Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2017, 08:13 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
With numbers jumping around like that, I would suspect a bad sensor.
4x4van is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2017, 08:22 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4van View Post
With numbers jumping around like that, I would suspect a bad sensor.
Have to agree, bad sensor or connection in the wire to the sensor. Pull your doghouse cover and start the engine. Then wiggle the wires going to the sensor while you or someone watches the oil pressure on the display. If you can get it to steady out, it's likely a connection, but if it continues to jump around, most likely the sender. This is one of the ways we used to trouble shoot sensors on the trucks.
Good luck.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 10:34 PM   #17

All right, thanks for all the helpful advice

I found the location of the oil pressure sensor, and it is much easier to access than the youtube videos of Suburbans and Siverados showed. Thank you Workhorse!

I replaced the old sensor with one from my local O'Reilly's parts store. The price was $89.99. Same at AutoZone. Is available online from GM Parts direct for $85, so I just got the O'Reilly part (manufactured by BDW, item S4201). Changed the part out last night, my son already had a deep well 1 1/16" socket, so I didn't need to buy that.

Started the engine, it did not display "LOW OIL PRESSURE" warnings or alarms. I just let the engine idle for a few minutes and the pressure stay steady at 46 psi.

I'm very happy, you guys saved me time, money and anxiety. Thank you again for your help, expertise and replies to my problem
Old 03-21-2017, 08:17 AM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Awesome, glad you came back with a follow up!!
Old 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the update, good to know what fixed the problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 04:40 PM   #20

Jeff,

Any chance you could post a picture or describe where the sensor is? I have the W24 chassis as well. No problems yet but have replaced it once on an older Yukon XL that I had the 8.1 liter engine. Also, my pressure fluctuates as others have indicated. Thx
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn E View Post
Jeff,

Any chance you could post a picture or describe where the sensor is? I have the W24 chassis as well. No problems yet but have replaced it once on an older Yukon XL that I had the 8.1 liter engine. Also, my pressure fluctuates as others have indicated. Thx
See post #2 for location, it's sticking up out of the block behind the intake manifold. You can use Google and find the part you're looking for.

https://www.google.com/search?q=GM8....w=1273&bih=699

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:45 AM   #22

Yes Shawn, it's just as BFlinn says. I researched alot on youtube and the web, and it appears GM puts that component in the same place on all the 8.1's. My research also makes me believe that it is the same part on all those engines. I actually did take a couple photos, but for some reason my computer or Photobucket account won't recognize my Photos app, so I haven't been able to post any new photos for a few weeks. Thats what I get for updating software

If you changed it on a Yukon, where it was almost impossible to access, you can certainly do this on a W24. In the Yukon, you prolly had to remove 4 other parts and lay yourself across the fender just to gain limited access to the oil pressure sensor. In my coach, I just had to remove the doghouse cover. It was kind of a long reach down, at the back border of the doghouse opening, but easily done.
Old 03-25-2017, 09:19 AM   #23

Thanks for the response Jeff. Much appreciated.
Shawn E is offline   Reply With Quote