Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #1

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
According to some posts over on RV.net Monaco no longer is building on the UFO chassis. It was also stated that one dealer had 2 UFO chassis setting on the lot from back in the summer of 07.

I see the UFO going the way of the R chassis unless there is a big push by the OEM and an acceptenace by the RV buyer community.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #2

According to some posts over on RV.net Monaco no longer is building on the UFO chassis. It was also stated that one dealer had 2 UFO chassis setting on the lot from back in the summer of 07.

I see the UFO going the way of the R chassis unless there is a big push by the OEM and an acceptenace by the RV buyer community.
Old 04-09-2008, 12:08 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't think I will either.
The way WH tries to blame their customers for their brake failures is pretty dam sad. Some the R&D that went to the UFO should have went to fixing the brake problems and building Workhorse Parts Stores.
Did'nt International buy out WH? I wonder if International will keep the WH name or if they'll start from scratch making their own MH chassis; or maybe get out of the MH business all together.
It's so hard to get parts now, how would we ever get parts if WH went down like National?
With Ford makiong the bigger chassis's now , the economy down and gas hitting all time highs , it makes me wonder if WH will be around for the long run.
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 02:30 PM   #4

GENTLEMEN: You are all entitled to your opinions regarding Workhorse, and are free to express them here in the forum sponsored by the company you express little faith in. HOWEVER, the rules of iRV2.com expressly forbit political comments, and therefore I have edited out the last line by Max49. ED (moderator)
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 04:44 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry about that. I did'nt think it was so bad.
We can talk about the sponsors but not the state of the nation?
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-09-2008, 06:02 PM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We can talk about the sponsors but not the state of the nation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Max49: I don't make the rules, but I am charged with enforcing them. Political commentary is prohibited in all the forums of iRV2.com, not just here in this one. Check the terms of service if you doubt me. ED
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 06:54 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Motorhome manufacturers reserve the right to make any model changes they desire that improves their bottom line or at the moment makes sense to them. If they aren't going to build on the UFO there must be other reasons that are not readily apparent because this information at best is speculative unless it comes from Monaco directly.

Monaco and Navistar are joined at the hip being engaged in a joint venture with Custom Chassis Products LLC (CCP) in Elkhart, IN.

Now at Winnebago Industries on the other hand we see them expanding their UFO use with the Adventurer Limited product. A company as large as Winnebago Industries wouldn't do this on speculation alone especially given these difficult economic times.

One thing will remain constant in the motorhome industry and that is if you wait long enough something will change.

In my and many hundred other test drivers the Workhorse UFO is the next generational leap in RV performance and once driven it's then desired!

I am not overly concerned about what is currently happening in the RV Industry because it is affecting every manufacturer across the board. Once this slump starts turning back upward you will see who in fact is left standing and who might fall. I'm sure that Workhorse will be much stronger on the upswing and it'll continue to provide us with great products.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2008, 08:23 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by edgray:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">We can talk about the sponsors but not the state of the nation? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Max49: I don't make the rules, but I am charged with enforcing them. Political commentary is prohibited in all the forums of iRV2.com, not just here in this one. Check the terms of service if you doubt me. ED </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think that is a wonderful policy. I have seen too many non-political forums degenerate into political rants. One thread in a windsurfing group just wouldn't die. There are plenty of forums for poilitics of any persuasion.

2007 Forest River Lexington Ford E450 Chassis
bruceh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 03:23 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
I see the UFO going the way of the R chassis unless there is a big push by the OEM and an acceptance by the RV buyer community. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dale, Regarding the pre-mature passing away of the R-Series; Gulfstream RV uses the chassis exclusively on their Crescendo and Yellowstone line of coaches and it is obviously making a difference in their business model or an FLCC option would be available especially given these times.

CAT engines are really appreciated by owners who have them and in 2008 and beyond WCC has gone exclusively to the new 360 HP C7 CAT with Acert technology.

It's not difficult to find a number of your posts where you are sharing that the R-Series is failing and in decline and soon will pass however the R-Series is alive and well and WCC is committed to manufacturing this product for the foreseeable future.

Workhorse is the "only" chassis manufacturer that makes both front and rear gas and front and rear diesel products for both RV and commercial use.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 05:01 AM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Max49: I don't make the rules, but I am charged with enforcing them. Political commentary is prohibited in all the forums of iRV2.com, not just here in this one. Check the terms of service if you doubt me. ED[/QUOTE]

It's OK Edgray, I believe you. "No biggie",
but it was true
Denver, Colorado
Old 04-10-2008, 05:50 AM   #11

To All....

I didn't start this thread to KNOCK Workhorse.

I think the UFO is a great idea.... If I were in the market for a new coach I would differently consider one IF I could find an OEM with a floor plan that I liked. But, if the OEMs are not using and/or expanding its use with floor plans that the consumer will buy it may disappear.

Mike,

As far as the "R" chassis... Again Workhorse has a great design. But, as I said to John Krider back in 2004 they are fighting and up hill battle with Freightliner, Spartan, Roadmaster and any others. You always bring up Gulfstream.... thats great but are there any others that have the "R" chassis available or even an option?

I won't even get into service or parts. Workhorse has had ample time to resolve these issues. Maybe Navistar can fix the problem.

The bottom line is, when you add all this up it makes a person think about what chassis should I be looking at. Now toss in the fuel cost problem, the bankruptcy of National RV, the closing of Travel Supreme, the general decline of the economic environment and you do not have ideal conditions for a new chassis to succeed it the market place.
Old 04-10-2008, 06:47 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:

I see the UFO going the way of the R chassis </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Which 'way' did the R series go?

Still alive and well.

Funny thing is that Monaco/Roadmaster itself is involved in the constructing of both the UFO and R chassis through the CCP partnership.
parts_expert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 06:51 AM   #13

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">The closing of Travel Surpreme </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I heard that was a temporary closure. Are they closed for good?
Old 04-10-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
Administrator in Memoriam

Newmar Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Spartan Chassis
They no longer exist. Jayco has bought certain assets.

More info here.

Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote