Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently replaced the ignition wires in my 2005 Allegra Bay (2004WH chassis). I got a set of Borg Warner Select wires from Pep Boys (part no. CH7877).

Twice in less than 1000 miles one of them has come off the spark plug. When you press them on, you can feel the spring at the bottom of the OEM metal insulator that goes over the spark plug end being compressed. It seems that the spring pressure and vibration are making them come off, as I found 2 more loose today. Do the Taylor wires clamp onto the plug better? These don't seem to have a great deal of clamping on the spark plug and come off pretty easy. If I put any dielectric grease on the boots (I didn't) I think the spring would push them right off.

Thanks for any help.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2008, 07:46 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I recently replaced the ignition wires in my 2005 Allegra Bay (2004WH chassis). I got a set of Borg Warner Select wires from Pep Boys (part no. CH7877).

Twice in less than 1000 miles one of them has come off the spark plug. When you press them on, you can feel the spring at the bottom of the OEM metal insulator that goes over the spark plug end being compressed. It seems that the spring pressure and vibration are making them come off, as I found 2 more loose today. Do the Taylor wires clamp onto the plug better? These don't seem to have a great deal of clamping on the spark plug and come off pretty easy. If I put any dielectric grease on the boots (I didn't) I think the spring would push them right off.

Thanks for any help.
deputydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 07:55 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I also use "Borg Warner select wires" and they have NEVER slipped off over the many years with an RV.....

Jim
JimElliott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:13 AM   #4
Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have factory replacement wires new in the box for 49.00,these are A/C Delco!
Old 06-30-2008, 02:56 PM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Of all the Taylor's I have installed I have to have one come off. If the springs are a problem, clip them off.
Old 06-30-2008, 04:20 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
When you install your wires it may be possible that the boot socket isn't seated all the way on the tip of the plug. It takes me quite a bit of effort and repeated pushes on the plug boot to make sure they are completely seated. Once they're seated it is my experience that a spark plug wire has not disengaged itself from the tip of the plug.

Most often once a plug wire is on, it is just as likely that a plug wire may break as not when you go to remove it. Regarding the new Taylors that I just installed, I broke 2 of the old wires just taking them off.

I can not vouch for Borg-Warner Select wires since I don't use them.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote