Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-08-2017, 11:58 AM   #1

Instructions for Allison 1000 transmission fluid change?

Does anyone have a link to a resource on how to change the fluid on the Allison 1000 that we have with the Chevy 8.1? I am on the road but will be at my father-in-law's house next week and want to change our transmission fluid. I know I should have done it before we left but I totally overlooked it. I have the spin-on filter and will pick up the fluid, but I am wondering what tools I will need. I just want to make sure I have what I need before I begin the job, since I won't have access to my garage full of sockets and wrenches.

Thanks again everyone!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-08-2017, 02:39 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
All you have to do is remove the drain plug and let the fluid out. It is best to not to have run the engine for a few days so more of the fluid in the torque converter will have drained but is not a necessity.
I measured the fluid so I would know how much to put back in. If your transmission has Transyd in it now I would be sure to replace it with Transyd or an approved substitute. If not I would use Transyd anyway. Allison says it is better for the transmission. Some time after 2004/2005 they all came with Transyd I believe .
One thing to note - be sure to remove the magnet on the filter and put it on the new one. It is a flat round ring on the top of the filter around the hole.
See Here for approved fluids.
Old 06-08-2017, 04:50 PM   #3

Sorry, I should have been more specific. What I mean is what size socket I will need, and do I need anything special to refill with the new fluid? Do I need to pump it into the tube where the dipstick is?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

I don't remember what size socket or wrench it takes, but it is a common size. I used a small hand pump to pump the fluid in through the dipstick. Other than the wrench for the drain and the pump, I didn't need any other tools. It is just like changing the oil.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 07:35 PM   #5

Thanks a lot! Any tips on how to easily measure the fluid when it comes out? I am buying all of this stuff at Wally World before getting to my FIL's house to do the drain/fill.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:17 PM   #6

I basically just eyeballed the amount I trained out by pouring it into 5qt oil jugs. Then did a few test runs to get the level in the proper range on the dipstick. If I remember correctly it takes about 2.5 gallons with the filter. Might want to double check the amount. I went with Transynd fluid and an Allison filter as that is what is recommended. I'm not sure if Walmart will have what you need, but they might. Don't forget to take the magnet off the old filter and put it on the new one.
Kxbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:38 PM   #7

Thanks! Since I am on the road I am going to go with normal fluid this time, then I will when I get home I will change to Transynd well before our next big trip.
Old 06-08-2017, 09:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgreer00 View Post
Thanks! Since I am on the road I am going to go with normal fluid this time, then I will when I get home I will change to Transynd well before our next big trip.
If by "normal fluid" you mean Dexron III, you should know that that specific fluid isn't made anymore. GM stopped licensing that name after they came out with Dexron VI.

You "may" be able to find some products claiming to be "equal to" Dexron III, or another similar claim, but just know there is nobody certifying that these fluids actual are the same as the original.

DO NOT put any brand of fluid labeled as Dexron VI into your older Allison. Allison issued a bulletin several years ago stating that Dexron VI will damage the seals in their older trannys.

Unless you know your present fluid is contaminated or otherwise unfit for further service, I would just leave it alone and switch to a TES-295 approved fluid such as TranSynd when you get back home. You will need around 5 gallons to do a complete "double drain" procedure that will provide a near 100% concentration of the new fluid, and you should replace the filter (part # 29539579) when you do the second drain.
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:58 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The transmission came with Dexron iii in it. You can still buy it at Costco.

Don't use anything other than Dexron iii or Transynd or TES295 fluid.

You won't be able to find any TES 295 fluid nor Transynd in any autoparts stores. I just went to the Allison dealer here in Fresno today to buy a quart of Transynd to have on hand if I need to top it off.

I do all my fluid changes and I switched to Transynd last year. Got tired of doing the transmission every two years.

Buy a bucket at Walmart that has quart markings on the side and drain into it. Then put that exact amount of new fluid back in.

I usually could drain about 11 quarts out.

I built a filler tool of PVC pipe and a funnel to pour the quarts of fluid back in.

A complete change to Transynd requires two drainings and refills with Transynd.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:00 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
If by "normal fluid" you mean Dexron III, you should know that that specific fluid isn't made anymore. GM stopped licensing that name after they came out with Dexron VI.

You "may" be able to find some products claiming to be "equal to" Dexron III, or another similar claim, but just know there is nobody certifying that these fluids actual are the same as the original.

DO NOT put any brand of fluid labeled as Dexron VI into your older Allison. Allison issued a bulletin several years ago stating that Dexron VI will damage the seals in their older trannys.

Unless you know your present fluid is contaminated or otherwise unfit for further service, I would just leave it alone and switch to a TES-295 approved fluid such as TranSynd when you get back home. You will need around 5 gallons to do a complete "double drain" procedure that will provide a near 100% concentration of the new fluid, and you should replace the filter (part # 29539579) when you do the second drain.
Hey Ed,
Thanks for the good information. The reason why I want to do the fluid change is because I was poking around on here for another unrelated issue and came across a thread saying the Allison 1000 needs to be changed every 25,000 miles. The PO of my Monaco told me it was every 50,000 and I took his word for it, but I shouldn't have. Anyway, we are at 45,000 so obviously way over the recommended fluid change, and we are on a 4,000 mile trip with a TOAD. I don't want to wear the transmission anymore than it already has been, so that's why I was going to do the change soon. For what it's worth, the color of the fluid is still good and I don't pick up any burnt smell.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:02 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
The transmission came with Dexron iii in it. You can still buy it at Costco.

Don't use anything other than Dexron iii or Transynd or TES295 fluid.

You won't be able to find any TES 295 fluid nor Transynd in any autoparts stores. I just went to the Allison dealer here in Fresno today to buy a quart of Transynd to have on hand if I need to top it off.

I do all my fluid changes and I switched to Transynd last year. Got tired of doing the transmission every two years.

Buy a bucket at Walmart that has quart markings on the side and drain into it. Then put that exact amount of new fluid back in.

I usually could drain about 11 quarts out.

I built a filler tool of PVC pipe and a funnel to pour the quarts of fluid back in.

A complete change to Transynd requires two drainings and refills with Transynd.
Thanks Arch, good info as always. I am thinking I might just swing by an Allison dealer on this trip and pick up the Transynd. We are heading from Florida to Memphis on Saturday and will be in Tennessee for several days, so I plan on doing the fluid change then.
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Other discussions on here say get your Allison 1000 fluid tested - I did mine at a Cat dealer - to see if you do need to change it. It's a synthetic and some say good for 75K or more if it passes the test. Here's the link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html
ramblinboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:13 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The Transynd is about $50 a gallon. You'll need three gallons. They usually don't sell it by the quart. I had to take my own quart container in today to buy a quart. Cost me $12.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/

Go to that forum...it's for Allison transmissions.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblinboy View Post
Other discussions on here say get your Allison 1000 fluid tested - I did mine at a Cat dealer - to see if you do need to change it. It's a synthetic and some say good for 75K or more if it passes the test. Here's the link:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f125/form...eer-89293.html
I don't think it was synthetic in 2002 so I believe I'm out of luck there. What's done is done so I think I will just change it because it can't hurt and then I'll at least know I have some fresh fluid in there.

Tags
allison, fluid, transmission