Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-11-2013, 08:50 PM   #1

LONG: Brake Issues on 2002 Winnie, P30 Workhorse

My 2002 Winnie Brave was towed to an "authorized" Workhorse Service Center in Phila (Bentley Truck). I used authorized and workhorse loosely b/c I think they are taking me on a long ride and expensive ride. I need help/advice.

Here's the recent history (and I've been in touch w/Roger aka Oldusedbear who suggested I also reach out here):

On May 19, just as I was readying for a 10day camping trip, the AutoPark overtravel warning buzzer was going off. Autopark light is on, brake light is on (when it wasn't applied). I've had trouble with the RGS (pump motor switch in the past). Also, my brake pedal was sticking with no pressure on the pedal, but the brakes lights were on; they would go off if I manually pulled up on brake pedal. CoachNet towed it to Bentley Truck in Philadelphia, an authorized WH service center b/c they promised to look at it the next day. Since this happened locally, I was able to follow it there and provided documents from the Autopark Library and asked them to check the RGS first since I had this problem in the past. I also asked them for a complete brake inspection b/c I had a brake failure back in July (towed again at that time to dealer, Media, who could find nothing wrong 4-days later, probably overheated, they replaced brake fluid).

A week goes by and the service manager at the time, Paul, assured me that they checked the RGS and it was okay. But they found all 4 calipers seized and rear left brake pad disintegrated. They cleaned, lubed the calibers and got them freely moving and replaced the rear brake pads and told me it was fixed. I went down to pick it up, paid the bill, $900, only to find when I started it the overtravel warning buzzer still going off and brake light still on when brake was not applied. I talk to Chris, the mechanic that worked on it, who told me he road tested it and it was fine and tried to convince me to drive away (maybe I should have!). Turns out he never checked the RGS b/c he hadn't seen the information I left, he was only told there was a brake issue. He didn't think anything of the buzzing when he started it or that the brake light was a problem b/c it stopped when taken out of Park.

The GM gets involved b/c I have a melt down over the lack of communication between the Service Mgr and Mechanic. Promises they will take care of me! So two weeks later, and now they will check the AutoPark system. They order two new switches.

In the meantime, they hire a new Service Mgr. Who now needs to come up to speed on what is going on. One switch is replaced, the other didn't need replacing. That fixed one of the problems. But now they need to order the RGS (ummmm, didn't I point them to that weeks ago?). That came in yesterday, they replaced it. At Roger's advice, I also asked them to check and adjust if needed the AutoPark brake shoe and perform the J71 autopark test. They said they did. Now all they need to do is put it back together and road test it today (this morning). They call me this afternoon to tell me that when they backed it out of garage the brakes locked up. The pedal went to the floor and wouldn't release until they manually pulled it back up. Now they tell me that they think I need a new Hydroboost. But the kicker is they can't find the part, after market or through Workhorse. That it is on backorder and not due for production from Workhorse until the first week of July. I'm so frustrated and have lost complete trust in them. Are they just throwing parts at it and truly have no idea what the issues are? They are telling me they will call Workhorse every two days to try and get the part as soon as possible. Is there anything else I could or should be doing to help myself? I'm at a loss here :(

Many thanks for any help/advice/encouragement,
Marty
WtrDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-11-2013, 09:52 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I can't speak to your actuator issues, but if you have Bosch 73mm calipers as many Workhorse and Monaco air/hyd chassis do, you need to search this forum to learn about the issues.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4541896

I replaced my calipers with re-man units from Napa at $100 each. Solved all my problems.
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobs911 View Post
I can't speak to your actuator issues, but if you have Bosch 73mm calipers as many Workhorse and Monaco air/hyd chassis do, you need to search this forum to learn about the issues.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/search.php?searchid=4541896

I replaced my calipers with re-man units from Napa at $100 each. Solved all my problems.
Thanks Bob. When I called Workhorse last year (brake failure), they checked my VIN and said I don't have the Bosch calipers. They said I have a Bendix braking system?

Marty
WtrDawgs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, workhorse