Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #1

My key is stuck in the ignition. It will start the engine and turn off,but it will not go to ACC nor can I remove the key.

Any ideas? Can the ignition assembly be purchased locally or does it have to come from WH? Thanks for your help
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2009, 11:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I sometimes have to play with the gear shift lever to get my key out or try moving the steering wheel some.
Good luck!
BellaBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 11:35 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Here’s a little trick that might get your key out. In most key sockets, there are little pins in holes in the barrel, controlled by springs that some time get gummed up and won’t re-track to let the key be removed from the sockets. Back in the 70s and 80s when I worked for a Cash Register Co. working on old mechanical machines, we had a little thin steel tool that we could slide down along side a stuck key, jiggle those pins back up out of the way to allow the stuck key be removed. I know you don’t have that tool but if you have a very thin steel feeler gauge, you might be able to accomplish the same thing. I’d put a few squirts of lubricant like WD 40 in along side the key first to loosen those pins. If this don’t work, I have no other ideas other then get the whole assembly out, tear it down and go from there.

Good luck

Marty
Marty too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 01:43 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have two ideas.. The problem by the way is the steering wheel anti-theft interlock and/or the transmission interlock

First try running the gear shift selector through the gears a couple of times. Engine off is ok, just return it to park

Then try to turn the key further anti-clockwise (More off toward ACC)

Next try adjusting the ANGLE of the steering wheel up and down a couple of times. All the while try to turn the key GENTLY more to the left (Don't just hold it trytry try try try)

You should find that it turns all the way to lock and comes out easily

At least.... It always does for me
Old 01-17-2009, 01:55 PM   #5

Also, if you have a good lock & key shop it might be worth it to have someone come out and see what they could do. Might be easier and cheaper than pulling out the whole lock assembly.

Wagonmaster2
Old 01-17-2009, 03:24 PM   #6
JCM

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
Can you turn your steeering wheel? If not jack up the front of your coach to release the lock.
You may also put the shift lever into park and pull the shift lever towards you - that may release it.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:34 PM   #7
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by ichn2go:
My key is stuck in the ignition. It will start the engine and turn off,but it will not go to ACC nor can I remove the key.

Any ideas?
I have had the same problem with mine for 3 years. A Workhorse tech told me to tip the steering wheel all the way up and move the shift lever as far toward park as I could. It worked for me . Now when ever I have that problem I use that procedure and it has always worked for me. Sometimes I have had to move the shift lever back and forth a couple of times.

Good luck;
Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Location: KM Parks in Western Washington and Yuma,Az for the Winter
Sometimes tapping gently on the end of the key will allow it to come out
Old 01-17-2009, 06:24 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Put the shift into park then push the stick forward toward the dash and then the key should come out.
-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 09:42 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
my key used to stick sometimes when i first got the moho. i had to take the key off of the keyring twice while the key was still in the ignition switch.
i did as GRAMPS suggested: move the shift lever all the way to park from another position and then immediately push the shift lever all the way towards the dash.
after a while, the shift lever movement smoothed out and i rarely have this problem now.
01 WINNEBAGO 35U W20.8.1L 5sp allison SW Wa,. Good Sam, SKP. RVM 198 AMSOIL fluids. BANKS ecm program. SCAN GAUGE II w/ Ally temp. 2 LIFELINE GPL-6CT AGM Batts on their sides. Michelins, TST tptts. K&N panel air filter. AERO mufflers. TAYLOR plug wires. ULTRA POWER track bar. KONI fsd shocks, toad '21MB GLA FWD on dolly
DAN L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2009, 01:10 AM   #11

HAVE A PROBLEM? WANT ANSWERS? POST HERE.

You guys are the best. I learned quite a bit about my ignition switch that I never paid any attention to before. It has what I call five positions ACC,Lock,Ready,Lights On and Crank. Mine was in the Ready position, wheel was not locked and the daggum key wouldn't come out.

Stated my problem here and the folks that said to move the shift lever back and forth and then go to Park and PUSH it away from you gets the gold medal..Key came right out after turning it to Lock and now the steering wheel is locked.

I am sure some of the other suggestions may have worked and I'll file them for future reference.
What caused my problem, I feel sure, is that after starting my engine I decided to move the shift through the gears to oil the tranny while I was doing my weekly start up and I also read here that it never hurts to push on the brake pedal too. So if I move the shift lever again, I'll be super careful. I try to take it out once a month for a exersize run too. Thanks again ya'll, couldn't get along without you help. Safe Miles
ichn2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:12 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I marked my ignition with white line for the ACC and the Lock positions. When I first got the coach I could not tell what position the key is in. Now I can look and see the white lines and know if it is in locked or ACC.

2002 Brave 34D
JnGOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2009, 06:25 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Jim,

Sorry that I missed your call but we were on a RV club meet. By the time I reviewed my calls you had already got your answer and fix you key problem.
Old 01-20-2009, 05:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally posted by Marty too:
Here’s a little trick that might get your key out. In most key sockets, there are little pins in holes in the barrel, controlled by springs that some time get gummed up and won’t re-track to let the key be removed from the sockets. Back in the 70s and 80s when I worked for a Cash Register Co. working on old mechanical machines, we had a little thin steel tool that we could slide down along side a stuck key, jiggle those pins back up out of the way to allow the stuck key be removed. I know you don’t have that tool but if you have a very thin steel feeler gauge, you might be able to accomplish the same thing. I’d put a few squirts of lubricant like WD 40 in along side the key first to loosen those pins. If this don’t work, I have no other ideas other then get the whole assembly out, tear it down and go from there.

Good luck

Marty
Is it okay to use WD-40 or should we use something like graphite? The Chassis Guide states 'Lockeze' but not sure what that is...
Richard 34A is offline   Reply With Quote