Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #1
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I currently have short(maybe 2") straight metal extensions on the front rims, maybe 3" straight metal extensions on the two outer rear duals and braided extensions on the two inner rear duals. A search on this forum shows quite a number of references to Borg Tire Supply as a source. For those who have a similiar rig, did you go with longer metal valve stems or valve stem extensions? I've not really had any problem to speak of checking/adding air to the tires with the exception being the inner metal braided extensions. The air pressure is easy to check but don't seem to be as receptive when trying to add air as the others are.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2008, 11:28 AM   #2
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I currently have short(maybe 2") straight metal extensions on the front rims, maybe 3" straight metal extensions on the two outer rear duals and braided extensions on the two inner rear duals. A search on this forum shows quite a number of references to Borg Tire Supply as a source. For those who have a similiar rig, did you go with longer metal valve stems or valve stem extensions? I've not really had any problem to speak of checking/adding air to the tires with the exception being the inner metal braided extensions. The air pressure is easy to check but don't seem to be as receptive when trying to add air as the others are.

Old 11-23-2008, 12:31 PM   #3
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
All my valves have all been replaced and they are about 2 inches. I use a truck stick air gauge that I purchased from NAPA.

The fronts are no problem and the back have Crossfires installed, again no problem.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 02:48 PM   #4

American Coach Owners Club
Braided SS on both dualies with brackets under a lug bolt, nothing on the others. Unlike my last coach they are easier to work with and are not a problem.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 03:30 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
I have used the braided extensions on several motorhomes and had no problems until I started using a Pressure Pro system. What happens is the braided extensions, after awhile, will expand or stretch slightly and the Dill, inner part of the valve stem, no longer will push on the wheel valve stem Dill enough to open it enough to allow the pressure pro sender to read air pressure correctly. I had to remove the braided extensions with the Pressure Pro system. I was told by Pressure Pro that this happens to be a problem for some when using their system. I'm referring to the old original PP system before Doran introduced their own system last year.

Also, this might be the cause of the problem the OP is having when putting air in the tire. Possibly, the particular air chuck your using is not pushing quite enough on the braided valve stem Dill after normal stretching. ??
FMCA 212171
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
I ran with the stainless steel air less lines for sometime with no issues. I did try unsuccessfully to istall Pressure Pros this past summer. They just did not like the extensions and would not seal properly.
I did just finish installing the Dually Valve stems from Borg. One long 9" for the inner wheels and a shorter "U" shape for the outer wheels. Bill at Borg went out of his way to correct a problem that we initially encountered as he had sent the shorter style that would not accept the longer screened dill valves used with Equal. If you order them make sure you mention if you use equal or not.

Tiffin Allegro Bus, 425 Cummins Freightliner XCR, Camp Freightliner, Acadia Denali, tow-N-4 Down, Blue-OX tow bar, TST Monitors, Seelevel II Monitors, Samsung Res Fridge, Progressive 50A-EMS, No Kids-No Pets, Full Time.
bdaball is offline   Reply With Quote