Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2008, 02:54 AM   #29

Monaco Owners Club
I too did the mail order Ultra Power tune, along with the CAI. I installed both in an easy afternoon. This was in late 2005. Then just this last July I was on a trip out west and like Dave I couldn't pass up stopping by Brazel's in Centralia. It was a bit out of the way but, it was well worth it. It's indeed a trip to Disneyland, sitting in the moho while Steve did the tuning, and just talking to all the guys. His tune did make some difference, not a lot, but it definitely drove differently. Mostly because during one test we found the Fan Clutch was not disengaging properly. It was coming on too often and not shutting down as soon as it should. I had Mike order a new Fan Clutch out of Reno and we had it the next day. With the fan clutch working normally the rig pulled much better then it did. Steve said those things suck between 20% & 25% of your horsepower when running.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:26 AM   #30

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dale - I only live "up the road" from you a few miles. Does the same offer (scan, dyno etc) apply to me when I come in the spring to have the Ultrapower installed? Without the BBQ it's a deal breaker though. I guess I could force myself to eat some of that rotten Elgin BBQ, although Louis Mueller wouldn't break my heart either.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:52 AM   #31

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
How about I meet you in the old Wal Mart parking in Taylor lot do your scan and tune. Then go down to Muellers for BBQ.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:10 AM   #32

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My 37'er has a "Stock" 8.1 and I've never had any complaints of how it goes uphill.

That said.. I have not done Colorado hills
Old 10-28-2008, 06:54 AM   #33

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Dave - that sounds good to me, but that doesn't include the UP does it? I'm really naive in understanding what all the process is. I'm not a gear head so about all I know about any vehicle is how to start one up, drive it, and turn it off!

I'm fixin' (as you well know, that is a Texas term) to have surgery on my achilles tendon which is the reason I will have to wait until spring to have anything done. I'm told that it will be several months until I can move around on my own. I can't wait! I'll be able to go to Louis Mueller before I can drive so maybe we can get together early next year and just have a BBQ.
golden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 07:55 AM   #34

John-D,

Ask any of the 10 guys from the WCMC how their coach runs the hills after UP. One customer remarked that his coach never went in to 3rd gear like it use to on the way home.
Old 10-28-2008, 08:01 AM   #35

Golden,

I prefer doing an UltraPower then BBQ as it less taxing on the wallet. But, I can always be talked into BBQ. We have a few choices like South Side, Meyer's and Cartwright's in Elgin or the Old Coupland Inn in Coupland or Rudy's and Mueller's in Taylor.

Heck, when you get ready for UP, plugs, wires, WHFF, oil and air filters we might as well do 4 corner weights as I will bring my scales.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:05 PM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by golden:
My main complaint is that I have to drive 20 mph in the Colorado mountains .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll see that we have similar MHs and toads. Last year we went westbound on US 50 up the Monarch Pass at about 48 MPH. I was doing fine until I caught up to a slow-moving 18-wheeler near the top where the passing zone ends.
UP works.
Ding-a-ling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 12:11 PM   #37

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by golden:
My main complaint is that I have to drive 20 mph in the Colorado mountains .... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>You'll see that we have similar MHs and toads. Last year we went westbound on US 50 up the Monarch Pass at about 48 MPH. I was doing fine until I caught up to a slow-moving 18-wheeler near the top where the passing zone ends.
UP works. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's about 20 mph faster than I can do that stretch! My engine fan roared the full 20 minutes also.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 02:04 PM   #38

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ding-a-ling:
QUOTE]You'll see that we have similar MHs and toads. Last year we went westbound on US 50 up the Monarch Pass at about 48 MPH.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow!, that is a 24,000lb 'hot rod'. Or were you pulling the toad too?
That's about 13 MPH faster than I can do it with my 18,000lb rig in 1st gear @ 4800 or 5000 RPM
Denver, Colorado
max49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 06:55 PM   #39

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">You'll see that we have similar MHs and toads. Last year we went westbound on US 50 up the Monarch Pass at about 48 MPH. I was doing fine until I caught up to a slow-moving 18-wheeler near the top where the passing zone ends.
UP works. Nod </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
It's TRUE!!!!
Old 10-29-2008, 01:55 AM   #40

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have been over Monarch Pass three times and my little 33 footer will only pull it in 1st gear @25-29 mph
Old 10-29-2008, 08:14 AM   #41

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ron55,

Time for a UltraPower programming. You won't be sorry. More HP, Torque & better MPG.

Ed
Old 10-29-2008, 08:17 AM   #42

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by RON55:
I have been over Monarch Pass three times and my little 33 footer will only pull it in 1st gear @25-29 mph </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same here....and I have the UP.
FrontRangeRVer is offline   Reply With Quote