RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

I have to say a BIG thank you to KC Cummins at Redlands Truck Service and Jesse Kauppinen from Workhorse. I have been having handling issues with my coach since I bought it and through a friend, I contacted both KC and Jesse.
After telling KC of my issues, I made an appointment to have a front end alignment done and the rest of the chassis checked out. When talking to Jesse, he agreed that was what I should be doing first and he would be in contact with KC.
KC and Redlands Truck were great. The facility is nice and everyone there was friendly and very helpful. When I brought my coach in, I met with KC and they started working right away. I was kept in the loop on all they were doing and I also learned a lot about my coach. The coach was finished a few hours later.
He didn't have to but Jesse ended up driving from somewhere in SD county to personally check up on what was going on. That is what I call GREAT Customer Service. After the coach was done, we went for a test drive and I learned more about my chassis, how National built my coach and how it affected my handling.
Although not perfect due to how my coach was built on the chassis regarding weights and balances, not to mention it is a BIG box on wheels, the adjustments that were made by Redlands Truck made a BIG difference in how my coach handled and much better than I had expected. Short of physically adding weights to the front of the coach, things are great now and it is much more enjoyable to drive my beast.

So if anyone is in the area of Redlands Truck service and need help, give them a call. And if it is Workhorse issues, it was obvious to me that Redlands Truck and Workhorse work closely together. Thank you again KC and Jesse for all the help.

RV 4 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2008, 07:13 PM   #2

I have to say a BIG thank you to KC Cummins at Redlands Truck Service and Jesse Kauppinen from Workhorse. I have been having handling issues with my coach since I bought it and through a friend, I contacted both KC and Jesse.
After telling KC of my issues, I made an appointment to have a front end alignment done and the rest of the chassis checked out. When talking to Jesse, he agreed that was what I should be doing first and he would be in contact with KC.
KC and Redlands Truck were great. The facility is nice and everyone there was friendly and very helpful. When I brought my coach in, I met with KC and they started working right away. I was kept in the loop on all they were doing and I also learned a lot about my coach. The coach was finished a few hours later.
He didn't have to but Jesse ended up driving from somewhere in SD county to personally check up on what was going on. That is what I call GREAT Customer Service. After the coach was done, we went for a test drive and I learned more about my chassis, how National built my coach and how it affected my handling.
Although not perfect due to how my coach was built on the chassis regarding weights and balances, not to mention it is a BIG box on wheels, the adjustments that were made by Redlands Truck made a BIG difference in how my coach handled and much better than I had expected. Short of physically adding weights to the front of the coach, things are great now and it is much more enjoyable to drive my beast.

So if anyone is in the area of Redlands Truck service and need help, give them a call. And if it is Workhorse issues, it was obvious to me that Redlands Truck and Workhorse work closely together. Thank you again KC and Jesse for all the help.

Old 01-27-2008, 07:15 PM   #3

So what did they do...an alignment?
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 08:38 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The service from Redlands Truck and RV Service is outstanding.
I've had them work on my unit and they are very thorough in locating a short that was intermittent.
Thanks to all of the staff there.

2017 Forest River Heritage Glen Lite 34' Travel Trailer
BobD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 03:33 AM   #5
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Redlands Truck and RV Performance Center is an iRV2.com sponsor and we are pleased to have them aboard.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:06 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FrontRangeRVer:
So what did they do...an alignment? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

FrontRangeRVer, they did several things. They weighed my coach and adjusted the tire pressures per the Michelin chart to 85psi front and 90psi rear. I was running the opposite (90psi front and 85-87psi rear) I doubt that made much difference. I had also had my coach weighed 2 other times and the results from all 3 weighings were different. Kind of wierd. I don't have the numbers in front of me but right to left was not bad. Within 50lbs rt to lt on the front and within 200lbs rt to lt on the rear. I had a full tank of fuel, empty blk and grey tanks and 1/4 fresh water like we would be traveling minus the wife, some food and extra clothes.
They did a full front end alignment. Set the toe and adjusted the camber. Both were off. The camber was ok on the left but the right was out of spec so they added a shim to bring it in. They also recentered my Safe T Plus.
Also, KC and Jesse both used a neat program from Jesse/WH that showed what my weights, balances and measurements were and what Workhorse feels are ideal for the chassis. In my case, my front axle is at 81% of the max rated weight(9000lbs) and WH likes it closer to 85-90% for the suspension to work properly. My rear axle was at 90% of rated weight. Because of that, the front to rear axle balance was off (too light on the front)and WH likes the front a percent or two heavier than the rear at the percentage of rated weight for the optimum handling and performance. Also, my rear overhang was longer than they like to see but that is a coach builders decision and nothing I can do about that. Ideally, I feel I should have a 242" wheelbase instead of the 228" one I currently have and that would make a difference on how the coach is balanced and ultimately how it would handle. In talking to KC and Jesse, I could bolt on 200-300+ lbs of weight to the front of the coach frame and it would make a improvement but neither felt my coach was off that much to make that kind of drastic change. It has been done before by affixing lead or steel weights to the front of the frame to help but that was done on coaches much worse than mine. Unfortunately I cannot move much forward to help that out but I will see what I can do. I already have most heavy stuff forward of the rear axle. Maybe in the future I may add something to the rear to stabilize the suspension but I need to dirve it more and see how it does towing before I spend any more $$. I wanted to eliminate all the things I could before doing any add-ons.
Overall I am quite pleased with how the coach handles now. It is a BIG improvement and I am pretty happy with the results. KC/Redlands and Jesse were great to work with.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
EXCELLENT!!

-Tom

Tom N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 12:56 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If mounting space is available forward of the radiator, additional coach batteries would be my choice for increased weight. What say you?
Old 01-28-2008, 02:21 PM   #9
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Redlands Truck Service has my vote of confidence as well. I met Kieth in March 07 when I attended the Workhorse Rally at Hemet. I had a need to use their services and I have nothing but praise for their service. Kieth helped me out with a Park lock up problem this winter and I was very appreciative of that. I only wish I was 2000 miles closer so they could do all my service work.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Adopted by a great couple, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 11:25 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by T&W:
If mounting space is available forward of the radiator, additional coach batteries would be my choice for increased weight. What say you? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Great idea but got that covered. My coach came with 1 chassis and 4 6V Trojans with a 2000W inverter. The 4 batteries and inverter are in the bin just behind the right front tire. The batteries are in a nice pullout tray. I kind of like the facotry install so I think I will leave that one.
I do have room in front of the frame to tha bodywork but that is a nice place to crawl between when I need to work up there. I will have to figure out something else if it becomes really bothersome.
Thanks for the idea though.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:50 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Petro:
Redlands Truck Service has my vote of confidence as well. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Keith and everyone was great.
Marty
Old 02-03-2008, 08:07 AM   #12
Official iRV2 Sponsor

Godd Job!!! Brother From Another Mother!!