Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #1

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I asked this question mixed in with other topics and never got an answer so I'd like to try again.

On my original IP , I never ever saw the
'P R N OD D 2 1'.
I got the IP replaced and for the first time, I saw the gear indicator in the IP. It was neat, something different and pretty big letters that I could read without my glasses.
Then I wanted to make sure I had the 'Trip' 1 and 2, and the gas mileage etc.
Well, that all worked too, but I have never been able to get the gear indicator back.
Any one know how to get it back, or has anyone else had this happen?

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2007, 06:10 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I asked this question mixed in with other topics and never got an answer so I'd like to try again.

On my original IP , I never ever saw the
'P R N OD D 2 1'.
I got the IP replaced and for the first time, I saw the gear indicator in the IP. It was neat, something different and pretty big letters that I could read without my glasses.
Then I wanted to make sure I had the 'Trip' 1 and 2, and the gas mileage etc.
Well, that all worked too, but I have never been able to get the gear indicator back.
Any one know how to get it back, or has anyone else had this happen?

Old 05-18-2007, 02:41 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have two buttons, Mode and Trip, if you press Mode up pops the menu, cycle through all the options, I think the PRNDL is on the first menu level (main menu) and I think it's the last item

I can look it up if you like later on, I hit the road Monday AM but personally hardly ever use the indicator as I shift gears "By feel"

Full up = park, down one is Reverse, then Neutral, then Drive, and that's about all I ever use save some very special cases
Old 05-18-2007, 03:53 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is an Actia manual with all sorts of info in it - including the instructions John just gave you.
At one time the manual could be downloaded from the Workhorse site but the url is no longer active.
I downloaded it back then but printed it and now can't find the the pdf file. I may have lost it in a hard drive crash.

Maybe some has still has the pdf file and can send it to you.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:12 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
Any one know how to get it back, or has anyone else had this happen? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Push and hold the "Mode" button for about 1.5 seconds

You will see 3 options in front of you. Press the "Mode" button one mode time. That will advance the highlight to the "center position" and then let'r go. In about another second the IP will select that function and it will display the large PRNDL letters along with I believe your voltage.

Have a swell day Max!

On edit this routine applies for all motorhomes equipped with Allison transmissions using digital IPs.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 04:07 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the help John D, Clay L and Driver, but mine must be different.
When I hit mode, I get 2 choices, 'oil pressure or tip computer' when I hit trip computer I get many more choices
inst fuel econ.
avg fuel econ.
avg veh spd
fuel range
outside temp
cluster diagnostics
Diagnostics opens a bunch more stuff like
contrast
software version
Part #
max. speed
max. rpm
engine hrs.
There just is'nt a PRNDD21 choice.
The software version is 104348V03_01
Part# W0006914, just in case this means any thing.
It's strange that I never saw it with the 1st IP and I only saw it once before I hit the trip button, to never see it again.
At one point I was thinking that maybe that 'gear selection' was just for the Allison transmission but that doesn't expain why it was there, and worked, when it was new.
I've got pretty used to being able to tell if I'm in D or OD just by the height of the gearshift but the gear indicator, on top of the steering column is very difficult to see and worse at night.
Old 05-18-2007, 04:10 PM   #7
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by max49:
At one point I was thinking that maybe that 'gear selection' was just for the Allison transmission but that doesn't explain why it was there, and worked, when it was new. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Max, I believe you have a GM 4L85-E, 4 Speed Transmission. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Just curious, what does your owner's manual say about your gear shift selector or quadrant?
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2007, 06:43 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, yes I have the GM 4L85 transmission..
I don't know about -E.
After reading your reply , I got out the WH manual. I thought I had it figured out when it said

0.0 mi 13.8 V
PRND321

was the factory default LCD Screen Layout. I thought 'bingo' , I just have to hit the 'restore default' setting. Back to MH I go.
Ugh, did'nt change any thing, and my tach is stuck on 6000 RPM after I turned it off in the middle of the tachometer test. "Oh, what did I do now?"
So back to the owners manual I go.
Then I see "The LCD Screen indicates transmission gear selection on vehicles equipped with automatiic transmission". Then in parenthesis ("if the steering column is not equipped with a gear selection indicator")
Well duh! But it was neat for 30 or 45 seconds, when I first got the new IP, til I hit the trip button.
BTW I got the Tachometer back to normal by going back to the test and not interupting it.
Thanks again, that was fun.