Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #29

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not to change the direction of this thread... But, I've often wondered if a mildly leaking actuator could be stopped with a stop leak product.

Any thoughts on this possible solution?

Example: Bar's Leaks Transmission Stop Leak is designed to stop leaks due to the drying, hardening or shrinking of transmission seals and gaskets. Will not harm transmissions and is compatible with virtually all types of transmission fluid.

oldusedbear, ("The seal for a J71 actuator can be had from NAPA")

What's the NAPA part number?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #30

stop leak and part number

I would be VERY leery about putting stop leak into an AutoPark system. From years ago, I remember hearing that these products have stuff like asbestos fibre in them. Dunno if that is still true, but both the solenoid as well as the poppet valve components rely on the ATF being clean and pure.

The seal number is from NAPA

NAPA's part number was 14507

oldusedbear
Old 05-08-2012, 03:43 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusedbear View Post
I would be VERY leery about putting stop leak into an AutoPark system.
OUB, I agree!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #32

Gulf Streamers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldusedbear View Post

The seal number is from NAPA

NAPA's part number was 14507

oldusedbear
Here's NAPA's online description:

Part Number: UP 14507
Product Line: NAPA ULTRA PREMIUM BRAKE PARTS
Cup Type : Ring Type Cup
Cylinder Diameter : 1 1/2"

Does the J71 actuator use all 10 seals?

When people warn about taking the actuator apart, what is it that one needs to avoid or do in order to avoid an accident?

Agree to not using stop leak. Maybe OK to use high quality ATF (i.e. Royal Purple) and change often. The last change showed a lot of extra impurities.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRV4FUN View Post
When people warn about taking the actuator apart, what is it that one needs to avoid or do in order to avoid an accident?
It's got a very high compression spring in there. A spring that can lose you a hand, eye, or maybe breath in general. The park brake is spring applied, fluid pressure released.

Have you ever dealt with an air brake maxi-chamber? Same basic principle except they are air pressure released instead of fluid pressure.
rgreen45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:54 PM   #34

J71 seal

Glad to share info on this subject but it IS one that can carry some risks. Also, involves more pages of pictures etc. than we would want to post on the forum.

Contact us at oldusedbear11@charter.net and we can go into the subect in much greater detail.

Roger - - aka oub
Old 05-10-2012, 08:42 AM   #35

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
When my actuator was under warranty it had a slight seep, not even a drip, just barely damp. They ordered a whole new actuator, which is good under warranty but it let me know how expensive it's gonna be when I have to pay for it. They are not in the repair business to try to save the customer or the OEM any money, obviously.
Other than that, my AAPB has worked fine but I can't have too much confidence in it.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2023, 02:53 PM   #36

Location: Winter in QZ, mostly on the move the rest of the year
I realize this is a very old thread. I have a chance to buy a very nice low mileage 2007 motorhome on a W 18 chassis. I would like to know if there is anyone still active who was able to adapt the step van emergency brake handle to the W 18 and the parts required? Thank you in advance
Mrracechaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:00 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrracechaser View Post
I realize this is a very old thread. I have a chance to buy a very nice low mileage 2007 motorhome on a W 18 chassis. I would like to know if there is anyone still active who was able to adapt the step van emergency brake handle to the W 18 and the parts required? Thank you in advance
Just to clarify what you are hoping to learn. The W-18 came with the J72 AAPB, and you are wanting info about how to convert the AAPB system to a hand-operated PB. Is that correct???
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2023, 09:18 AM   #38

Quote:
Many years ago there was a thread authored by "Jerry Peck" explaining how he accomplished what I think you are asking about. His original thread ran for LOTS of pages filled with back and forth posts.

Here is a link to it: https://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/okay...em-195374.html

I'm hoping the link below will be a short cut to what you need:

https://www.irv2.com/forums/download...do=file&id=275
Old 07-23-2023, 12:09 PM   #39

Thank you for the reply. I was hoping there might be some new information. His "fix" seems to be complicated and with the legal liability of modifying a safety part I think I will just forget about this motorhome. Thanks again.
Old 07-23-2023, 01:15 PM   #40

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I was hoping there might be some new information. His "fix" seems to be complicated and with the legal liability of modifying a safety part I think I will just forget about this motorhome. Thanks again.
Understand your decision, but hope you know the J72 version of the AAPB is much improved when compared to the original version known as J71 AAPB. I think ultra RV has a "kit" to improves on the J72 version, and perhaps a complete replacement as well.

As you may know, the W-16 and W-18 chassis have the GM 4L85-E tranny and not an Allison.

FOR WHAT ITS WORTH, NONE of the W-22 series chassis have an AAPB, however the early model years for the W-24 do have the J72.
Old 07-24-2023, 07:53 AM   #41

For $700 you can buy a module that prevents the emergency brake from locking up. Going forward I will be by myself and if another component fails I doubt anyone knows how to work on them. I am also not sure how many components are available and the cost. I have been in a motorhome for over 20 years now. I am not sure how much longer I will be able to travel so I am downsizing from a 35ft 2002 Southwind on a Workhorse chassis. Thank you for the information. Vince