Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2010, 11:18 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Motorhome Mag/Limp Mode

Has anyone read the latest Motorhome Mag article re WH limp mode? I have been having the problem on a recurring basis without any resolutions from WH. Am on the road and haven't been able to get my mag yet.

Richard
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2010, 01:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12 View Post
Has anyone read the latest Motorhome Mag article re WH limp mode? I have been having the problem on a recurring basis without any resolutions from WH. Am on the road and haven't been able to get my mag yet.

Richard
Richard:

On page 60 of the September edition of MOTORHOME, in the Coach and Powertrain advice column, there is a letter from a WH owner with repetitive instances of "reduced power" mode activation.

If this is the "article" you are asking about, the apparent conclusion of the problem was when the third episode techs "found two loose ground wires under the engine". The owner also wrote: "Codes were cleared and we were on our way".

The magazine's expert, Ken Freund, concluded: "It's likely the technicians already solved the problem"

Hope this is the info you were asking about.
Ed
edgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 07:11 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Limp mode

Still have lose of power/limp mode. Motor Home article claims a fix with a ground connection. I doubt it. Am 4,000 miles into an 8,000 mile journey. The problem has recurred to me five times during this trip so far. Many times before. Have been able to restart four or five times and problem goes away for a period of time. Dealer service says that western WH rep only reports the problem back to WH QC. No fix. This is a safety issue!!!!! Time to get NSTB involved!!!! Others are having problem with parts thrown at it with no final fix. Weather in NW MT is great!!!!

Richard
Old 08-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard12 View Post
Time to get NSTB involved!!!!
Richard, NTSB won't get involved unless you drive the rig off of a bridge or some other devestating accident. I think you might want to bring it to the attention of NHTSA if anything.

If you find yourself in the West consider service from Redlands Truck and RV or Brazel's RV Performance. They will be there when you need them and I expect they will get to the bottom of this problem because they are that good.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:19 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Here is a old thread from this forum related to wires on a ground post workhorse chassis.
These grounds are for HWH jacks and fuse panel circuits above.
There is another old thread about power downs because of rain water causing workhorse chassis to go into limp mode.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 08:23 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Richard, NTSB won't get involved unless you drive the rig off of a bridge or some other devestating accident. I think you might want to bring it to the attention of NHTSA if anything.
Hummm... that's why it took so long to get they to look at the WH brake problem...
Old 08-13-2010, 05:06 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
my cruise set me into limp mode everytime I hold the resume button on over 1 second, and has done this since new. their are some other people on this site with the same problem
Old 08-13-2010, 05:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
my cruise set me into limp mode every time I hold the resume button on over 1 second, and has done this since new. their are some other people on this site with the same problem
I'll have to try that to see if that happens on mine.

So if you hit the resume button does it work at all? 1 second doesn't seem to be a lot of time. My resume will engage within 1/2 of a second. Talk about timing. If I have a moment within the next few days I go through the diagnostic tables to see if there's anything in print that suggests a resolution.

I'm sure that you could replicate this is you went out with a T2 plugged in and a DTC posted.
Old 08-13-2010, 11:50 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by DriVer View Post
Not true.. Let me give you two examples of incidents where NHTSA got involved.

1:Toyota... Since Toyota made an effort to cover it up there were what, something like over 20 alleged dead before NHTSA got involved.. Many major incidents.. Now I believe some have been proven fraudulent but not all.

2: Bosch Brakes on Workhorse: Not one fatality, No broken bridges, Just motor homes that will not go.

Workhorse, of course, cooperated fully with NHTSA.

However in the case of the Original Poster...

Every company, even very expensive hand made sports car companies, occasionally turn out a clunker, a Lemon that spends more time in shop than on road.. And every company, even the worst one in the world, occasionally gets one right and it runs for years with no issues.

I think the O/P's issues are of the "Occasionally" rather than a design issue, NHTSA is more into design flaws like the optional KABOOM tank on the old Ford Pintos.

Oh, re the expensive hand made sports car.. A story.

Man owns one, and as noted it spends more time in shop than on road, Breaks down in Detroit and tow truck is dispatched.. He has it towed to an area near the State Fair Grounds.. Late October.

"Devil's Night" (10/30/xxxx) he walks up to car, Unlocks it, Rolls down window, Backs off, Assembles and lights up his Fire Bomb and draws back to throw it into the car.

And gets Mobbed by police

He'd had the tow truck drop it in front of a drug house under observation.

Now he is out a car, out the cost of the car, out lawyers fees, out insurance (Canceled plus he is now high risk) what is he in... Take your pick of the following, Any or all if you like: Trouble, Custody, Jail, Debt and TROUBLE again.

But at least he was a fine Upstanding Citizen (Up Standing, In front of the Judge that is)
Old 08-13-2010, 02:11 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yep the resume on the cruise R/A slide button but I can get away with useing the resume if it is instant. In traffic on the interstate I guess I am pushing over a second or two to get to speed and bam into the limp and a check engine lite but no code and the check light goes out in about an hour.
I just came to chokoloskee and used it a few times but one time, held it two long on 95 and limp. Now, I usually turn it off and back on but since I used the cruise all the time I will wear out the on/off
I now use the accelerator to get to speed and hit the resume for a instant and that works
Old 08-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks driver and others for the quick responses. Not ready to throw any fire bombs, like the coach too much, it's very livable!!!
Will try the cruse control resume thing sometime when it's safe to do so. The toughest problem is that so far I haven't been able to make it happen on demand (like some others I've talked to). My previous life was in the computer business and I am begining to think that it's related to a software issue or some tolerance level that's set too narrow. There has never been a code set that any service center can pin the problem down.
We'll just keep on going down the road.

Richard
Old 08-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Your CC is already in that mode use your gas pedal bring coach up to speed than press button on end of directional lever.
Any time your flip the resume button your asking the engine to go into limp mode guaranteed.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 05:05 AM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why and how should the cruise set the vehicle into limp mode? I have now three other vehicles and none of them will due anything from the cruise except cruise or not cruise.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:27 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ron55 View Post
Why and how should the cruise set the vehicle into limp mode? I have now three other vehicles and none of them will due anything from the cruise except cruise or not cruise.
Chief, If I knew that we could make a recommendation on how to un-broke the thing ... .

The OP said that he's half-way through an 8,000 mile trip, hopefully he'll make it past someone that should be able to fix this problem. I think it would be straight forward. Run a T2 in the OBDII port underway, set the cruise and then apply the resume. If the machine goes into REP (reduced engine power), a DTC (diagnostic trouble code) should set and I expect that they will be able to read it.