Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
I have reviewed the post on iginition problems and my problem seems a little different. My problem is this...From time to time the ignition key will not engage the starter. The first 5 times over 1.5 years the problem fixed itself after about 15 minutes of playing with the key and trying to start the coach. It just started for no reason and would not act up again for months at a time. That is until last week where it left me stranded for 7 hours and just as the help arrived, it started. My dealer tells me to get towed in when it happens, but it never seems to happen when I am able to take the time needed to have it towed. I have checked the wires in the steering column and they seem fine. When this happens, the starter relay fuse in the external fuse block clicks when the key is turned to activate the starter. I had the relay fused replaced and it did not fix the problem. The problem seems to be more related to the starter itself. But why does it start to work for no apparent reason. During the last incident of 7 hours, I checked every wire possible and tried every trick in the book to get the starter to engage, but in the end, it just started to work for no reason. The dealer says there is not much he can do to check it out when it is working properly. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:37 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I have reviewed the post on iginition problems and my problem seems a little different. My problem is this...From time to time the ignition key will not engage the starter. The first 5 times over 1.5 years the problem fixed itself after about 15 minutes of playing with the key and trying to start the coach. It just started for no reason and would not act up again for months at a time. That is until last week where it left me stranded for 7 hours and just as the help arrived, it started. My dealer tells me to get towed in when it happens, but it never seems to happen when I am able to take the time needed to have it towed. I have checked the wires in the steering column and they seem fine. When this happens, the starter relay fuse in the external fuse block clicks when the key is turned to activate the starter. I had the relay fused replaced and it did not fix the problem. The problem seems to be more related to the starter itself. But why does it start to work for no apparent reason. During the last incident of 7 hours, I checked every wire possible and tried every trick in the book to get the starter to engage, but in the end, it just started to work for no reason. The dealer says there is not much he can do to check it out when it is working properly. I would appreciate any suggestions anyone may have.
Thanks
Dave Killey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:04 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The very last service related issue I had with my rig after 45,000 miles was a bad starter. The starter would actually work if it got voltage to the windings but getting the solenoid to work each and every time was getting to become sporadic.

I was stuck and a tech came out to the campground were I was staying and since I had already gone through an entire litany of diagnostics he went right for the solenoid with a jumper wire and the engine fired up in a heartbeat. Subsequent to starting the MH and for quite some time afterward I had no trouble starting the engine. It's just like Russian roulette if the solenoid slip ring stops in the right place, you're not going to start that thing without some help.

You may have to take the plunge and buy a new starter or if you are under warranty you might present the solenoid intermittent fault as a possibility in the event you fail to start again.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 03:18 PM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

That's good advice from DriVer,also you may want to check the harness connection at the firewall(weatherpac)unbolt it to expose the connections & check for any corrosion.
Old 08-03-2006, 03:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
May I suggest a test prior to buying a starter? When the problem happens, clip a car starting jumper cable to the starter housing or bolt and the other end to the frame. Try the starter. You may have a ground problem as sometimes a ground cable is not run from the frame to the engine. The fix,if this works, is to of course run a ground cable.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:51 AM   #6

I had the same problem when my mh was new. Sometimes it would start, other times it would not. After sitting for a while, it would then start. One time I had it towed. When the mh was released from the tow truck, it started.
First fix was to replace the starter. That did not cure it.
Second fix was to tighten/replace a loose ground wire. That was 3 years ago, and the problem has not returned.
Old 08-03-2006, 04:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Have you tried to place a wiring sleeve around the wires going over the metal bend at the top of the steering post. Everytime you move the wheel to adjust you maybe shorting a wire in your ignition cable to your key switch.
Had about 5,000 miles when I was towed for this problem.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote