Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #1

I tried to research this but did not find what I was looking for.
Saw discussion that smut was normal.
Question. My left exhaust is really black while my left is a little black. Milage is 7.2 and engine runs fine. My mechanic was with me at a car show and he is the one who pointed it out.

If smut is normal, why one side worse? Wondering if I need to change plugs and wires. Have about 12,500 miles. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2006, 08:22 AM   #2

I tried to research this but did not find what I was looking for.
Saw discussion that smut was normal.
Question. My left exhaust is really black while my left is a little black. Milage is 7.2 and engine runs fine. My mechanic was with me at a car show and he is the one who pointed it out.

If smut is normal, why one side worse? Wondering if I need to change plugs and wires. Have about 12,500 miles. Thanks

Old 09-18-2006, 08:23 AM   #3

Sorry, but I have the Workhorse with 8.1 gas engine.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:15 PM   #4

For what it is worth. Both my exhaust pipes are black with soot. This seams to be normal with this set up. Give it time. Both sides will look alike.
2010 Ford Flex
rvten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Both of my chrome tips are black soot also. Changed wires and sparks recently with a 45 gap on plugs from 60, maybe that will clean them up anyhow its a normal condition with the 8.1.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 07:30 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Workhorse explained to me that the length of the exhaust allows the gasses to cool and deposit carbon. This is normal. It will even drip black liquid when cold.
W22 Workhorse
Full-Timers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 10:15 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Mine leaves black deposits on the side of the coach from the exhaust back. Fortunatly it cleans off real easy.

Glenn
Old 09-19-2006, 12:17 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hello E Z Livin,

Not sure why one would appear darker than the other, but the 8.1 runs richer than one would expect. I posed the question why it does to the WCC tech at a FMCA rally and was told it is just the nature of the beast. I guess the days of ash gray exhust pipes indicating a well tuned engine are a thing of the past!

Geechee

2004 CR-V EX
Geechee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 12:31 PM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Full-Timers:
This is normal. It will even drip black liquid when cold. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 09:35 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
EZ livin,
The black sooty exhaust has been discussed in the "Ultrapower Evaluation" and "Workhorse Spark Plug Wire Problem" topics.
Below is a response in this forum from Mike @ Brazel's that designed the Ultrapower program and I believe he nailed the root cause of the sooty problem. Your concern about one side more sooty is unusual. Since you're still on warranty coverage, I would have your WH Service Center perform an inspection of the computer diagonstic codes, a burnt plug wire, or a fouled plug, or manifold leak, or ???
I have about 700 miles on my 8.1 since I had the Ultrapower program, Taylor wires, and CAI installed. I have noticed less soot but still black exhaust pipes. I figure it will take a while to burn out the accumulated soot from the first 17K miles of running too rich. It's too early to tell on my rig since both of the trips I've taken have been from home at sea level to 7500 ft elevation and a good deal of stop/go traffic here in SoCal.
Good luck,
Bill

Quote from Mike Bronzini at Brazel's Rv Performance on 11/3/05
"The Problem is the programming in the ECM is running too rich.Thus the manifolds are glowing & the result is burned plug wires.The fix is to have your coach custom programmed & install HP wires.The result is a huge increase in power & a couple of miles per gallon.The fuel ratio at a cruise should be 14.5 to 1,most coaches that we test are 11.7 to 1.What this does is causes you to use entirely too much fuel just cruising down the FLAT highway.When you pull a hill at 75% throttle or more your ratio should be 12.8 to 1,so it's even to rich under a load.We reprogram the ECM to eliminate this condition.We have been doing this for over a year with ZERO spark plug failures & huge power increases.

Taylor Chassis Dynamometer
Dyno proven Power
Ultrapower performance
Ultratrac supension"
http://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic23522_1.gif]
Duner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 09:15 AM   #11

Thanks for all the response. Duner, I think I might follow your advise with Workhorse but they are 70 miles away. Having it upgraded has been on my mind, but my pocketbook is shooting sparks right now as I am reworking a 66 Chevelle my Dad bought new. Whew! But will be nice.