Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
LCD Display on instrument Cluster

OK, I know I have seen this one before but I can't find it.

The LCD Display on my instrument cluster is gone out. I know that I have to send it back to mfgr., but I don't know to whom, nor do I have their address. I thought that the mileage info should be stored in the computer and the LCD was simply a reader, but according to my WH Service center that ain't so. Mfgr. has to reset the replacement using the ionformation stored in bad one.

Domestic Duc

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2010, 09:16 AM   #2

The odometer is supposed to accumulate mileage (this is either by law or by ASE standard, maybe both). So it takes info from the computer network constantly & calculates distance traveled, compares it for "reasonableness" against last known good calculation (since the computer sensors send garbage data from time to time), stores the last 8 or so consecutive mileage updates (again in case the odometer's software/hardwarehas a brain fart), and displays the figure it feels good about (I just made that last part up, it actually thinks its correct). You will see a small difference between the mileage in the odometer and the mileage similarly calculated in most ECU's memory. These are due to algorithm, rounding, etc. and generally insignificant.

Old 10-11-2010, 11:21 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can confirm It's [also,]stored inside the display's flash memory as well. Mileage is taken from the display unit for all replacements done that I know of.

I mailed my display unit in & received the new replacement in 12-14 days time frame. Simple process. Nothing to sweat about. Unfortunately, 2 years ago... Don't have the address now. Recall that I Tracked down the toll free phone number & asked for instructions. Plugged it in and remounted into the dash board. Done. Love the new orange color readout.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:03 PM   #4

Phn: 574-264-2373; Elkhart, IN
ACTIA US
Paul Windbigler; in charge of warranty; his direct line is 574-266-2672

Thudman

Koni FSD's, TracBar rear, SteerSafe, 50A SurgeGuard, Eternabond; 2012 Honda CRV EXL w/Nav & AWD
Thudman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 05:07 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Domestic Duc View Post
OK, I know I have seen this one before but I can't find it.

The LCD Display on my instrument cluster is gone out. I know that I have to send it back to mfgr., but I don't know to whom, nor do I have their address. I thought that the mileage info should be stored in the computer and the LCD was simply a reader, but according to my WH Service center that ain't so. Mfgr. has to reset the replacement using the ionformation stored in bad one.

Domestic Duc
On your model that might be true. On some like my UFO chassis the odometer dash display does not have a chip and instead that info is stored in the Chassis Control Module. Actia can tell you based on you VIN. Greg
Old 10-12-2010, 03:55 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I should have also said that it is a 2004 Allegro Bay (8.1 gas), chasis is Workhorse built in 2003.
Old 10-16-2010, 05:57 PM   #7

I am on my third one, and this one appears to be doing well. Knock on wood!

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I'm on my 2nd IP. The IP was replaced back in 2006 under warranty. The replacement has an orange background in the Command Center. Working well since.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:57 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do we send the old one in for exchange or does WH have new ones available? My local repair center has been waiting since the middle of Nov. for a new instrument cluster and no word on when a replacement my be available.
The LCD display ('05 Winni) has stripes in it and is hard to read. Sounds like the orange display my be easier to see. Hope that's what I get.
Gary N. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:18 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Gary,

I have had 3 Actia display units in my coach. The first two units were sent pre-programmed with the mileage info on them to my repair center who just exchanged the new for the faulty ones. On the last unit, the repair center sent in my old display for repair, because Actia forgot to program a shift indicator into it. So it is possible to be done either way. Check with your repair center about sending in your old one if a new one isn't available. The mileage and other information has to be programmed into the exchange unit by Actia, the manufacturerer.

Dieselclacker
Old 12-25-2010, 10:08 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am still in limbo. W/H service shops want north of $700 to replace the odo display, which I ain't doing. What does Actia want for a direct replacement? My neighbor can help me R&R mine. He's been there, done that.
I have heard of and talked to a few folks who got theirs replaced under warranty or good will. I don't seem to be so lucky. I probably can get along without the display. I got a Scan Gauge deal from Brazels, so I should be able to get all the info I need on it. I can add the mileage on S-G to what I last saw on the Actia display. I can feel what gear I am shifting into. Don't need no stinkin' $700 gauge.
Old 12-25-2010, 01:08 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine went out this year with the same problem. Couldn't read because of the vertical lines. Local RV sent it to ACTIA and they sent programmed replacement.

Like DriVer, the new display is a huge improvement on the old. My aftermarket warranty paid all but my $50 deductable. Believe it was about $700 to replace.

2003 Itasca Suncruiser 38G Workhorse W22 8.1L, 2005 Grand Cherokee Toad
Bob/Becky D - VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary N. View Post
Do we send the old one in for exchange or does WH have new ones available? My local repair center has been waiting since the middle of Nov. for a new instrument cluster and no word on when a replacement my be available. The LCD display ('05 Winni) has stripes in it and is hard to read. Sounds like the orange display my be easier to see. Hope that's what I get.
Gary N., You must send in the old IP to Actia through either Workhorse or directly to Actia. If you are out of warranty then DIY the replacement and go through Actia and do it on your schedule. I believe we're looking at about a $350.00 - $450.00 cost for the IP if it's rebuilt (maybe) but call them and check. No need to buy a NEW once. I think those are about ~$700.00 give or take a country mile.

Yes it will come with the Orange background.

Quote:
"See the "Contact Us Number." I used their Elkhart, IN number: 574 264-2373"
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:45 PM   #14

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Seems Workhorse and Actia are both very smart companies.
Make them with defective parts and make steady income replacing parts that the consumer can get no where else. Especially a federally mandated odometer.
An absolute Brilliant business strategy!
Too bad for us that the media is not interested in 'rich men toys'. They'd have a hayday if Ford, GM or Toyota made odometers that had an average life expectancy of a couple of years, regardless of miles.
It was only a couple of years ago that the forum was saying that , no one has had to pay for a replacement.

max49 is offline   Reply With Quote