Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2013, 11:40 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Instrument panel went blank for maybe 5 seconds.

On a recent trip to N. Cal, I started to pass another MH, and as I did, my instrument panel went blank (as in dark and gauges to zero) for maybe 5 seconds. It then came back on, and behaved normally. When we stopped in the next town, about 15 miles, (Willits) my granddaughter who was driving her car noticed that one of my DRL's was out. (passenger side) On my unit, that is also the low beam headlight. I pulled the bulb out of the socket to get the number off of it. I did not pull the connector. The bulb looked good, so I checked the light again, and it was still out. I did not find a bulb where we were parked, so went ahead and went on. A few miles down the road, granddaughter radioed that the light was back on. No more troubles on the trip.

It would seem as if these two events were related somewhat. Anyone have any thoughts?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 12:22 AM   #2

AT first glance, it may be a grounding issue. However, I would look for a loose wire harness connection (or a pin within), especially at the firewall or another coach bulkhead somewhere. You might also have someone observe the dash lights, gauges and headlight (with the ignition switch on) while you do some wire and connector "wiggle tests" under the dashboard....notably with the main harnesses at the headlamp switch and ignition switch. Wondering if you or a previous owner have installed any aftermarket items wired into one of the coach circuits that could be causing this....not an uncommon issue that occurs.

Perhaps an owner of a similiar coach can provide more help. But please let us know what you discover....bet it will be something small, which does not mean it wil be easy to find! Best of luck....

Old 07-07-2013, 08:00 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkmesser View Post
On a recent trip to N. Cal, I started to pass another MH, and as I did, my instrument panel went blank (as in dark and gauges to zero) for maybe 5 seconds. It then came back on, and behaved normally. When we stopped in the next town, about 15 miles, (Willits) my granddaughter who was driving her car noticed that one of my DRL's was out. (passenger side) On my unit, that is also the low beam headlight. I pulled the bulb out of the socket to get the number off of it. I did not pull the connector. The bulb looked good, so I checked the light again, and it was still out. I did not find a bulb where we were parked, so went ahead and went on. A few miles down the road, granddaughter radioed that the light was back on. No more troubles on the trip.

It would seem as if these two events were related somewhat. Anyone have any thoughts?
IMO, the two events are not related.
The Actia instrument cluster is well known for doing what you described, and a seach will find many threads and posts on the subject. It is not a repairable condition, and has been determined to be nothing more than an automatic "reset" caused by either too much, or conflicting, data being received simultaneously from sensors and other computers. Frankly, I'm surprised this was the first time it ever happened to you- most of us see it "often".
Old 07-07-2013, 08:12 AM   #4
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The age of your coach may indicate a new Actia display maybe in order in future, you have two options on replacement one to Actia or on to a new found repair location.
You can also check a ground post on chassis frame up front that has all ground wires for your jack system solenoids and grounds to fuse panels.
The plugs on back of Actia display for looseness, remove and reset on back of panel.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:47 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
IMO, the two events are not related.
The Actia instrument cluster is well known for doing what you described, and a seach will find many threads and posts on the subject. It is not a repairable condition, and has been determined to be nothing more than an automatic "reset" caused by either too much, or conflicting, data being received simultaneously from sensors and other computers. Frankly, I'm surprised this was the first time it ever happened to you- most of us see it "often".
According to a WH rep at the Winnebago Grand Nation Rally a few years ago the problem can be fixed with a re-flash of the instrument panel.
She offered to re-flash mine for free but we couldn't come up with a time that worked for both of us so I didn't have it done.
Since it happens so seldom (four or five times in ten years for mine) and I know it isn't a sign of impending doom I don't worry about it.
Old 07-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
According to a WH rep at the Winnebago Grand Nation Rally a few years ago the problem can be fixed with a re-flash of the instrument panel.
She offered to re-flash mine for free but we couldn't come up with a time that worked for both of us so I didn't have it done.
Since it happens so seldom (four or five times in ten years for mine) and I know it isn't a sign of impending doom I don't worry about it.
CLAY:
Sandy Owen was a competent & knowledgeable RSM, and I'm sure she knew of what she spoke. As an Ambassador, I didn't get the same level of training or experience....... and no "paycheck" either!

The only "re-flash" I know about was the one for the ABS light that "might" not come on when it should have. That was a recall for quite a few early model W-series chassis.
Ed
Old 07-07-2013, 10:12 AM   #7
YC1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If it was an information overload the DRL may have triggered it if it monitors that function some how.

However, sure sounds like a bad ground or just a bulb that healed itself.
Aluminator tow bar, Demco base plate
YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:10 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edgray View Post
CLAY:
Sandy Owen was a competent & knowledgeable RSM, and I'm sure she knew of what she spoke. As an Ambassador, I didn't get the same level of training or experience....... and no "paycheck" either!

The only "re-flash" I know about was the one for the ABS light that "might" not come on when it should have. That was a recall for quite a few early model W-series chassis.
Ed
Yeah I had that one done in late 2004 or early 2005. It coincided with the new display that has the orange display option available and also seems brighter.
My display failed after the recall and when the dealer sent it in they sent a new unit with the ABS issue fixed and with the new display options so I made out okay.

There were some posts about the display reset re-flash a few years back and as I recall a couple of guys had it done by a WH dealer.
Old 07-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
One of the WH regional managers and I discussed this several years ago. He called it "Christmas Tree" and said WH new it was a problem. He also said a fix would be coming out soon. I understand there was a re-flash fix, but I never had it done. Mine still shuts down from time to time. It's a PITA, but harmless.

Workhorse W22
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks all, I am going to take the easy way out, and quit worrying. I have a scangauge if the instrument cluster fails completely, and I have driving lights that I normally leave on in addition to the DRLs. Just won't have a low beam on that side if driving at night, which I don't do to often. (BTW, the scangauge continued to report while the instrument cluster blanked out).