Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2012, 12:14 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thumbs up I did install the Cooper/Hercules Tires

Some time back I had a thread going here on these tires and several people reccomended that that were using them.
I traveled up to Oregon, Eugene to Auto Pro tires on W 11th (Jim or Mike) and saved a ton of bucks and got some real old fashioned good service compared to Home shops in San Jose, also saved 8.25% sales tax.
Camper World at home had best price on Goodyear at 465.00 each for one size smaller then my G670 245/70r/19.5. I don't remember how much higher my size was. I bought this size in the Hercules tire LR G @ 4500 single and they are steer axle. I only have a 140 miles on them up to POrtland, OR so far but they are way quieter, and no longer pull to right side, especially on crowned roads. My old Goodyears were 10 years old with 15,000 miles just rolled over. these tires have a date of 11/12 so only a couple of months old.
I did a lot of research on these tires here and google etc and found a lot of people running them on W22 chassis and a couple people on their entire fleet of shop pickups 3/4 and 1 ton HD. A lot of truckers are using them too.
They Cost me 1492.00 for a set of 6, out the door and no tax. We are traveling on up to BC and then back the coast to San Jose so will soon know how we like them and will report here . I think that is all on this subject. I did note some RV's this size I looked at were running Sumitomo tires and those guys liked them really well and about the same price. Bebop
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-09-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Hope they work well for you. I recently bought my coach and it has the same tires just a few months old.
Old 07-09-2012, 02:14 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Cool.. Thanks for the feedback!
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:18 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I bought two hercules tires off Ebay for 435.00 no tax free shipping. Work great. Put 2,000 miles on them this month
ivan_drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 05:07 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Is this what u had installed ??

Hercules H-902 245/70R19.5 133L LRG BSW
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 11:14 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Ivan and Racefn for your replies. Those are exactly the tires I bought Racefn and they were 1492.00 for a set of 6 out the door, no tax in Oregon, just under 250.00 each. Less then half the price of goodyears, I replaced with 15,000 miles and 9 to 10 years on those originals. I only have driven on them for 100 miles from Eugene, to Portland, Oregon and I note a substantial improvement over the Goodyears, handling and tracking. they are regrooveable too so they have a lot of rubber on them. B
Old 07-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Just about any new tire will feel better than 10 year old ones...
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:06 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks, if you would be so kind as to let me know if you thoughts change on the tires it would be most appreciated, I will looking to replace mine in the fall.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:45 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cooper Herc tires and thetford pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
Thanks, if you would be so kind as to let me know if you thoughts change on the tires it would be most appreciated, I will looking to replace mine in the fall.
I will report on them periodically pro and con. I will check them tomorrow to see if they stlll have air in all of them and no leak down.
will be back traveling again starting on Thursdaly,
Today I bought e new 'thetford bravura toilet to install tomorrow. It was on sale for 189.00, reg price of 249.00. Saved 60 plus another 20 Calif sales tax, at camping world here in Portland Oregon.
Bebop
Old 07-15-2012, 05:43 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank u, all the best on you upgrades
Old 08-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I now have 1000 miles on these tires as I returned home. My only complaint is that they put something called Equal or equalizer in them for balancing. NO GOOD!!. the rear tires at 80 PSI cold are all running smooth but the steering axle at 95PSI cold wants to bounce at my max legal driving speed of 55 and tends to do it until I make a stop like a rest stop and then start out again. Other wise they want to hop all day. the dealer responded to me and advised to take that junk out of the steer axle tires and use wheel weights on them. I haven't done that yet cause I got home and went right into the hospital for surgery. Will let you know later, Bebop
Old 08-07-2012, 10:45 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Or maybe the tires are out of round? I've never been a fan of the powder balancing stuff. I prefer weights, and I don't bother balancing the rears either, just the fronts.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 11:12 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I had mixed luck with inside the tire balancing material. It felt like it would clump and it would be as you described. Sometimes, if I drove over a rumble strip or bot dots, it would balance out. I think the problem is the material tends to clump, or they just don't use enough of it.

Good luck with the surgery and recovery, btw.
Old 08-19-2012, 09:03 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am recovering from the surgery now after two weeks and starting to think about those bouncing wheels on the front axle. The Tire people I bought from up in Oregon tell me to have them balanced with wheel weights. I keep asking about getting that junk out of the tires but they keep evading me.
My question then is: Do the tires have to be dismounted and cleaned out and then remounted and cone balanced. I wonder if the stuff will just come out through the valve if you just bleed the air out to flat. Help somebody for an answer and thanks. It is getting time to do this soon. Bebop

Tags
install, tires