Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-24-2009, 12:47 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm a believer

OK. Call me a believer.

This summer we have traveled just over 11,000 miles (so far) since leaving Florida in April. We have been north to PA, west to MT, then up through AB, BC, YT and Alaska, and now in OR. On the way south through WA we stopped at Brazel’s RV Performance center for routine oil change and lube and other maintenance caused by wear and tear on the chassis. Their little camping area is really a nice accommodation for folks traveling through the area!

By now, the odometer is just over 66,000 miles and the RF tire on the W24 had developed a wear pattern on the outside edge and the steering wheel had a slight tendency to the right when under way. Before I knew it, technician Alan had it weighed, 23,115 lbs, and an eyeball of the tire showed a cupping pattern on the center rib of the tread. Curiously, I had felt no particular vibration from the problem causing the cupping. We agreed with Chris and Mike, the service writers, that the best plan was to replace both front tires and install Koni FSDs all around. Mike Bronzini called the local Les Schwab Tire Center just down the road in Centralia, WA and the following morning we had new Michelins installed. The weighing of the MH showed I was running too much air in the front tires and slightly under in the rear. So, now with 85 psi front and 100 psi rear and new Konis we are ready to go.

That did make a difference! Since leaving Brazel’s, we have not been on anything like the Top of the World highway in the Yukon Territory or the Cassiar highway in BC, but the ride certainly is nice and soft and the steering is dead-on neutral - more importantly, my copilot is pleased! . Most noticeable is how smoothly it rides across the edges of highway overpass bridges.

I have always been an advocate of knowing what the four corners of the MH weigh. But now I can vouch for how much difference proper tire pressure, a four-wheel alignment and a good set of shock absorbers can make.

My thanks to all of the crew at Brazel’s RV Performance Center. I look forward to the rest of the drive back to Florida!
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2009, 02:08 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 11:13 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Camarillo, CA ---Back in the house after 7 yrs fulltiming
I've had two co-pilots thank me for recommending Koni FSD shocks after they enjoyed the much smoother ride.
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 04:42 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sure is good to read a Positive success story,,,,,,,,can't go wrong with reports from folks on the forums........I rely on personal experiences in any thing I research,,,,and have not been disappointed yet..

Smooth Highways.
SideRoads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2009, 10:11 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ding-a-ling View Post
OK. Call me a believer.

This summer we have traveled just over 11,000 miles (so far) since leaving Florida in April. We have been north to PA, west to MT, then up through AB, BC, YT and Alaska, and now in OR. On the way south through WA we stopped at Brazel’s RV Performance center for routine oil change and lube and other maintenance caused by wear and tear on the chassis. Their little camping area is really a nice accommodation for folks traveling through the area!

By now, the odometer is just over 66,000 miles and the RF tire on the W24 had developed a wear pattern on the outside edge and the steering wheel had a slight tendency to the right when under way. Before I knew it, technician Alan had it weighed, 23,115 lbs, and an eyeball of the tire showed a cupping pattern on the center rib of the tread. Curiously, I had felt no particular vibration from the problem causing the cupping. We agreed with Chris and Mike, the service writers, that the best plan was to replace both front tires and install Koni FSDs all around. Mike Bronzini called the local Les Schwab Tire Center just down the road in Centralia, WA and the following morning we had new Michelins installed. The weighing of the MH showed I was running too much air in the front tires and slightly under in the rear. So, now with 85 psi front and 100 psi rear and new Konis we are ready to go.

That did make a difference! Since leaving Brazel’s, we have not been on anything like the Top of the World highway in the Yukon Territory or the Cassiar highway in BC, but the ride certainly is nice and soft and the steering is dead-on neutral - more importantly, my copilot is pleased! . Most noticeable is how smoothly it rides across the edges of highway overpass bridges.

I have always been an advocate of knowing what the four corners of the MH weigh. But now I can vouch for how much difference proper tire pressure, a four-wheel alignment and a good set of shock absorbers can make.

My thanks to all of the crew at Brazel’s RV Performance Center. I look forward to the rest of the drive back to Florida!
The guys out at Redlands did the same for us and we are very happy.
Old 09-25-2009, 10:20 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Excel Owners Club
I have met and talked to both of the guys at Brazel's and Redlands -Both companies are top notch. I am glad they are both on the West coast...but it sure would be nice for out east coast owners if one of them opened up an east coast satellite store!

Thanks again to both shops for being top notch ... and oh yeah...Happy Birthday Mike Brazel!!

MonacoMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2009, 07:33 AM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonacoMama View Post
...but it sure would be nice for out east coast owners if one of them opened up an east coast satellite store!

I'll second that!! Even with the economy, a quality shop with proven great customer service would do well on this side of the Mississippi. Especially with the vast number of iRV2 members on this side of the country.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:41 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
What pressure were you using in your tires before being weighed and going to 85/100??

BTW, I was weighed upon arrival at the 2009 iRV2 national rally and my weights were 23,200, front 7700, rear 15,500.

You going to be in Zepherhills again this winter??

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 02:36 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Tom, what pressures are you running?
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:48 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridaguy View Post
Tom, what pressures are you running?
90 front
95 rear

I have the same motorhome as Ding-A-Ling.

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 07:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Tom,
Don't ask why, but I had 105 Front & 95 Rear.

Front axle now 7,350, rear axle 15,760 - 23,110 total.

We bought a park model in American Condominiums Park-Zephyrhills. Can park the MH on the property.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2009, 08:22 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ding, I won't ask why but it looks like your fronts are considerably higher than required. Looking at the chart, it looks like 75 required and with an extra 5LBS for good measure, 80 should carry the load.
I'm running 235-80R-22.5 XRV, 90 Front & 95 Rear. I've never had a four corner weight done.

Front axle now 7,740, rear axle 14,760 - 22,500 total.
Floridakamper is offline   Reply With Quote