Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2010, 06:41 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Question Is a front or rear sway bar most effective?

Next spring I plan to install a sway bar on our 2007 Gulf Stream 39 ft Sun Voyager on the W24 chassis. The chassis was built in late 2006 and only has 4500 miles on it.

The cost for both front and rear sway bars is too much at this time even if I install it myself. So the question is, do I get the most overall improvement installing a front, or a rear sway bar?

Any experience or advise is appreciated.

PS - already installed Koni FSD shocks, and a front trac bar both of which helped a lot. Just still have the rock and roll down the road.

Tks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-05-2010, 06:57 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't know if you problem of rock and roll is the same as mine was, mine wasn't really rocking and rolling but more like the coach didn't want to track down a level highway without small corrections to the steering wheel continually. I installed a rear trac bar and it was like driving a completely different coach, no more constant corrections.
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:14 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
A rear track bar will not eliminate a roll condition. It will significantly dampen a yaw motion. The biggest bang that I got on my rig was installing a rear track bar.

If you want to completely control roll you will need to buy a Helwig Anti Sway bar and a rear TigerTrak bar.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I added koni's, then front track, and front and rear sway bars.

Regarding side-to-side motion or roll, the konis cleaned up 80% of it. The sway bars took out the rest. I still had some front end (steering) issues though - having to make excessive corrections.

I then added a safe-t-plus, and after learning to live with the spring action, it drives like my Avalanche 2500. Goes right where I point it, and never leans over.

The only issue I have with the setup is the extra firmness. It handles bumps like it drives - like a truck (thud).

Looking back, I may have gone with a softer shock (billsteins) to compliment the sway bars. Or stuck with the konis and did a rear track bar instead of the sway bars.

Remember though each coach is different, a 34 ft. (208 in. wheelbase) W22 is a different animal that your 40 ft. monster.
Old 10-05-2010, 08:34 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Hear's my $.o2 worth. As for the extra firmness ride like a truck I think that's indicative of the Koni shock. They are more of a European feel where it's a stiffer ride, dampened different to allow for the WH stiff springs, where the operator has a better feel of the road as compared to the Billsteins which I equate to the softer American preference of a softer ride. I prefer the Koni for overall performance, also if your dosing off, the Koni will grab get your attention on slab separations, keep you alert. I have run both on my current rig and I believe the Billsteins are a great shock and am not sure if I had it to do over again that I would change to the Koni. Maybe? Probably so? Hell, I don't know. Nothing wrong with those Koni's.

For the wandering, I refer to this as "Bird Dogging," like my hunting dogs following a sent, this has been discussed many times here, and I am a firm believer that before one starts throwing $bucks at the rig have your alignment checked and if your Caster is set to the old/ current WH factory setting of apx. 3 degrees, have it changed to 5 to 5 1'4 degrees. This change is a WH approved change. If so, you will notice an improvement. I think you'll like it
Pat.
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 06:28 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP comment

While I would like to thank everyone for their input, my question must have been poorly stated.

I know about shocks (already installed) and track bars (already installed front) and steering dampeners (on my wish list).

My only question is the choice between a front "OR" a rear sway bar since we cannot shell out the 1600 - 1800 bucks to buy both even with me installing myself. These suckers are expensive.

I'll get a rear bar unless anyone has experience indicating the front is equal or better when only one is installed.

Tks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:33 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post
While I would like to thank everyone for their input, my question must have been poorly stated.

I know about shocks (already installed) and track bars (already installed front) and steering dampeners (on my wish list).

My only question is the choice between a front "OR" a rear sway bar since we cannot shell out the 1600 - 1800 bucks to buy both even with me installing myself. These suckers are expensive.

I'll get a rear bar unless anyone has experience indicating the front is equal or better when only one is installed.

Tks
I have a Sun Voyager Atrium on a W22 (heavy). I had handling problems and the first thing I got done was the caster alignment. That really helped the steering. Also got Monroe Magnum shocks (W/H provided). Not that great but better than old black stock ones. All of this helped with steering and bouncing. To fix the side sway from trucks passing by, I installed a rear track bar. That helped quite a bit. The only thing left now is the rocking motion side to side on turns and driveways and big dips in the road. I'm not sure if anything will fix that, but maybe a rear sway bar. I would go for the least expensive first as already suggested. Good Luck.
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After installing front and rear track bars, rear anti sway bar and Koni FSD shocks a few years ago, along with weighing all four corners and proper tire pressure, the steering on our W22 chassis was still a little loose. After taking it in to Redlands Truck and RV for a laser allignment, they found that the front wheel bearings were not torqued tight. After the alignment and bearing adjustment it drives like a sports car now. No more steering play while driving.

Ed
Old 10-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnandcaren View Post

Tks
In general; if there are no sway bars do the front first. The front should already have a sway bar (or torsion tube as they call it, it is a 2+inch square tube in the front). I would add the rear bar first.

Then if you still want more, add the front sway bar. I don't think they actually remove the torsion tube, but add an additional bar. Which now makes me wonder if the front bar might be the best to add first.

Call Brazel's RV and ask their advice. 1-877-786-1576
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 01:46 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Smile OP Thanks

Thank you everyone.
All comments were helpful and appreciated.

I learned about Hellwig brand sway bars, which are much less expensive than the others I found online, so that is a real savings.

Also learned the front has that torsion square tube sway bar. I saw that and wondered why it was in that position. That makes sense, and also indicates, as others mentioned to start with the rear sway bar.

Best of luck to you all.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
John, I would install a rear trac bar first as only having a front trac bar only does half of your tracking. The rear trac bar will correct the "tail wagging the dog" effect. The next would be a rear anti-sway bar then front anti-sway bar.

Ed
Old 10-06-2010, 02:20 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
John - Please post back with your thoughts after you've installed the rear sway bar. The best lesson is others' experience!

I've had the same question as you. We've already installed Koni's front and rear, and a Safe-T-Steer. Given the cost I am interested in installing only a front or a rear sway bar, but not both at once. Thanks in advance for sharing!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:30 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
Which now makes me wonder if the front bar might be the best to add first.
I did the first experiments here with a rear track bar and the results that I obtained were shared by all and all who duplicated my effort were rewarded with the same benefit.

Control the back first and remove that long moment arm and the front will "almost" take care of itself but not quite. Adding a rear track bar dramatically improves the directional control of the vehicle under adverse conditions.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
I did the first experiments here with a rear track bar and the results that I obtained were shared by all and all who duplicated my effort were rewarded with the same benefit.

Control the back first and remove that long moment arm and the front will "almost" take care of itself but not quite. Adding a rear track bar dramatically improves the directional control of the vehicle under adverse conditions.
Good comment, but not relavent to this thread about anti-sway bars; unless you think that a track bar will help with body roll. At least that's what I think...... track bar for wandering, anti-sway bar for body roll.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote