RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-09-2019, 02:18 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If you ever hit 80 MPH again do us all a favor and set the cruise control. That way when you crash and burn the accident scene will be on national TV and we can all have a look.
Lynn
From someone who missed the point entirely. The only time anyone is hitting 80 is when doing a run on a hill. Yes, the tires are speed rated for 75 mph, but that is based on heat from sidewall flex. Unless the speed is continuous, the tires will be fine. I don't think anyone is trying to cruise at 80 in a W22 chassis.
As I found, once you get trac bars and shocks, the coach is reasonably stable and predictable at higher speeds. Before the mods, I really did not want to go over 65, and that his from someone who had his previous coach up to 100.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-09-2019, 02:39 PM   #30

Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
If you ever hit 80 MPH again do us all a favor and set the cruise control. That way when you crash and burn the accident scene will be on national TV and we can all have a look.
Lynn
Not sure how your rig handles, but ours feels rock solid at 75+ mph. I don't get up there very often, only on good long, straight roads. Downhill and a tail wind sure helps too!
Never tried to hold that speed for any amount of time, my Ranger is only supposed to be pulled at a max of 55! Best to not push it too much.
I normally cruise around 60-65 mph.
Happy Glamping.

2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2019, 08:05 PM   #31
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

The sweet spot for our Workhorse W24 (8.1L V8/Allison 2100 6speed) on long-flats is 67mph. That is where the RV gets the best overall economy. Not bad for a bread box. We have never hit the limiter, but on long, straight down hills runs we may have run near 85...cannot confirm or deny

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnut View Post
I agree with previous comments on driving that fast especially down grades. The brake systems are not the best on some of these gas coaches. I always gear down going down grades and keep the MH at 60-65 max while towing a car on the level. (sic).

To this specific issue...brakes;
Like the OP, we have the Workhorse W24 under our Outlaw Motorhome. The braking system on these RV chassis is rather amazing, with the biggest disc brakes on all 4 corners that I have ever seen on a road vehicle. The only thing even close that I have seen in-person is the discs on mid-sized commercial aviation.

Fully loaded and towing near the 30,000lb GCWR while running The Rockies, the Continental Divide, and the Sierra Nevada, we have never experienced any brake fade. Also, we carry an optical temp gauge to check for hot spots on the tires, hub, and brakes...never saw an issue.

Finally, these chassis often have a computerized grade brake that controls the Allison 6speed to maximize engine braking with the flip of a switch. Engine braking on the massive 8.1L V8 is a significant amount of braking power.

Don't know what the Ford F53 has, but I submit that the Workhorse gas chassis have VERY GOOD brake systems.

Safe travels
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 10:57 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
My apologies to everyone for my naivety. I realize now, that if I only would have turned a wrench myself and did proper maintenance on my fleet of commercial vehicles and not be the risk taker, that I would see clearly that going 80-100 mph in a hydraulic braked, gas motorhome is perfectly natural especially down a grade towing a car. GRUMPYMAN has it right, put 'er in neutral and let 'er rip you guys! To most people, these brakes do look massive. Maybe the host can move this thread to the Corvette forum.
Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 AM   #33

Quote:
My apologies to everyone for my naivety. I realize now, that if I only would have turned a wrench myself and did proper maintenance on my fleet of commercial vehicles and not be the risk taker, that I would see clearly that going 80-100 mph in a hydraulic braked, gas motorhome is perfectly natural especially down a grade towing a car. GRUMPYMAN has it right, put 'er in neutral and let 'er rip you guys! To most people, these brakes do look massive. Maybe the host can move this thread to the Corvette forum.
My guess is gunnut was never a hotrodder………..
Besides, you don't need brakes to go fast, just stop.

Getting back to the original question, why would the max speed change? Must be some sort of a glitch in the ECM?

Hoping Ultra RV can sort it out. At least get my PPM set right, then top speed of 80 mph will be just fine. Now 80=72!

Happy Glamping.
2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with GSXR 1100T or KLR650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Old 02-10-2019, 01:55 PM   #34

Quote:
You know the funny thing is, when I broke 100 mph in my old motorhome, I had a pickup truck go around me, and then cut right in front of me, and put on his brakes hard. I nailed the brakes and dropped from 100 to 80 in very short order. No brake fade. I actually had significant more stopping distance than I needed. Yes, that was a heavily modified vehicle.
Old 02-10-2019, 02:13 PM   #35

On rt 75 in fla.if you are going 80 you will get run over by either a car or truck.and you will be lucky if they don't flip you off and call you a AH. 80 Is about the average speed. And a lot going a lot faster.
Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2019, 04:20 PM   #36
Community Administrator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Oh, forgot to mention...the Workhorse W24 has 4 wheel ABS.
Works very well. We were forced to test it in L.A. traffic where other drivers believe they can "bully" bigger vehicles by cutting in at very unsafe distances.

Wondering where the 80-100 mph comment comes from? Doubt that anyone would suggest that. Like I said 67mph is the sweet spot on our W24. Just pointing out that unlike what many uninformed posters write, these RV's can have excellent brake systems...surely better than any Diesel vehicle where drum brakes are still common

For the OP...
The limiter on the 8.1L V8 in the Workhorse W24 is a line in the ECU's program. If there has been a change, it will be on the ECU. An OBDII code reader would be where I would start checking. Clear any codes and see what happens.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
OUTLAW MODS/FIXES
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #37

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
One never knows what lurks in another man's garage(LOL)! Brazel's should be able to reset things for you. Great service and very knowledgeable. You might even be able to mail your computer to them. Be safe out there guys!
Old 02-11-2019, 10:58 AM   #38

Winnebago Owners Club
One of the duties in my previous work life was investigating road accidents where there had been a fatality. Not a pleasant task for sure, especially when the cleanup crew had missed small toys.

According to the police reports most of the accidents involved speeds in excess of the speed limit.

Fortunately I never had to investigate an accident involving an RV. Could only imagine the amount of debris and sadness. Family happily going on a vacation not to get there.

Recently a friend had a front tire blow on his Class A at 62. Saved the coach from rolling and the final cost was close to 80,000 for repairs. After a year in the shop they got it back and within 5 months had traded it off. If he had been going 80 it is hard to say what the result would have been, certainly not good!
Old 02-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
According to the police reports most of the accidents involved speeds in excess of the speed limit.
I'm not sure the purpose of this statement other than to intentionally mislead. Most cars travel over the speed limit. If nearly all cars speed, then all accidents will involve cars exceeding the speed limit.

It also should be noted that insurance companies for a long time have sponsored the purchase of speed detection equipment for the local police forces. Why, because they can then raise the rates without incurring real liability.

About twenty years ago, it was well established that most traffic accidents are caused by driver inattentiveness. There was some backlash to that. As a result reporting has now changed. Did will all change our driving habits? Hardly. But if there is an accident, speed will always be noted as a factor, regardless if it had anything to do with the actual real cause.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:13 PM   #40

Possibly the point of mentioning the excess speed in the police reports was to highlight the fact that drivers doing the speed limit, or below, have the necessary time to react and do not become statistics.

The speed limit is not just an arbitrary number picked by throwing darts, and it seems the vast majority of people do not seem to understand that is the MAXIMUM speed and all speeds down to the minimum speed are legal.
GypsyCoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 07:37 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveinet View Post
I'm not sure the purpose of this statement other than to intentionally mislead. Most cars travel over the speed limit. If nearly all cars speed, then all accidents will involve cars exceeding the speed limit.

It also should be noted that insurance companies for a long time have sponsored the purchase of speed detection equipment for the local police forces. Why, because they can then raise the rates without incurring real liability.

About twenty years ago, it was well established that most traffic accidents are caused by driver inattentiveness. There was some backlash to that. As a result reporting has now changed. Did will all change our driving habits? Hardly. But if there is an accident, speed will always be noted as a factor, regardless if it had anything to do with the actual real cause.
It was made as a statement of personal observation made in the field at the locations I was responsible for. Driver inattentiveness, speeding and whatever other factors you wish to introduce all contribute to the end result. Many times they compound to form a situation that is difficult or impossible to recover from. I attended only the sites that ended in catastrophic losses.

Speed is one of the contributing factors that can be easily managed as it is a personal choice..

Speed limits are set for a number of reasons. One of the real reasons I am aware of is the design speed determines the design of the highway. It sets the slopes at the side of the road, the width of the ditch bottom and the slope of the back of the ditches. Generally speaking the side slope should let a vehicle recover at that speed should it be driven off of the road top.

Interesting to note the highways I was involved in the design of were built to a design of 10 mph above what was projected to be the speed limit. Recent political decisions have set speeds above what many highways were built to.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyCoder View Post
Possibly the point of mentioning the excess speed in the police reports was to highlight the fact that drivers doing the speed limit, or below, have the necessary time to react and do not become statistics.

The speed limit is not just an arbitrary number picked by throwing darts, and it seems the vast majority of people do not seem to understand that is the MAXIMUM speed and all speeds down to the minimum speed are legal.
I currently am limited to 72 mph, due to the wrong PPM setting in my ECU. There are a number of states just South of me with 80 mph speed limits and although I usually travel in the 60-65 speed range, it would be nice to be able to at least be capable of being able to keep up with the slower traffic.
Happy Glamping.