Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2010, 04:39 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Interesting brake issue

When working in traffic, occasionally, my brakes seem to release for a fraction of a second and then chatter and perhaps pull a little one way. My first thought was anti-lock, but I haven't been hitting the brakes very hard at all. Seems to do it more when I am applying, releasing and re-applying. Any ideas? I am on my way out to check the fluid levels now.
Jow
JWatkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2010, 05:15 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
When working in traffic, occasionally, my brakes seem to release for a fraction of a second and then chatter and perhaps pull a little one way. My first thought was anti-lock, but I haven't been hitting the brakes very hard at all. Seems to do it more when I am applying, releasing and re-applying. Any ideas? I am on my way out to check the fluid levels now....
JWatkins, If you are asking about a rapidly applied brake pulse when going very slow or coming to a stop say from about 5MPH or so, the problem is with the ABS sensors at the wheel ends. They could either be dirty or out of adjustment. I had 4 new sensors installed and I did not have any further problems.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:47 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
Wow Jwatkins,
I am experiencing the exact same problem. I didn’t know how to explain it but you hit it right on the head. Mine started doing this right after having the rotors and pads replaced. I was going to take it back to the shop that did the work but being that we live in it, doing so is such a hassle. A while back DriVer suggested to me that it might be the ABS.

Does anyone know if removing the ABS 60amp fuse is the right way to temporary disable the ABS to test if this is causing the problem?
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 11:11 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I figured it might be the ABS. I think that those are readily replaceable by the DIY type?
Joe
Old 04-01-2010, 07:53 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWatkins View Post
I figured it might be the ABS. I think that those are readily replaceable by the DIY type?
Joe, Oemy has a DIY explanation of how to do sensors on his website. Check it out.

Perhaps Oemy can you point us in the right direction, if you can't find the article.

Essentially, the sensors are pulled out, cleaned (including the sensor socket), lubed and restored to the bottom of the holder. Check the connection between the sensor and the modular connector that goes to the coach.

If you have a bad sensor the condition will persist.
Old 04-04-2010, 05:25 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver. I was just perusing his site and it looks pretty easy. I will have a go at that and let you all know.
Joe
Old 04-07-2010, 03:38 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Rexhall Owners Group
My test was a success. I pulled the 60 amp ABS fuse and drove it 180 miles today. Every stop was normal and smooth. The funny thing is that after pulling the fuse, the ABS light never came on. I would expect it to. It doesn’t even come on when I just turn the key on like the rest of the lights. I don’t know if it comes on when the key is turned on with the fuse in. Anyway, I am convinced now that the problem is in the ABS system. My next step is to pull all sensors, ohm the out, and clean everything. Hopefully that will fix it.

DriVer, you were right on when you suspected the ABS. I didn’t believe you until Jwatkins described the same problem (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/intersting-brake-issue-65756.html), “my brakes seem to release for a fraction of a second and then chatter and perhaps pull a little one way”. I totally spaced on the fact that my left front brake seemed to release causing the motorhome to pulled to the right. I was just focusing on the pulling and chattering part. The only thing that could cause it to release is the ABS.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have seen this on my car.. (not my motor home)

Though you have done a fair job of describing ABS in operation the idea of ABS is it should NOT under any conditions pull to one or the other side

However a de-lamanated rotor, or a pock-marked rotor... That WILL do it

inspect your rotors

There are other things that might too so do not rush out and spend money till you have had a good look at 'em yourself.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Timers View Post
DriVer, you were right on when you suspected the ABS. I didn’t believe you until Jwatkins described the same problem (http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/intersting-brake-issue-65756.html), “my brakes seem to release for a fraction of a second and then chatter and perhaps pull a little one way.
FT, Although I have not done it all, I have dealt with several of these types of these issues. I don't like being right as much as being helpful.
Old 04-07-2010, 07:40 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am going to attempt the pull, clean, grease and seat that Oemy suggests. Hope that does it. Is the part the $70.00 item?
Joe
Old 04-08-2010, 06:30 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
ABS Sensor activating

GM had a problem similar to what you are describing. It was on thier light duty trucks. A different desgn. Symptoms were ABS activation with light brake application at speeds 5mph or less. root cause was corrosion build up under the sensor increasing the gap by a few thousanths of an inch. Reseating and cleaning your sensors might just cure your problem.

Happy Motoring

John
John350 is offline   Reply With Quote