Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 04:29 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via AIM to tmw188
How to confirm a Workhorse has a Allison transmission and what type

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
The Arens "push button" shifter was an option available to all WCC customers, however very few chassis were ordered with it. I'm not sure how much more it cost vs. the traditional column mounted stalk, but apparently it was enough more $$ to render it unpopular with the coach builders. I don't know how many years it was available, but I think an Allison brand shifter was never offered on their gassers.

I have the Arens shift pad on my Dolphin and really like it, which is probably why I don’t have a need to keep my grade brake turned on because I can choose to down shift and then upshift back into Drive as I like manually. I have used the grade brake on winding grades where I want both hands on the wheel. I was asking about the mention of OD on the shift lever models? I don’t have OD option on my transmission. The Arens shift pad does have the Mode button and works really awesome as well. I wonder if the Arens shift pad was available for all W24 models until they quit production? It was sort of on my want list when I was shopping for my coach, and Ed he was there helping me along with my questions as he has with others. [emoji106]
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 04:30 PM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stMH View Post
Hi Ed,

Was the push button tranmission mounted on the side wall?

The coach I am looking at has a drivers door so maybe thats why it has a column shifter.

No it was a special order option.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:35 PM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
YOu can look at the Transmission, YOu can decode the VIN (Vin) or the fact it has a Grade Brake, in 2005 that would be an Allison.

Same as mine.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:36 PM   #18

I can think if a few hills were the grade will be helpful.
Being able to keep bith hands on the wheel and not change gears manually is nice.
Old 04-27-2018, 05:37 PM   #19

Thanks John,

There is a grade brake botton on the dash.
Old 04-27-2018, 06:05 PM   #20

Allison Transmission

Hello all , I have a 2008 National Dolphin with a W24 chassis. I t does have a Grade brake with a Pad shift instead of a column shift and is a 6 speed 2100 Allison Trans with a 8.1 Chevy Gasser Motor, great combination. My previous coach was a 05 Dolphin with a W22 chassis and it had a column shift and it also was a 8.1 Chevy Gasser. It did have a grade Brake and was a 5 speed 1000 Allison Trans was a great coach and grade brake worked very well on steep inclines. But the 6 speed trans makes all the diff when climbing steep grades, i have no problem maintaining 60 MPH on 7% uphill grades only shifting down to 3 gear at 3200 rpm , the extra gear makes a Hough diff in performance! Just saying !!!
Gpsmith620 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:01 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsmith620 View Post
Hello all , I have a 2008 National Dolphin with a W24 chassis. I t does have a Grade brake with a Pad shift instead of a column shift and is a 6 speed 2100 Allison Trans with a 8.1 Chevy Gasser Motor, great combination. My previous coach was a 05 Dolphin with a W22 chassis and it had a column shift and it also was a 8.1 Chevy Gasser. It did have a grade Brake and was a 5 speed 1000 Allison Trans was a great coach and grade brake worked very well on steep inclines. But the 6 speed trans makes all the diff when climbing steep grades, i have no problem maintaining 60 MPH on 7% uphill grades only shifting down to 3 gear at 3200 rpm , the extra gear makes a Hough diff in performance! Just saying !!!

Glad you are enjoying your W-24. FWIW, I believe your tranny is a 2350. The 2100 was the model that didn’t have a park pawl and therefore got the J72 AAPB.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 07:24 PM   #22

Hi Gpssmith,

I would love a 6 speed but none are available in this coach in my budget.
Old 04-27-2018, 08:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmw188 View Post
I have the Arens shift pad on my Dolphin and really like it, which is probably why I don’t have a need to keep my grade brake turned on because I can choose to down shift and then upshift back into Drive as I like manually. I have used the grade brake on winding grades where I want both hands on the wheel. I was asking about the mention of OD on the shift lever models? I don’t have OD option on my transmission. The Arens shift pad does have the Mode button and works really awesome as well. I wonder if the Arens shift pad was available for all W24 models until they quit production? It was sort of on my want list when I was shopping for my coach, and Ed he was there helping me along with my questions as he has with others. [emoji106]
According to the WCC Chassis Guide, all W-series chassis (with Allison trannies) got the Grade Brake feature beginning with the 2005 model year.

IF the coach builder ordered the Arens PB shifter, the OD on/off switch was deleted. I assume this option was available thru the end of production and I do NOT think it was limited to only the W-24/25 chassis.
The coach builder determined "where" the Arens shift pad is located
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 05:26 PM   #24

Folks,

Things did not go so well with the Pace arrow

On the way home we stopped a local rv shop to tour a 2008 Ithasca Latitude 37g, it has the 6 soeed 2100 electronic shifter.

After the test drive I put a deposit on the coach.
Old 04-28-2018, 05:56 PM   #25

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Folks,

Things did not go so well with the Pace arrow

On the way home we stopped a local rv shop to tour a 2008 Ithasca Latitude 37g, it has the 6 soeed 2100 electronic shifter.

After the test drive I put a deposit on the coach.
Well, we need some pictures bud
Old 04-28-2018, 06:02 PM   #26

Here you go. Its a UFO.

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/200...37G-5000296632
Old 04-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #27

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Nice looking RV, a few UFO chassis owner here, with a lot of great information.

Congrats
Old 04-28-2018, 06:30 PM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very nice. I hope you do the same due diligence with this unit too. Inquire about the refrigerator many of the Norcold 1200's have performance and safety issues. A day before your next visit have them turn that refrigerator on and ask them to put a few bottles of drinking water in it and a ice tray in the freezer. Twenty four hours before your visit should be enough time for it to get cold on propane. Have them verify too that the Norcold safety device is installed. If that refrigerator is not working very well it could end up being a real PITA for you. I had a 1200 series and it consumed me and took much of the enjoyment on many of our first trips.

Tags
workhorse, allison, transmission