Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-20-2017, 02:07 PM   #1

How much power gained by no cats and dual exhaust?

I recently bought an 04 Coachmen which I was told had "duals" added by a previous owner. There are Magnaflow tips coming out the sides and I smell raw exhaust like my old muscle car when driving behind it Assuming the cats were removed, how much will replacing them choke the power? She is slow enough already. I have been told that even high flow cats are not really that free breathing but I may have to do something.

Are any of you actually running no cats?
nuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 05:18 PM   #2

Well look underneath and see if there are any cats. Not sure of the cost to add them but removing them from a vehicle that came with them is I believe against the law.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70ChevelleSS View Post
Well look underneath and see if there are any cats. Not sure of the cost to add them but removing them from a vehicle that came with them is I believe against the law.
Yeah Ill have it on a hoist tomorrow to see the actual setup he did, but I am certain they are gone. There is rich exhaust and then there is raw exhaust and this is 60s raw. No question it is illegal to tamper but I am in Canada and we don't emissions test in most provinces. From what I can see it looks like a really professional job but I don't know the reason why someone wouldn't add cats in after spending all that money on an upgrade unless there is a notorious power loss from the cats on the 8.1. I know the factory cats are really pricey but there are a bunch of cheaper aftermarket options. Was the previous owner really knowledgeable or just dumb? I don't know enough about the 8.1 to even guess.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #4

Pretty sure it is illegal in Canada. They wont certify in Ontario without them. If you live in southern Ontario, you need emission tests every few years. If your province doesnt require a certification when you sell it, or emissions, you are probably ok. If not, selling it uncertified can be an issue. I know in Ontario it is hard to sell an rv that is not certified. Most people are scared of the unknown. They probably would be pricey devils for sure.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Pretty sure it is illegal in Canada. They wont certify in Ontario without them. If you live in southern Ontario, you need emission tests every few years. If your province doesnt require a certification when you sell it, or emissions, you are probably ok. If not, selling it uncertified can be an issue. I know in Ontario it is hard to sell an rv that is not certified. Most people are scared of the unknown. They probably would be pricey devils for sure.
It has been in Canada since 2011 and Manitoba and Alberta since 2013 so mods definitely done here. It was certified in Manitoba by the previous owner and we don't sniff test here so I am not worried about the govt. I would like to know what others have done as far as cat upgrades though.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:58 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuck View Post
It has been in Canada since 2011 and Manitoba and Alberta since 2013 so mods definitely done here. It was certified in Manitoba by the previous owner and we don't sniff test here so I am not worried about the govt. I would like to know what others have done as far as cat upgrades though.
I had a factory cat damaged on a Corvette I bought several years ago, caused a ck engine light. I replaced it with a Magnaflow high flow cat. Still got the light a few times, so I put a factory cats back on. I have never seen any proof that running cat less improves power or mileage. I know a lot of guys in the Corvette world tried running with out, and can't stand the stink even on a well tuned engine. My W22 has duel exhaust from the factory, with cats, no stink, and it will stay that way.

2003 Dolphin 5320 sold
Charlie 5320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 01:32 AM   #7

I would be surprised is someone removed the cats. If it looks like a professional installation then it was most likely done by a shop. Not many muffler shops will break the law and remove the cats. Not around here anyway.

The correct cat for the vehicle doesn't reduce power very much if any unless its plugged up.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 05 has dual exhaust and two cats. It also has good power and 8 MPG. Not bad for a 36ft. MH pulling a car behind it at 65 MPH/2300 Rpms.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 07:20 AM   #9

How much power gained by no cats and dual exhaust?

The Cats on my W24 are huge. They might reduce power a small amount but I don't think it's anything you will notice. Random Tech makes some nice freer flowing Cats but not sure if they make a size for your system. I would check Ultra RV Products web site to see what they have available. The stock system was bolted together and that would make installation simpler, however if your system is now welded that could be a bigger problem.

I know a few people who removed Cats from their Corvette and picked up some horsepower, however they also stated the stench was horrible and most reinstall as a result.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:01 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would first check to see if the check engine light is working. It should come one momentarly when you turn the key on. Then check to see if any codes are in the OBDII computer. The new high flow cat's have very little restricksion and these chassis do not have an after cat O2 sensors so there shouldn't be any problems.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
I know someone that gutted their Cats so even if you see them under there, there might be nothing in them.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2017, 10:44 PM   #12

No CEL and the cats are there although they might have been reamed out and the O2 sensors could just be sims to fool the PCM. Maybe just running really rich I guess but I would be expecting more of a gasoline smell. The investigation continues Thanks for the responses.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:22 AM   #13

Grand Design Owners Club
By exhaust smell are you referring a the rotten egg/sulphur odor? If so the cats are probably functioning but being taxed by an overly rich fuel mixture. Also sometimes the fuel itself has a higher sulphur content but is generally not as strong of a smell as running rich. You can measure temp on pipes at converter at after driving to determine if they have been gutted. If working outlet pipe will be hotter than inlet.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cat, power