Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-22-2010, 02:44 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question How much is "out of level" for a coach??

I recently received some excellent feedback on this forum prompting me to install a rear sway bar on our W24 next spring. Thanks all.

Now, last week on our trip in Virginia my wife had occassion to follow me in a car, and said the coach was leaning quite a bit to the left all the time. (as a decorator she has unbelievable eye judgement). I measured and sure enough there is a half an inch difference, the right passenger side being 0.50 inches higher than the drivers side. Understandable as the fridge, kitchen, hydraulics, propane tank, and generator are all on that side. Yes I can balance out somewhat with weight storage distribution but not enough. And while I've weighed the unit, we have not found a location yet for the 4 point weighing. But that aside, the unit leans.

So:
Is a half inch difference a lot or not? Is it "ok and no big deal" or is it, "gosh guy, you better do something fast" kind of deal.

I looked and can get a pair of Air Lift airbags that would correct the problem. Those together with the new sway bar next spring could make for a nice handling coach - or maybe not. Its conjecture for me at the moment.

I value others experiences and all input welcome.

Take care all,
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-22-2010, 02:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
I looked and can get a pair of Air Lift airbags that would correct the problem. Those together with the new sway bar next spring could make for a nice handling coach - or maybe not. Its conjecture for me at the moment.
johnandcaren, Correct! Air bags are made for leveling a gas coach and when used in that application they can do some excellent work. I believe that some models of Rexhall came OE with air bags for that purpose as well.

An RV owner should only attempt to resolve identified issues that present a challenge and be cautious about throwing money at a problem that may not be properly addressed by the intended solution.

Now that said; the application of hundreds of dollars of equipment to improve a 1/2" defficiency may not be an equitable solution.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 10:27 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver

This weekend I rechecked. While it is a half an inch difference from the ground to the fender well centerline, it is only a quarter of an inch under the unit, that from the top of the axle to the bottom of the chassis frame (channel). One side 4 3/8 and the other side 4 1/8 inch.

You saying that is not much is the answer I was looking for.

If correcting this was a good idea, I was hoping for a double bang for my buck, believing that the Air Lift air bags would help the harsh ride as well as level the unit.

Oh well, on with the show.
Old 10-25-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
You shouldn't have to worry about the fridge. Most are designed for 3 degrees side to side, and 6 degrees front to back, as you are looking at it. One quarter or 1/2 inch isn't going to hurt it, especially with all the rockin' and rollin' when going down the highway. I don't know about any other wear and tear that could be affected.

Good luck.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 09:01 PM   #5

Could more weight on the right mean more wear for those tires? I don't know how motor home wheels are rotated, but could it be cause to do it more frequently to even out tire wear?
Old 10-27-2010, 07:56 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP Thanks

Thanks.

My concern was not the fridge or similar items, but the "safety", "stability" and "performance" of the chassis. That is, would this much out of level result in worn tires, poor steering, or more importantly, a premature failure of the leaf springs. If any of these were true, it would be worth the investment to have Air Lift bags installed. If they are false, no need to waste money.

Assume without further post that, according to irv2 folks, its no big deal.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Did you notice this small difference before or after the rear sway bar was installed?

When installing my rear bar, I made sure the ground, chassis and box were perfectly level before securing the sway bar. Was worried about it introducing a lean. Maybe a bit picky but better to be sure.

I am one of those '07 W24 chassis owners who knew immediately that I needed all the extra chassis improvements to make it safe and stress free to drive. Put a few miles on first then got out the checkbook and toolbox to make it right.

Safe travels.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:39 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrobinryan View Post
I am one of those '07 W24 chassis owners who knew immediately that I needed all the extra chassis improvements to make it safe and stress free to drive. Put a few miles on first then got out the checkbook and toolbox to make it right.
that's exactly how it should be done!
Old 10-27-2010, 10:56 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP reply

The sway bar is next spring. The is none now.
Driven about 1500 miles this year in 8 short trips.
Already got out check book with Koni shocks and front trac bar.

Current highest priority is sway bar, or roll if it were an airplane. Hence the sway bar.

If budget allows, a rear trac bar at the same time, but may not have bucks for both.

Cause of this post was for me to give a priority to the "lean". All things considered believe that problem is "low" on the list.

But you raise an interesting option. When the sway bar is installed next spring, I could preload, or pretension it to introduce a force countering the current lean. May not help much - or any for that matter. But worth a try.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
The sway bar is next spring. The is none now.
Driven about 1500 miles this year in 8 short trips.
Already got out check book with Koni shocks and front trac bar..
Get the rear track bar 1st and FSDs. You will thank me later.
Old 10-27-2010, 11:16 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Get the rear track bar 1st and FSDs. You will thank me later.

Agreed. Tail wagging was biggest "driving" issue I had.
jackrobinryan is offline   Reply With Quote