Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2010, 05:53 PM   #43

Alpine Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
My condolences on the dead crank, may it Rest In Pieces...

All's for the good Max...You have the receipts, so should be no worries on warranty replacement..
mythplaced is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2010, 07:59 AM   #44

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The shop foreman told me the front will be 6' in the air and they take the engine out the bottom. I hope he is'nt surprised to find my MH is not like the other ones (possibly W series), that he has done .
I did have different WCC svc center ask me which chassis I had. When I told her, the P-32, she said that was an easy one. She did not ask if I had a drivers door.
Anyone have an idea why the P-32 would be "an easy engine R&R?
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Anyone have an idea why the P-32 would be "an easy engine R&R?
Max, I had the same question and I called my service center who has been in business for many years here in Myrtle Beach. None of the 3 options he offered involved removing the independent suspension from under the P series and yanking the engine out of the bottom of the rig.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 12:57 PM   #46

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have plenty of things to worry about with this situation. I guess I'll add hoping they know how to do this job. If I had a choice between the engine blowing up or the MH burning to the ground, I can definitly see some advantages to the latter.
Have you ever heard of taking the entire front cap off to change the engine? Any way sounds scary to me.
Hope they bid it right for the warranty co. and don't try to ding me for extras they didn't think of.
Do they have a standard price book for doing different jobs on MHs like they do for cars?
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-15-2010, 10:01 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Have you ever heard of taking the entire front cap off to change the engine? Any way sounds scary to me.
Max, That certainly is troubling and I have not heard of such a practice.

Would you be able to call the Damon Service Department and ask them how they do it? Inquiring minds ...
Old 08-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #48

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Taking the front cap off was only my nightmare. I went to visit the beast today and take the original maintenance records and receipts down just in case the warranty co doesn't like the faxed copies. I took a couple pics of it.

I didn't crawl under it, but that is 2 piston rods and part of the crank. When I said, "this is not an oil related failure", he said "no, that's a manufacturing defect. You can see this has been broken part way through for awhile"

Burt is sticking to the 'take the engine out the bottom'.

After seeing Drivers question, I just called Damon. He said even tho it is a P-32 most shops still unbolt the front axle and take the engine out the bottom. He said to take it out the dog house, you have disassemble the engine more and either remove the windshield unless it will fit out the driver door after the steering column is removed. He said, out the bottom is the customary way.
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-16-2010, 09:46 AM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
After seeing Drivers question, I just called Damon. He said even tho it is a P-32 most shops still unbolt the front axle and take the engine out the bottom. He said to take it out the dog house, you have disassemble the engine more and either remove the windshield unless it will fit out the driver door after the steering column is removed. He said, out the bottom is the customary way.
Max, If that works for your dealer then that's OK with me. Not saying it's impossible to R&R the IFS suspension and restore it, it's just not as easy as a W series. It looks like you're moving toward a resolution at least the rig is in the barn.

That was a good move to call the body builder!
Old 08-17-2010, 04:40 PM   #50

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
True, it's inside taking up a big bay.
The extended warrant rep looked at it today. The Burt rep said he tried to convince him that with only 28,000 mi. that I should get a new engine. He said he agreed but he can't make that call, it would be up to the insurance co.
Anyone have any advice for me , if needed, to try to leverage a new engine instead of a 'reman' engine?
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-17-2010, 05:05 PM   #51

Tiffin Owners Club
Max, Driver would know better than me but from my experiance during my boating years if you could have a say in where a rebuilt engine comes from, some of the aftermarket parts used in the rebuild could end up being better than the stock GM stuff. GM pretty much mass produces these engines and the tolerences used in assembly might not be as good as a recommended rebuilder might use. Just a thought.

Good Luck
Sammie
Sammie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 05:22 PM   #52
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Anyone have any advice for me , if needed, to try to leverage a new engine instead of a 'reman' engine?
Max, a new engine from an after market ins co is going to be a miracle. I'd settle for a Jasper or something along those lines. Bet you only get a 90 day warranty on the motor .... ain't that something!

Check that out and let us know. I have read over in the Ford Forum where a Jasper V10 failed and had to be replaced again w/i the short warranty period. If it is going to fail most likely it'll fail early on. I tell ya haul that thing up the Eisenhower and if it makes it OK you might just be good to go.
Old 08-17-2010, 06:32 PM   #53

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hmm, Jasper must not have much confidence in their engine with a warranty like that. According to Mutha's post 27 , GM 'remans' are about $6000 and 36 Mo. 100,000 mi warranty. Dalmer remans are about $4000 and 12 Mo, 12000 mi warranty.
I guess I'll just have to hope to get a good one next time. Extended warranty is until May 2, 2012 or 75,000 Mi. so I'll have 18 months with them backing up what ever the engine warranty does'nt. At least I hope so.
Denver, Colorado
Old 08-17-2010, 06:44 PM   #54

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Max, Dalmer does not have anymore "new" "complete engines? Did not think they would be gone so fastMike
Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #55

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Jasper engines have a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty on parts & labor. You can also buy additional warranty add-ons from them like rental car coverage, higher labor rate coverage, etc. at time of purchase for reasonable cost.

Just thought I should clear up the confusion on that so you don't discount them as another viable alternative when looking for an engine.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 07:31 PM   #56
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonBrazel View Post
Jasper engines have a 3 year / 100,000 mile warranty on parts & labor. You can also buy additional warranty add-ons from them like rental car coverage, higher labor rate coverage, etc. at time of purchase for reasonable cost.

Just thought I should clear up the confusion on that so you don't discount them as another viable alternative when looking for an engine.
Thank you!