Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2017, 06:01 PM   #1
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Longer wheel stud part number

For the front and rear axles.

I want to put on inner aluminum wheels as well as Aloca style center wheel caps on the front which require threads left exposed to secure them. I'm thinking stock studs for aluminum wheels will work, mine originally came with steel wheels.

I still have to recheck the rears to make sure if there is enough centering lugs on the hub to center the wheels, it's been a long time since I've looked at them and don't remember. It should be no problem to check that just pull the center hub cap.

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2017, 01:30 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnRR View Post
For the front and rear axles.

I want to put on inner aluminum wheels as well as Aloca style center wheel caps on the front which require threads left exposed to secure them. I'm thinking stock studs for aluminum wheels will work, mine originally came with steel wheels.

I still have to recheck the rears to make sure if there is enough centering lugs on the hub to center the wheels, it's been a long time since I've looked at them and don't remember. It should be no problem to check that just pull the center hub cap.
It sounds like you're wanting to install Alcoa style center wheel caps on the front. Are you sure you need longer studs to install these caps? Do you have simulators now or aluminum wheels? Sounds like you already have aluminum wheels and you want to swap out the inner steels on the rear for aluminum. Sorry for the confusion.

Here is what Alcoa offers for front hub caps for their 22.5 wheels. For the front, these do not require any additional thread length for the studs as they cinch directly to the lug nut. Now on the rear you may need extra stud length for dual alloys but like you mentioned an equally if not more important question is are the hub centering bosses long enough to keep 2 aluminum wheels properly centered on the hub.

Good luck with your question as I am eagerly searching for answers to swapping out the front and outer rear steel wheels with aluminum on my WH24 chassis coach.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Alcoa Hub Caps.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	157573  

AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 05:40 AM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That's what I have now just to clarify mine came with steel wheels and simulators I changed them out for Accuride aluminum wheels front and outer rear. The front studs now fit basically flush with the stud face.

Front studs
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	274.9 KB
ID:	157576  
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-08-2017, 05:49 AM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I had to go out and get a picture of the rear stud not a very good picture maybe later in the day when it gets light out
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	256.0 KB
ID:	157577  
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-08-2017, 06:14 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just curious John, why are you changing the rears to Alloy?
Old 04-08-2017, 08:15 AM   #6
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Over the decades I've found without fail that all of my tow trucks large and small with the stiffer rear suspension to ride better when changed to the lighter aluminum wheels especially when they were unloaded.

The unsprung weight on rougher road surfaces did not fight the suspension as much.

I have a Peterbilt rear air spring ride that would fit the bus with minimal effort but I'm afraid if it ever became time to sell it potential buyers could be scared off thinking it was a Frankenstein set up and have concerns about service. These air leaf rides are really bullet proof and really require minimal to no maintenance in over the road operations in many cases exceeding the million mile mark.

Another reason against doing that is it rides pretty good as it is.

I also do not like the thought of how the simulators look going down the road with the little out of round wobble most seem to have.
See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-08-2017, 10:50 AM   #7

Quote:
That's what I have now just to clarify mine came with steel wheels and simulators I changed them out for Accuride aluminum wheels front and outer rear. The front studs now fit basically flush with the stud face.

Front studs
Ok I think I get it now. You want longer studs in the front to get at least one full thread showing outside the lug nut. The center cap and lug nut covers you already have work fine with your current set up? They should work just fine with the longer studs too.

On the rear you want to add inside dual alloys and get rid of the inside steel wheels. From your picture, it does look like you will need more stud length to account for the increased disc thickness of the alloy. As mentioned the length of the bosses for the centering hub is also a very critical part of the equation.

So just out of curiosity, how much difference is 36lbs of unsprung weight going to really make? Stock steel wheels weigh about 73lbs. Accurides weigh about 55. 18+18=36. Your D130 rear axle with brakes, calipers, spring perches and pads, ubolts, fluid, 25% of the drive shaft, 25% of the leaf springs, tires and wheels, etc, etc, weigh at least 1200 lbs. So 1200/36x1/x = 3%. 36lbs is 3% of 1200lbs. Is a 3% reduction in unsprung weight really worth the hassle? Is it really noticeable on an RV that is resting in a parking spot for 99% of it's life?

I have several other questions about swapping out Alloy for Steel wheels but don't want to bog down your thread with my questions yet.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
To say what the weight difference will make is based on the butt meter of myself and several experience long time drivers over the past years driving the same trucks before and after the swaps were made.

Only downside I've ever found was the cash outlay for the swap and the continual time expended to keep them polished especially during the winter months when truck usage was the heaviest, road salt plentiful, and lack of time at its worse.

Now multiply that weight by in this case 12 back tires and the air leaf ride and I'll admit this one was hard to see a difference with

See My RV Upgrades
Old 04-10-2017, 04:08 PM   #9

Quote:
To say what the weight difference will make is based on the butt meter of myself and several experience long time drivers over the past years driving the same trucks before and after the swaps were made.

Only downside I've ever found was the cash outlay for the swap and the continual time expended to keep them polished especially during the winter months when truck usage was the heaviest, road salt plentiful, and lack of time at its worse.

Now multiply that weight by in this case 12 back tires and the air leaf ride and I'll admit this one was hard to see a difference with

Wow, what a beautiful wrecker John.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:21 PM   #10
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thank you it started its life in 1976 as pictured below all that was left after being reconfigured by us in the shop was just the cab and driveline components from just behind the cab just one of several that were done and at 40' 50000lbs unloaded briefly one of the largest in the US.

See My RV Upgrades