Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2018, 07:30 PM   #1

MAF keep it Clean

Its recommendation to clean the MAF annually and every time you get a check engine light (CEL). The Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor monitors the air entering the engine. Day after day, dust, dirt and oil stick to the hot wires (Sensor Wires) and bake it on. Over time, the wires become hidden, insulated from the airstream. This causes starting, idling, acceleration problems, poor gas mileage and fueling issues (Lean/Rich). Keep it Clean….
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MAF Cleaner.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	392.5 KB
ID:	207529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Remove MAF.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	365.4 KB
ID:	207530  

Click image for larger version

Name:	MAF Front.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	443.6 KB
ID:	207531   Click image for larger version

Name:	MAF Wire 2.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	283.8 KB
ID:	207532  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2018, 08:25 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
The MAF is after the air cleaner before the intake manifold. If 'dust and dirt' are getting on it your air filter isn't doing its job. Oil? it also has no business in an air filter, that's one of the reasons I don't like K&N aftermarket air filters.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2018, 11:30 PM   #3

A properly oiled K&N air filter will not fouled up a MAF sensor.
udid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:30 AM   #4

X2!
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:37 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool4x4 View Post
Its recommendation to clean the MAF annually and every time you get a check engine light (CEL).
Where is it recommended? By who?

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

I've never cleaned a MAF, never !

Never saw a maintance guide recommending it.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 11:03 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
I've never cleaned a MAF, never !

Never saw a maintance guide recommending it.
Only when error codes from the ECU or other signs of a dirty MAF.

* Hard starting
* stalls after starting
* hesitation or hiccups when under load
* Air/gas mixture too lean or too rich

Bob & Donna
Old 06-18-2018, 12:26 PM   #8

It’s only my recommendation after readying the relationship between a dirty MAF and 8.1 engine CEL codes. Just a recommendation….
Cleaning the MAF is not included on the manufacturer’s scheduled maintenance list of things to clean or replace like filters.
Old 06-18-2018, 12:38 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olskool4x4 View Post
It’s only my recommendation after readying the relationship between a dirty MAF and 8.1 engine CEL codes. Just a recommendation….
Cleaning the MAF is not included on the manufacturer’s scheduled maintenance list of things to clean or replace like filters.
But your original post said to do it annually, that's what we're questioning. Was this a suggestion by the maker of the MAF spray cleaner?

Bob & Donna
Old 06-18-2018, 01:15 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
But your original post said to do it annually, that's what we're questioning. Was this a suggestion by the maker of the MAF spray cleaner?
I would rather do it annually in my paved garage at my own leisure, then to not do it and get sputtering or a CEL during my vacation.

I agree with the OP to do it annually while your checking the air filter.

Even if it was the suggestion of the maker of the MAF cleaner to do it annually who cares, its not like the cleaner is $1000 a gallon.
Old 06-18-2018, 01:17 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For over a year I fought P0151 and P0152 Check Engine lights. Replaced O2 sensors, plugs/wires and the fuel filter. No help.

Got really bad crossing Nevada, couldn't go up a mountain without the CEL coming on. Had a scanner and it was always P0151 or P0152.

Took it to a shop in Salt Lake City and the first question they asked....Do you use K&N? Nope.

They cleaned the MAF and not only were the CEL gone but I had a ton of power back.

They said if you use K&N it's very important to NOT over spray the filter with oil as it will get sucked onto the MAF and cause problems.

I now clean my MAF every year and replace the air filter.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2018, 09:49 AM   #12

The MAF is a “hot wire anemometer.” In operation, a fixed current is passed through the wire. The current heats the wire and that causes the wire resistance to increase. When air passes over the wire, the temperature of the wire decreases. Since the resistance of the wire is driven by the the fixed current and the variable air flow across the wire, the mass of the air can be determined by monitoring the voltage across the wire. V=IR, where I is fixed.

If dirt covers the wire, it acts as insulation. Insulation reduces the amount of heat that the airflow can absorb from the wire. Insulation therefore reduces the resistance change and causes the Engine Control Module to make inaccurate measurements of the air flow.

Cleaning the MAF can be harmful ONLY if the wire is damaged, some other circuit element is damaged, or if it is not properly reassembled. A slight air leak caused by improper reassembly would cause the same problem as dirt on the wire. Cleaning will make a helpful difference if any dirt is removed from the wire, even if there were no codes set.
Mudsock is offline   Reply With Quote