Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #1

The Bilsteins I put on are TOO GOOD.
They control the bouncing and BIG dips unbeleivably well, but pavement cracks/joints are killing us.

Monroe Gas Magnum RV's at $57.15ea seems reasonable.
The KONI's at $150-$170ea are expensive.
Are KONI's ACTUALLY worth the difference all around? and do they actually do what they clain?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2006, 05:02 AM   #2

The Bilsteins I put on are TOO GOOD.
They control the bouncing and BIG dips unbeleivably well, but pavement cracks/joints are killing us.

Monroe Gas Magnum RV's at $57.15ea seems reasonable.
The KONI's at $150-$170ea are expensive.
Are KONI's ACTUALLY worth the difference all around? and do they actually do what they clain?
Old 05-14-2006, 05:22 AM   #3

Have you gone out to the Monroe Web-site
and read the true story of how these RV
Gas Magnums came about?

DriVer has said that he replaced his Monroes
at about 35K miles, so that is an indicator
of how long they live. The Konis are a true
lifetime shock, the only downside is if one
fails you must remove it and send it in to be
repaired. And in the meantime, if you wanted
to use your Coach, it'd have 3 shocks on it,
not very safe. The Monroes, OTOH, if one leaks,
or otherwise fails, the replacement shock should be available that day, and you can use
your Coach right away.

The Division President of Monroe Shocks is an
RVer. Much like Bob Tiffin, you can call him,
tell the gal that answers the phone that you
have some questions/concerns about RV Shocks,
and the very next person you talk to will be the Man hisself.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:56 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by lwmuddy:
Are KONI's ACTUALLY worth the difference all around? and do they actually do what they claim? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Yes & Yes. Don't take my word for it ask someone else. I'm sure others will respond to this post.

I'm not exactly sure about that repair deal that Steady Eddie is talking about, it looks to me like the shocks are sealed units. I will however call the mother ship on Monday and find out for sure.

I do not expect that one of these shocks will fail under routine RV usage since they are specifically designed for the Workhorse W-Series and the Stabil-Air kit. The Dutch are nice people and they make great shock absorbers. Almost every hi performance vehicle that's currently on the road in Europe uses Koni Shocks. Unconditionally the shocks are warrantied for life so these will be the last shocks you buy for your motorhome.

The Koni FSD shocks absorbers are the best technology in shocks absorbers bar none.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:40 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Driver, what hi performance vehicles in Europe are you talking about?? Are you saying that my RV is a high performance vehicle? I've asked this question on numerous occasions, what are we expecting from these vehicles, most of us are reducing are driving speeds below the speed limits to conserve fuel, so where does the "performance' enter into it. To me performance means better control at higher speeds, less roll when going around curves, ability to recover from dips in the road etc. these things will only happen if I settle for a harsher ride.

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 06:42 AM   #6

DriVer,
If the FSD Konis are a Warranty Direct
Replacement exchange that is even better.

Allison transmisson
Steady Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 07:02 AM   #7

I changed my Monroe Magnums for the Koni FSDs this spring. This is on a Mountain Aire W22. I had 13,000 miles on the Monroes. I haven't experienced any major change in the handleing of the coach, but I have noticed a better ride. Particularly on "smooth" bumps like ramps on and off a bridge. On harsh bumps like a pot hole, there is little improvement. Driving on highways with rough expansion joints are definitely smoother.
Knowing what I know now, I would still change out the Monroes for the Koni's. Although I think I would have waited until I had 25,000 to 30,000 miles on the coach. The Koni's handle about the same as the Monroes, but do provide a better ride. I don't think the improvement was as noticeable for me because I only had 13,000 miles on the Monroes.

Jack

Jack Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 08:50 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Captain Bud: </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Bud, I was only making the point that several 7 digit Euro dollar vehicles like Ferrari and Lamborghini Gallardos use Koni shocks as OEM equipment and if they are good enough for million dollar vehicles then they must be excellent for other specifically designed purposes.

Koni also builds shocks absorbers for bridges, earth movers, ultra large vehicles, 100 ton locomotives and other vehicles and special purposes.

The fact that Koni has made their FSD technology available to us motorhome folks is great! It takes a lot of R&D to make a piece equipment just specifically tuned for a Workhorse and Koni has achieved that pursuit. First hand I can tell you that I simply love the ride of the new FSDs that we have on our motorhome.

You can always read up on the Koni FSD on their website located here: Koni RV USA.com

The previous generation of Konis were adjustable and set to the GAWR of the vehicle. I really wasn't in love with the idea with shocks that had to be removed, set, then reinstalled to make the adjustment plus the price was at about $200 bucks each. Even then those shocks were much better than anything else available. The new shocks are continuously adjustable while going down the road and they are available for a buck and a half directly from Koni.

If I were thinking about improving my ride quality or buying shocks, I'd be looking at Koni FSD.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">To me performance means better control at higher speeds, less roll when going around curves, ability to recover from dips in the road etc. these things will only happen if I settle for a harsher ride. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Continuing, You would be surprised. You can have your cake and eat it too!
Old 05-14-2006, 10:30 AM   #9

The above reply's are why I like comming to IRV2. No BS, but facts. Plus, DRI-VER is the closest thing to calling WH or Fleetwood, not to mention he won't put you on hold.
Up close and personal. And the rest of you guys too.
KONI it is, as long as DW says yes. Pleeeese.

Maybe a set of XRV's too to add a mushyer effect. Thanks once again.
Old 05-14-2006, 02:46 PM   #10

DriVer,

I will be in need of replacing the shocks on my '98 Chevy P32 chassis. I understand from your post that Koni is now making shocks exclusively designed for the Workhorse chassis, and that is great. Would these be an appropriate choice for my "old" chassis, or would I be as pleased with Monroe or Bilstien?
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Kazoo Tom:
I will be in need of replacing the shocks on my '98 Chevy P32 chassis. I understand from your post that Koni is now making shocks exclusively designed for the Workhorse chassis, and that is great. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I think they would be an excellent choice for your P32 motorhome.

Chevrolet - P30 / P32

FRONT
8805-1006
Note: NEW FSD

REAR
8805-1007
Note: NEW FSD

I know the Koni shocks are very comfortable without being harsh. I am not sure how well they will translate from W to P series but I'm sure that Koni would not have made their FSD shocks available for the P if they didn't work.

The Bilstein shocks would work well on your chassis since Workhorse chose them for OEM units.

The Monroe shocks will give you a nice ride however I wore out a set of those shocks in 35,000 miles.
Old 05-14-2006, 05:14 PM   #12

Thanks for your response, and much appreciate the part numbers. I will likely do the front first, along with the Henderson springs, then save a few more pennies to do the back.

The front end rides about 1.5 to 2" low. The airbags are at 95#. I have been told that the new springs will likely bring me back to level. I expect the shocks and springs will make a world of difference.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:22 AM   #13

Kazoo Tom, If you replace your shocks,with a stiffer brand, be sure to pay attention to the re-inforcing of the mounting brackets.

My '95 P-32, with Bilsteins, pulled the bracket right off the the bottom of the "A" arm on the front end.

You will enjoy the ride improvement.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2006, 02:34 AM   #14

Kazoo Tom--One more thing---I also had the beefed up coil springs on my P-32 and after 3-4 yrs they began to sag, much like the original springs, and I re-installed the air bags. The bags brought it back to near level again.

So, if you are offered the option, of keeping the air bags,think about it. Just keep them inflated to a minimum, to keep from pinching them.
BobFL is offline   Reply With Quote