Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-22-2009, 02:21 PM   #15

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalehelman View Post
If I had it to do over again I would have let it burn. Then I'd buy a Ford.
Let it burn??? Buy a Ford??? over a parking brake repair that you seem to have resolved to your satisfaction for $350, you must have more problems then that.
George Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:58 PM   #16

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
After you click on the site. Click on stepvan parts all categories. Then click brake hwd. Then brake hwd GM Workhorse. Last emergency brake 19.5.
Thanks dalehelman , I bet this will be a handy site when I need parts.

I doubt if I'll change to the manual parking brake now. The only trouble I've had with mine was a slight seep from the actuator assembly. They changed it under warranty. I bet that was expensive and if I was paying for it I would have thought it was ridiculous to change the whole thing rather than just replace an O Ring or seal.

If I start having lots of problems with my J-71, I'll go with the manual parking brake before I sink hundreds of $ into the autopark.

So, how do you like yours? It works and hold the coach well? Did you install it your self? I'd like to see a pic of the handle installed and also the mount for the cable, by the drum.

Any idea what the differnce in the $36 handle and the $86 one? They look the same.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:03 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by max49 View Post
Any idea what the differnce in the $36 handle and the $86 one? They look the same.
Max, Yes as a matter fact, $50 bucks!
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 07:10 PM   #18

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
2005 Terra with the medium duty P32 chassis. With 17,000 GVWR
Hmm, I may have gotten the last J-71. I have an '05 Damon on the '04 WH 18,000 LB. P-32 chassis. I was disappointed to see that I had the J-71 at first but after looking at it , I'd rather have it than the J-72. Looks easier to manually take the linkage out to release it than the Hydraulic J-72 would be.

Still seems like a dang shame to have that maze of parts that can and will break just for a parking brake.
I'll never buy another vehicle with the electric hydraulic parking brake, no matter what they call it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:47 PM   #19

I am checking to see if your J72 step van emergency brake modification has been working as planned. I have a J72 on my 2006 Fleetwood W18 that has a internal leak at the brake assembly. This assembly is mounted on the end of the GM transmission and they want $2400 dollars just for the assembly. I am trying to find out if the step van manual assembly will fit my configuration. thanks
fleetwood43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 07:56 AM   #20

AutoPark problems

The whole situation with the J72 systems seems pretty iffy from what I can tell. We've never been able to provide much useful information on them. I'm getting quite a bit more correspondence on them now, and it appears that there is very little (if any) tech support coming from either Workhorse or Carlisle - - just my impression as the sample is pretty small.

These problems seem to be hugely compounded by little or no availability of parts. Again, I'm talking to only a limited number of J72 owners so this is just an impression too.

The very bottom line on the above issues, as well as the similar issues with J71, is that information is scarce and not readily available from the people who build and repair these things. This situation is made just about infinitely worse by the inability or unwillingness of service outlets to troubleshoot problems to the component level. IN MY OPINION, this is the real nightmare of AutoPark. If you can't fix it yourself, you are at the financial mercy of people who (mostly) are only willing to throw parts at the problems.

As to "going manual." Certainly a reasonable approach but not for everyone. Whether J71 or J72, many people are not at all comfortable with making "non-stock" alterations. For them, adding a lever or pedal is not a really viable solution. Fortunately, we've found simpler solutions for the vast majority of J71 issues.

As always, we are glad to help people with their J71 questions and problems. Wish we could help with the J72 but our plate is full.

We HAVE been successful in coming up with some new J71 workarounds. These include some substitutions for hard (or impossible) to get parts, and some mechanical cagers to (more easily) release locked up brakes.

As always, we encourage EVERY J71 owner to build and install the Genie Lamp accessory. Less than twenty bucks worth of parts from Radio Shack. With the Genie, a spare RGS and pump motor relay, and a few simple tools, you will be covered for a huge percentage of the AutoPark difficulties. This does assume that you are OK with the DIY approach.

For those who can't work on their own coaches - - Maybe you can win the lottery. Prices and odds are similar?

oldusedbear at the AutoPark Library
oldusedbear11@charter.net
Old 05-03-2012, 09:44 AM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetwood43 View Post
I am checking to see if your J72 step van emergency brake modification has been working as planned. I have a J72 on my 2006 Fleetwood W18 that has a internal leak at the brake assembly. This assembly is mounted on the end of the GM transmission and they want $2400 dollars just for the assembly. I am trying to find out if the step van manual assembly will fit my configuration. thanks

Contact me at dalehelman@yahoo.com or 509-220-4022 my conversion has worked perfectly maybe I can help.
dalehelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #22

Quote:
Contact me at dalehelman@yahoo.com or 509-220-4022 my conversion has worked perfectly maybe I can help.
Thank You, I sent you a e-mail
fleetwood43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:53 PM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
You may also want to consider this .....

UltraStop P32 Air Operated Park Brake.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
Old 05-04-2012, 10:36 PM   #24

Just had my stock parking brake replaced at Brazels. I went with their replacement setup and scrapped out the factory parts. Setting in the drivers seat,everything works the same. I set the brake, tried to drive through the brake. Not enough power to over run the brake. I have a w24 with curb weight at close to 24000 lbs and tow 5000 lbs truck. Dont think I would feel good about walking away from it on a hill, thinking maybe I should have ajusted that cable.
Barski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 12:20 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barski View Post
Dont think I would feel good about walking away from it on a hill, thinking maybe I should have ajusted that cable.
Could you extend your remarks and concerns. I am going to go with the fact that the guys over at Brazel's would make not a parking brake that did not meet the standard for on-grade braking.

This is one thing that the J72 or J71 did well when they work.

Thanks for letting us know about the UltraStop.

For more information check out the attached PDF.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Press Release-Brazels-UltraStop-Feb-09.pdf (21.2 KB, 124 views)
Old 05-05-2012, 03:54 PM   #26

Not a concern now. It works the way it should.After doing much looking into stock repairs, fixing the j72 didnt seem to be a way to go. Hard to find parts, if at all. To many ? as to what goes wrong. All parts have short comings. The black box is the biggest, that seems to get the ball rolling. Pump comes is 2th as failures go. The brake unit seems not to be as big a problen on its own, but locks up.if one of the first fail. I have the old brake unit ,and will take it apart is winter in Az. I still carry the tire blocks, cant seem to part with them after a year. The DW is sure one happy camper having lost her tire blocking job. Alan at Brazels said Im the first to put the Altra Brake on a W24. I couldnt be happier with there work and professionalism. I havent put many miles on the coach since having the work done, but will give it a good work out in Alaska.
Barski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 04:02 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barski View Post
I haven't put many miles on the coach since having the work done, but will give it a good work out in Alaska.
That sounds swell! I hope that you'll have a great trip. I bet half the fun is just in the planning and anticipation.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:49 AM   #28

Sure is good to see these miseries get resolved!! The biggest challenge always seems to boil down to the price for doing it! Seems like when we can get into the equation earlier rather than later, we can keep just about any J71 repair down to a few hundred bucks AT THE MOST and usually for a lot less than that. The key (I am getting to be a nag about this) is to troubleshoot to the component level. This idea of having to replace entire pumps, actuators or whatever on a J71 is mostly the "throwing parts at a problem" approach to fixing things. Just my opinion, of course.

Somebody in an earlier post mentioned a dripping actuator. The seal for a J71 actuator can be had from NAPA for less than five bucks. New actuators probably cost at least six hundred from a dealer plus another three or four hundred to install. OK if you have the bread I guess, but many of us don't have it to spend that way.

Total replacement with air or manual systems IS an option - - but certainly not the only option.

BTW - - I'm still looking for a salvageable J71 actuator for my bench test setup. If anyone knows of one, I'd sure be willing to make an offer and pick up the freight too.

oldusedbear11@charter.net

oub