luck
"Everyone Goes Home"
Old 04-16-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by depchief:
I have given thought to installing switches in the fuse circuits but have not done it to date. This would allow me to just turn switch off or on rather then remove the fuses each time I hook up. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I have a push operated SPST switch under the dash that opens my BCM Cluster fuse. The fuse is only a 5 Amp but it's the only one that requires pulling on a 2004 Vue.

A switch is the way you want to go!
Old 04-16-2007, 06:01 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depchief, it was absolutely meant as tongue in cheek but what is this motorized apparatus you mention? We've never heard of it.

120 years of tradition unhampered by progress.

Max 49 and depchief, I stand corrected.
skipsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 07:10 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks Depchief, that was helful to know what fuses to pull and Ill remember to put it in park, altho I don't understand why.
Those brake systems are expensive! How about those towbars with surge brakes. Anyone have one of these? I like surge brakes on a trailer but those cables running thru the toad firwall to the brake pedal looks like lots of fun to install and will probably need plenty of adjusting too.
Does anyone pull without toad brakes?
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-17-2007, 04:39 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Does anyone pull without toad brakes? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The laws in your home state of Colorado "require" auxilliary barking systems for towed vehicles over 3,000 pounds. I would not put any credence into what anyone may tell you about towing without an auxilliary brake system in place.

You can get surge brakes on a tow dolly but if you want to tow 4 wheels down I do not believe there is an option for surge brakes.