Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The date codes turned out to be 0907. I was very angry and got the store manager involved but I was stuck. They extended the warranty, which is pretty meaningless. They swore up and down that the tires had just come from the Michelin warehouse. I don't know if I believe them or not.

Moral, don't let them take the tires off until you inspect the new tires.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2008, 05:14 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The date codes turned out to be 0907. I was very angry and got the store manager involved but I was stuck. They extended the warranty, which is pretty meaningless. They swore up and down that the tires had just come from the Michelin warehouse. I don't know if I believe them or not.

Moral, don't let them take the tires off until you inspect the new tires.

Old 08-11-2008, 03:38 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
[QUOTE]Originally posted by bruceh:

bruceh, The Michelin warranty begins from the date you purchase the tires, not the production date. The only time production date is used for warranty purposes is when you cannot prove date of purchase. I just purchased 2 XZE Michelins for the front or my motorhome with a production date of 2008 from Costco. My old tires were XRV's and were badly cracked on the sidewalls.
The warranty information is in your warranty booklet, and also on Michelins web.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Just as a matter of trivia ... IF you never put air in the tires, they actually do not even begin to wear.

If you have a Michelin tire that is a few months of DOT date code out from another it won't matter at all. As soon as you air up all the tires that is actually when the clock starts ticking "wear wise" . Warranty begins on the date of purchase and is cross checked using the DOT date code.

I wouldn't fuss too much over a few weeks if it came to that.

Now when I ordered my tires, even before I showed up at the dealer, I insisted that they all be the same date code.

Now I could have gotten newer tires but they were short by 1 tire so I had to settle for tires that were a few weeks older - but they all match.

Michelin tells us that we can go 10 years before we have to change our tires - that's a long time in the RV business or ownership. The tires are warrantied for 5 years.

A Michelin Tire and Rubber representative will be at the WCMC Rally in Myrtle Beach this October. We appreciate their support!
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:49 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Maybe I am in the weeds here and someone can correct me.

I have thought that there were two factors in the life of a MH tire, wear as in the tread is worn out and age as in sidewall cracking.

I never expect to wear out a MH tire. My old tires (original XRV) had moderate sidewall cracking and date codes from 2000.

The new tires are already a year and a half old, 0907 is week 9 of 2007 unless I don't understand date codes. This is more than a few weeks. Granted that they have not been stored in the sun but isn't the age clock running from when the tires come out of the mold?

Old 08-11-2008, 12:07 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
bruceh, you are correct as to when wear begins, sidewall cracks seems to begin only when the tires are subject to sunlight. Michelin calls it "sidewall checking and cracking due to exposure to ozone." I just replaced the front XRV's that were just 5 years old because of deep sidewall cracks. (1/8 to 3/16 inch deep in places. Started cracking after about 2 years of use. Cracking not covered by warranty, didn't trust them so replaced. Inside rear duals are NOT cracked either side, because of no sunshine on them I suppose. Rotated them inside to outside, and hope to get a couple more years out of them. I live a few hundred miles south of you, east of Bakersfield.

Dieselclacker
Old 08-11-2008, 12:08 PM   #7
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">isn't the age clock running from when the tires come out of the mold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe it is, but the aging effects are obviously not as severe as a tire in service.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 07:28 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by bruceh:
.... but isn't the age clock running from when the tires come out of the mold? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>The DOT Code begins ticking off yes however the tire doesn't start being affected until you put air in it. Tires have a pretty long shelf life they tell me.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM   #9

Just recently, I returned from a trip to the Pacific Northwest. Upon returning home, I had a softball sized bubble on the side wall of my L front tire. I limped it down to my local tire shop (whom I really like), and switched out my Michelin XRV spare for the bad one. I have since put a use Goodyear on the spare. All pressures are checked religiously and the date code was '02. Moral of the story is to check your tires every trip. The tire experts have really no idea why this happened. somemetimes things just happen.

Greg & Lynn (Full-Timing)
2011 Phaeton 42 QBH / Spartan Chassis
2003 Jeep GC Overland in Tow
FDchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 12:51 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Dieselclacker
I believe you will find that Michelin XZE tires are NOT recommended for motorhomes and are recommended for local driving only such as delivery. You might check with Michelin on this.
ABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2008, 01:25 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for your concern. I did check the specs for the XZE's and they are speed rated to 75 mph and load range F. My motorhome is equipped with 19.5 inch. Side wall is just a tad stiffer than XRV that I replaced. They are on and seem to be just fine for the short time I have had them.

Dieselclacker