Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2018, 10:01 AM   #1

Koni Shocks

My W22 coach sits at 32K miles. Wondering if a change to Koni would be worth the cost in terms of handling performance. And if just changing the rears would be acceptable. Also seems I have more issues with roll than bounce, if you get my drift. Thanks.
Wbonsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2018, 05:53 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wbonsell View Post
My W22 coach sits at 32K miles. Wondering if a change to Koni would be worth the cost in terms of handling performance. And if just changing the rears would be acceptable. Also seems I have more issues with roll than bounce, if you get my drift. Thanks.
I had a new 2005 Pace Arrow with the W24, that came with the Bilstein's and I quickly changed to Koni's. Front & rear. I was one of the early pioneers of changing to Koni shocks and took a chance on them. With the W22 & w24 the Bilstein's were not the correct shock to handle the rebound characteristics of the chassis. I was immediately happy with them. Koni has made many changes since then and you'll be pleased with them. Maybe just replacing the front will give you what you want? Back in those days folks were giving their new replaced Bilisteins away free.Very few takers.
Pat
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 02:58 AM   #3

I just did my fronts with Koni’s and wow it made a world of difference.
Festivus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 03:04 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What seems to be the issue with the shocks you have now??? Only 32K? Our coach is an 04 with 42K and I still have the Bilsteins on it and it performs flawlessly. When I do replace them, I'll stick with what I have now. JMHO
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2018, 09:13 AM   #5

I installed Koni FSD’s on the Itasca when it had just 7000 miles on it. Significant ride improvement over the bilsteins. The Konis seem to have a little more rebound dampening so swaying was reduced some. The Konis have a much more compliant compression dampening so harshness was greatly reduced especially at bridge expansions, pavement breaks, railroad tracks, etc.

I still have the Bilsteins on our Adventurer. Its a noticeably harsher ride. I plan to slap a set of Konis on this fall when we get back into it for the winter.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 01:57 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I just installed Koni’s yesterday. Did it myself. Brazels sent me the wrong rears, so hoping I can get the correct ones before I leave for Yellowstone on Wednesday. The Bilsteins appeared to be in good shape at 46,000 miles. I just want the porpoising to stop. I will report back once I test drive. If doing it yourself- you will definitely need an impact gun! I can still bench close to 300#s and couldn’t get them with a breaker bar.
Old 06-03-2018, 07:42 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Triple E Owners Club
I put them on and used them for the trip south last winter. pleased with the result.
Old 06-03-2018, 09:12 PM   #8

I replaced the originals at 30K miles with Konis and Sumo springs, very satisfied with the ride and handling...Sumo springs are very easy to change while you are already there changing shocks.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:17 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
What seems to be the issue with the shocks you have now??? Only 32K? Our coach is an 04 with 42K and I still have the Bilsteins on it and it performs flawlessly. When I do replace them, I'll stick with what I have now. JMHO
The Bilsteins are fine and the ride is ok...until you hit a dip or something similar. I'm hoping the Koni's might dampen the bounce a bit better. Hadn't thought about just doing the fronts but may change the fronts and install a track bar in the rear. Just made a 1100 mile trip from SOCAL to the PNW up I-5 and all in all it as fine but I did have Brazels last year say the bounce was bad and Koni's would fix it. Makes sense I guess.
Old 06-04-2018, 07:51 PM   #10

I changed out the stock ones on my 2008 Itasaca UFO, they have made a massive difference.
Old 06-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Festivus View Post
I just did my fronts with Koni’s and wow it made a world of difference.
Old 06-11-2018, 01:28 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had the Konis on our W20 since 2010. The control is much better than the standard shocks or the upgraded Monroes installed by the dealer. I can drive with one hand lightly on the wheel which was not the case with the old shocks.

However, maybe this is obvious, but the ride is stiffer with the Konis. Not really an issue, but it is definitely noticeable.
Old 06-12-2018, 07:17 AM   #13

I just installed front and rear Koni's. Best decision I have made for my W22 National Dolphin 5342. I was having difficulty with control when towing a car. I installed sway bars front and rear which helped a lot but with the new shocks I can drive with one hand. Just made a trip and I could not tell the car behind me. I love my new shocks!
Bill WA6YBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 08:54 PM   #14

Maybe I'm making more of this than I should. I can easily drive our coach with one hand. It's really the dish rattling lean and roll that is probably the only real complaint. Not sure if newer shocks would do much.

Tags
koni, shocks