Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #1

When my motorhome was fairly new I installed a K & N filter. It continually gets around 6.2 mpg. The dash readout shows a higher mileage when traveling on flat roads, but my calculations continue to average around 6.2. I have 27,000 miles on the mh and am interested to know if the K&N filter could be part of the problem. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.
Firefolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-04-2008, 05:13 AM   #2

When my motorhome was fairly new I installed a K & N filter. It continually gets around 6.2 mpg. The dash readout shows a higher mileage when traveling on flat roads, but my calculations continue to average around 6.2. I have 27,000 miles on the mh and am interested to know if the K&N filter could be part of the problem. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you.
Firefolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:41 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Your talking about an air filter...

I doubt very much that an S&B (8 layer), K&N (4 layer) or any other after market like style filter can SHOW you data where it increased mileage.

Get you oil analyzed and see what "silicon" level is. This the level of dirt that gets through the air filter.

I installed a cold air kit with an 8 layer S&B filter and didn't see any increase or decrease in mileage. I also had my oil analyzed by Blackstone Labs and the silicon level was 12 and the average is 13.
Old 03-04-2008, 07:35 PM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Firefolk:
When my motorhome was fairly new I installed a K & N filter. It continually gets around 6.2 mpg. The dash readout shows a higher mileage when traveling on flat roads, but my calculations continue to average around 6.2. I have 27,000 miles on the mh and am interested to know if the K&N filter could be part of the problem. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Have you serviced the filter as recommended?
abarkl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:43 PM   #5

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Firefolk:
When my motorhome was fairly new I installed a K & N filter. It continually gets around 6.2 mpg. The dash readout shows a higher mileage when traveling on flat roads, but my calculations continue to average around 6.2. I have 27,000 miles on the mh and am interested to know if the K&N filter could be part of the problem. If you have any information I would appreciate hearing from you. Thank you. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

It could be part of the problem if you over oil it however so could agressive use of the right foot, low tire pressure etc. What size, make and model coach do you have?
Old 03-06-2008, 01:28 PM   #6

Watch the dirt collect on your Mass Air Flow sensor if you so choose to install a K&N air filter.

You should do yourself a favor and throw it in the trash and go back to the OEM filter. Lots of posts about more dirt getting through the K&N filters.....
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Location: Atlanta, GA. , South Beach, FL. Naples, Fl , Coral Gables,FL.
george henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 02:57 AM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ran a K&N Universal filter out the front buy relocating the intake out forward to the right of the ECM and not using the air box or horn. It increased milage 1 mpg but I could not stand the noise it made so I am back to K&N in the stock air box. My orignal filter fell apart the first big rain I ran in.
Old 03-07-2008, 08:11 AM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
On a modern engine, with electronic fuel injection, what air filter you use won't affect your gas mileage enough to notice. A freer breathing filter will slightly reduce your "pumping looses", but will also shorten engine life because of more dust getting past the filter and ending up in the oil.

IMHO

Mark
Mark&Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:07 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
See FAQs #23, 24. & 27. Credible testing and results..

http://www.knfilters.com/faq.htm#24
Old 03-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #11

Pick up a NAPA Gold or a Wix. They are as good as what your are using.
parmm is offline   Reply With Quote