Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2012, 01:25 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Jacking points on w-22

Can anyone tell me the correct jacking points on the w-22 chassis? Can I use the leveling jacks to raise the unit to change the tires? Thanks ahead for all replys.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had mine changed this past week. The tire shop had me take most of the weight on the leveling jacks, they then raised each side of each axle with their floor jack, after the lugnuts were broke free.

Old 03-10-2012, 02:49 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm not sure I like that Idea. Seems their could be the possibility to damage the leveling jacks. I noticed that they asked you to use the jacks. Relieving them of any liability for damaging them. But thanks for the info.
Old 03-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
maybe any answer you receive here would put the responder under liability. are you a lawyer???????
Belgian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Though it is not recommended (And for good reason) I have used the leveling jacks.

ON the rear wheels, if I am using a bottle jack for tire changing I will put my 12 ton air/hydraulic jack-jack under the bracket where the spring connects to the axle, I consider this the best place for nearly all leaf spring vehicles.

On the front, it is a bit harder to find a proper lift point. and without getting down and dirty I can not advise.

IF you use the leveling jacks.. Make sure you use chalks both in front and in back of at least two of the remaining tires.. if possible lift them slightly so the chalks go under well. (Do this with brakes on have your partner be inside) You do not want the rig to move while it's on it's own legs, they are not designed for lateral force.
Old 03-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
No I'm not a lawyer. But I did think it was just reasonable to question that this tire shop didn't have the correct tools to do the job.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:48 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal View Post
Can anyone tell me the correct jacking points on the w-22 chassis? Can I use the leveling jacks to raise the unit to change the tires? Thanks ahead for all replys.
The correct jacking points on the W22 Chasssis would be under the axles where the springs are bolted on.

I have (and probably will again) used the leveling jacks to change the tires but I made sure I was on a level surface and only raised one axle at a time. I also used the appropriate jack stands in case the levelers failed.

Jon
2013 Chevy Spark Dinghy
jfran304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have HWH jacks on my W-22 and have used them on several occasions to raise the wheels off the ground. In addition to chocking the wheels, I would place jack stands under the coach as well. The tire shop I use also has me raise the appropriate tire or tires by using the onboard jacks. They, ask me to operate the jacks not for fear of liability, but because I am more familiar with the operation of them.
As stated above, for manual jacking, use the point where the leaf springs attach to the axle.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks alot for all the posts. I was just curious as to if it was ok to use the leveling jacks to assist in the raising of the unit high enough to change the tires. I'm having the tires changed on my unit soon and didn't know if it was a common practice to use the leveling jacks. And thanks for the location for jacking on the unit also.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 PM   #10
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealDeal View Post
Can anyone tell me the correct jacking points on the w-22 chassis? Can I use the leveling jacks to raise the unit to change the tires? Thanks ahead for all replies.
TRD, Yes I use my HWH jacks all the time to accomplish routine maintenance and tire changing. Just make sure you stay clear from the pinch zones when under the vehicle at all times and be safe and use jack stands.

Just make sure that you never jack the vehicle up from under the center of the pumpkin.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:13 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks Driver. Now that I've seen you're post I feel more confident in using the levelers. Your advise on here is well appreciated. thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
OP asked if it was ok to use leveling jacks in tire change, I replied that I had done just that. OP then said he didn't like the idea, if so, why ask to begin with?

The shop where I had mine done had adequite jacks, but probably not oversize by too much. My thought on it was it is better to take the load with two sets of jacks, vs just one. I did the leveling jacks myself for two reasons. One was they were not familiar with the HWH controls at all. Two, I took between 1/2 and 2/3's of th weight with the leveling jacks only, (estimated). I then left, with the keys and with the rig locked up. (it was going to need to stay overnight). Now, the tires needed to be on the ground in front for them to break loose the lug nuts. Preferably so on back, so the differential or brake was not taking as much shock from the impact wrench.
Doing it this way, it was easier for the shop to do the job, the rig was safer because when a given wheel or wheel set was removed, there was two jacks at that corner holding the rig up.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
In my earlier post I said the proper position for the jacks in the rear was under the spring mounting bracket. But I was not sure of the front.

Today.. purly by chance, I had to jack up the front to re-position the leveling steps.

Turns out that's the jack point for the front too. Under the spring bracket.

Just like the other poster said.

Oh, re-positioned steps (more on that in a bit) and got rig leveld.

The steps

I took a pair of 12 foot 2x8's and cut them as follows, NOTE: this cutting pattern is used on each of the 12 foot 2x8's

2 pieces each 3' long, 2' long and 1' long

Then I took some 2 1/2 inch screws and stacked them as follows

------
=======________

I did two this way (one 2x8's worth

The other two I did like this

======______ _____

Now on this one I haven't yet but I'll drill quarter inch holes in the short (1') pieces and insert stove bolts in them I will drill matching holes in the top step of the 2-step pieces

That way I have a way to put 1, 2 or 3 layers under a tire based on positioning and how far up I drive.

NOTE six feet of 2x8 is a hefty hunk of wood.
Old 03-11-2012, 04:53 PM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
wa8xym
A number of years back, I had a set like what you described. That mh did not have leveling jacks, so this was my only way of leveling it. Like you said, they are heavy. But one suggestion: use wood glue and glue them together. After a lot of use and drying, you may need to reglue. The reason for glue, rather than wood screws or bolts, think what will happen if the wood splits, and a bolt is under a tire. I did have one or two of them split out, but as they were glued together, no damage. (I beveled the leading end of each piece with a skill saw, so they were easier to drive up onto). Now if you glue them, each one will be the full 3 thickness, but you only need to position and drive up onto each one as far as you need to get lift you want. If you don't go the full height, with the tire resting against the next level, you have a chock without additional effort.