Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2009, 10:41 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need Advice - Rear end noise - warranty

I'm hoping the fine folks here will have some advice on getting WH to honor the warranty on my 2006 W22 Bounder.

The rear-end has been making noise since I bought it (at 1,320 miles). I've complained every time I had the oil changed. Gradually, the noise got worse and worse and, last spring, while the vehicle was still on warranty (13,000 miles), the local Workhorse service center in St. Paul, MN, agreed and replaced the ring and pinion. The noise completely disappeared.

Now, at 17,000 miles (5 months later) the noise is starting to get bad again. I've learned that there is a problem with the Dana rear end and Workhorse is aware of it. It's been less than a year since they did the ring and pinion so, in theory that repair is still under warranty even though the chassis is not.

According to the service center, the Regional Service Manager signed off on replacing the whole axle but someone higher up said no (and suggested I use some soundproofing spray!). He mentioned that I wasn't the original owner, and the differential had had a leak before the last repair (even though the repair cured the noise completely). He also said that the RV had 39,200 miles on it when I bought it (somehow a zero got added to the beginning mileage in the WH records).

I know the noise is only going to get worse. The service center says that they won't fix it if Workhorse won't cover it.

I tried calling Workhorse but was told that there's no way to reach anyone above a regional service manager.

Any advice appreciated.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:53 PM   #2

try writing to trailer life or motorhome and ask their help in getting you problem resolved.
faye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 05:48 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Even thugh Workhorse covered the repair 5 months ago the warranty should be on the shop that did the work. It is there responability to provide a quality repair. On Dana having problems with these rear ends I have been a mechanic for many rears and have not heared of any major problems with Dana or spicer and these unit are put in a lot of other trucks and not just MHs.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 01:18 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't know what rear axle you have but I had/have the same problem. I'm original owner and noise started shortly after purchase and was told twice not the axle. Got to a Workhorse service center who did find differential carrier bearing race spun in third member. Workhorse replaced third member under warranty. Situation starting again. I am in process with Workhorse and dealer on it. HOWEVER if it is failing twice, I recently (today) found out by truck service centers, the problem isn't the third member but a bent housing or axle which is causing the differential to become noisy and eventually fail. These axles under Workhorse are robust but there has been a number of them fail from factory related problems. Factory being Dana in my case not Workhorse caused.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:36 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the replies. I do have the Dana rear end. I finally got to talk to someone at Workhorse who was not very encouraging. The bottom line is that there's no warranty for noise.

He said that there was a replacement program where some very noisy rear axles were replaced (hub-to-hub) with Dana axles specially manufactured to be quiet. Since I'm out of warranty, I wouldn't qualify.

As for the repair shop's warranty (Chevrolet medium-duty truck repair place) , they told me that their warranty was Workhorse's warranty and that if Workhorse wouldn't cover it, I was out of luck. The Workhorse guy told me that their warranty on repairs runs out the minute the vehicle warranty runs out.

I'm on the road until spring. If it gets bad enough during that time, I'll see if I can get the regional Workhorse rep to ride in it.
Old 12-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I just put my W24 in the shop yesterday for the same problem. Sure hope they can cure it. It was very loud and when they pulled the diff oil plug it was full of metal shavings.
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 04:27 PM   #7

All this sure doesn't sound very encouraging for anyone considering purchasing a new or used coach with a Workhorse chassis. I know I would be very reluctant considering Workhorse's attitude toward their customers.

Wagonmaster2
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAD View Post
I just put my W24 in the shop yesterday for the same problem. Sure hope they can cure it. It was very loud and when they pulled the diff oil plug it was full of metal shavings.
The metal shavings should help in your case. I had some worn-looking gears in mine but no significant metal shavings. The new ring and pinion made mine completely silent but only for 500 miles or so.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:50 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am still working on my situation. I have found that in 2003 Dana retorqued the carrier bearing cap bolts twice. As a result, the bolts stretched enough to cause them to loosen after a time and allowed the carrier bearing races to spin. Dana caught the problem later and should be no further problems. However, I don't know of a Workhorse service center outside of maybe Brazil and Redland that has the knowledge to correctly set up a rear axle. The best bet is to find a heavy duty truck rear axle company. They do over-the road trucks and have the equipment and knowledge on the large rear axle. Especially when you consider the torque on the pinon shaft flange is 900 ft.lbs.
Old 12-13-2009, 01:20 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks. My local Workhorse place sent mine to a truck center where they "checked the pattern" and claimed everything looked fine. I'm not sure if that would have showed up the problem you mention or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoutmstr View Post
I am still working on my situation. I have found that in 2003 Dana retorqued the carrier bearing cap bolts twice. As a result, the bolts stretched enough to cause them to loosen after a time and allowed the carrier bearing races to spin. Dana caught the problem later and should be no further problems. However, I don't know of a Workhorse service center outside of maybe Brazil and Redland that has the knowledge to correctly set up a rear axle. The best bet is to find a heavy duty truck rear axle company. They do over-the road trucks and have the equipment and knowledge on the large rear axle. Especially when you consider the torque on the pinon shaft flange is 900 ft.lbs.
Old 12-13-2009, 03:41 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Mine too, has a high pitched whine. Although I've never noticed it while driving. It was during a dyno run while standing next to it with the rear wheels turning it was very obvious. I'm well out of the warranty so I'm not sure which way to go.

Like Wagonmaster2, I doubt I'll ever purchase another Workhorse product.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 10:05 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well I am still waiting for a decision from WH. Since my coach is 38', WH had the dealer measure the angle of the drive shaft. Dealer had to order the tool to measure it as he has never had to do this before. I am starting to regret moving up to this coach. Almost wish I had the Voyage back....
ROMAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2009, 07:53 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROMAD View Post
Well I am still waiting for a decision from WH. Since my coach is 38', WH had the dealer measure the angle of the drive shaft. Dealer had to order the tool to measure it as he has never had to do this before. I am starting to regret moving up to this coach. Almost wish I had the Voyage back....
ROMAD, Workhorse will honor the warranty on this issue however that said Workhorse does not make a 272" wheelbase on the production line. It just won't fit.

I have been in the frame shop at Winnebago Industries and they do a wonderful job in sectioning the chassis, adding a frame extension and providing a new driveshaft section. Winnebago has told me that the drive shafts they use to replace the original shafts are balanced better than the OE units that they are replacing.

I expect that at the end of the day they will find out exactly what the problem is and they will fix it. I wouldn't be too distressed if the shop didn't have the right equipment and had to go and buy something so they can do their job.

In my expereince in the business, driveshaft, frame and alignment shops do this type of work all the time with excellent results. Driveshaft angle and balance is not rocket science they've been doing this type of stuff for years.

Keep in touch and let us know what they find.
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 05:53 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
I had same noises on my 2006 Itasca 35U..under warranty. Dana had a bad batch of differentials that went on many 2006 rigs. ( got one.) Replaced by Workhorse through Dana. It had chunks of gear teeth in the sump. All running quiet now.