RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-27-2017, 05:51 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
Good to know...I have always had very good performance with NGK plugs compared to Champion, Autolite & Bosch. Bosch were terrible in a Toyota replacement.
Champion's suck at everything, for me.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudfrog View Post
I guess for most of us, replacing plugs and wires isn't too much of an issue. Our rig happens to be easy but some manufacturer's configurations are tough. Doesn't matter here though because the OP has stated that he isn't able to do it at this time.

I'd certainly get an estimate and if it seemed high, ask why. I'd bet he would come back with something like "this is a motorhome, not your typical automobile" remark. And of course, he has a point. The OP can decide to bite the bullet/get it done or decline and look for another option. If i was closer, i'd be happy to try and assist.

As far as plug gap, i haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Replaced the last set using .060 but if i have another problem, i'll try the .045.
I talked to him today, he said to drop it off..., I told him I will be waiting on it. So I should have an idea what the labor cost will be. One question, he had said he would pull the front end into his shop and jack it up to remove the wheels, this concerned me. I told him that the guys on the forum said no need to remove the front wheels. Hope this is correct, no one said anything about removing them. He said I had misunderstood him, no I had not. I don't like anyone screwing with the front wheels-tires on my motorhome, I would have gone to a truck place to have the wheel nuts checked. I'll get it to him next week, wanted this crazy weather to calm down. We use it in the winter so I don't winterized the washing machine or the stupid ice maker (RV gas electric) refrigerator. I use electric radiator type heater and run some light bulbs in two outside compartments. I want to thank all for your help.

Old 03-27-2017, 07:23 PM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Some set ups on some V-8 engines are easier to access from underneath, but on an RV I'm not sure removing the tires is required. Unless you want to sit up with his head in the wheel well, I'd think they could be accessed from below on a mechanic's dolly.

Trusting him with your plugs, wires, and the possible issues of not getting it done properly (stripped threads, improper torque and having a plug blow out, etc.) I'm a little surprised you'd worry about lug nut torque.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 06:21 AM   #18

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Some set ups on some V-8 engines are easier to access from underneath, but on an RV I'm not sure removing the tires is required. Unless you want to sit up with his head in the wheel well, I'd think they could be accessed from below on a mechanic's dolly.

Trusting him with your plugs, wires, and the possible issues of not getting it done properly (stripped threads, improper torque and having a plug blow out, etc.) I'm a little surprised you'd worry about lug nut torque.
This is what he does for a living, so what do you do. He has experience working on the 8.1 just not in a motor home. He is familiar with the heat sinks ect.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:38 AM   #19

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete & Linda View Post
This is what he does for a living, so what do you do. He has experience working on the 8.1 just not in a motor home. He is familiar with the heat sinks ect.
I do nothing for a living anymore, I'm retired.

I also know the width of a Workhorse chassis is far greater than a Camaro or some other vehicle with an 8.1L engine, so removing the wheels might not be needed.

I also have the sense to wonder why you now defend this 'good' mechanic that you say has overcharged you in the past, you don't trust him to remove and reinstall the front wheels properly, and you want to watch him work so you know what the labor charge will be.

In addition, you've bought the parts you want him to install. Many shops will charge more for parts you supply since they don't get to charge the price difference from retail price from what they get pay their wholesale supplier. Any charge for cleaning supplies, disposal fees, etc. can still be tacked on to your bill as "shop charges", so timing him isn't a sure way to gauge cost. What if he takes a bathroom break, a phone call, or talk to another customer? or any of the other jobs required by a garage owner or mechanic?

In a motorhome, the plug wires from each coil pack will have to be installed from inside the dog house and under the hood. If doing it alone, at minimum time will be consumed in making sure to clearly label each wire as it's connected up top. Then he has to go underneath again to connect to the proper plug. Does the clock stop when moving from inside to underneath? What if he uses an assistant to help, do you consider their hourly rate too?

Not sure what you gain by staying with the vehicle while it's being serviced. Either you trust him or find a new mechanic. If you know the job steps, but are just unable to do it yourself, why not find a young person interested in learning new skills and supervise their installation of the plugs and wires? You won't have to pay full mechanic rate and they learn a skill.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2017, 08:09 AM   #20

what is your idea of overcharging? Could it be that what you paid in the past for good service was fair? Give us some examples.

I am a mechanic for a living and know that a large portion of customers will claim they are getting ripped off no matter what it cost.
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 08:29 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Champion's suck at everything, for me.
Champions work better in the Jeep 4.0 than NGKs. And they cost less.
RobbieH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:10 PM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

I also know the width of a Workhorse chassis is far greater than a Camaro or some other vehicle with an 8.1L engine, so removing the wheels might not be needed.

I also have the sense to wonder why you now defend this 'good' mechanic that you say has overcharged you in the past, you don't trust him to remove and reinstall the front wheels properly, and you want to watch him work so you know what the labor charge will be.

In addition, you've bought the parts you want him to install. Many shops will charge more for parts you supply since they don't get to charge the price difference from retail price from what they get pay their wholesale supplier. Any charge for cleaning supplies, disposal fees, etc. can still be tacked on to your bill as "shop charges", so timing him isn't a sure way to gauge cost. What if he takes a bathroom break, a phone call, or talk to another customer? or any of the other jobs required by a garage owner or mechanic?

In a motorhome, the plug wires from each coil pack will have to be installed from inside the dog house and under the hood. If doing it alone, at minimum time will be consumed in making sure to clearly label each wire as it's connected up top. Then he has to go underneath again to connect to the proper plug. Does the clock stop when moving from inside to underneath? What if he uses an assistant to help, do you consider their hourly rate too?

Not sure what you gain by staying with the vehicle while it's being serviced. Either you trust him or find a new mechanic. If you know the job steps, but are just unable to do it yourself, why not find a young person interested in learning new skills and supervise their installation of the plugs and wires? You won't have to pay full mechanic rate and they learn a skill.
You are being a little ridiculous here, bathroom brake!!. I won't be using a stop watch. Working from inside and outside under the hood (wheel well) in this case is part of the job. I am not going to argue with him. I ordered the plug wires from Ultra RV Products, plugs local and new heatsinks from him. He is a good mechanic that has experience on the 8.1, he has worked on my truck before. I think he is high on his labor and the amount he adds for parts. I will be there to watch things, he has no experience on a motorhome. If I have someone work on my rig that has no experience with them I will be there. I don't think there would be many here who would be interested in using a young person interested in "learning new skills" to work on their motorhome, I d... sure would not be! The worse people I have EVER had work on my Workhorse were the Workhorse service centers and many other shops will not bother with a motorhome, much less a Workhorse. A well thought of Workhorse service center (NOT my opinion and no location) will only install OEM plug wires and when I ask him about the heatsinks he said they were not needed and he did not install them. Made me want to hurry to let him do the work. So where am I, try to find someone to do the work without making things worse. My local Workhorse service center scraped the lower front putting it on the lift and when they were raising it I just got them stopped before the awning hit a gas pipe going to a gas heater in the ceiling. I had the same job done Less than 15,000 miles ago at a Workhorse Service Center. We were on the road (not good when you are down with an out of state tag and in an RV) and I was not familiar with the problem. All I knew was it would hardly run. They changed plug wires, plugs and I don't know about the heat shields. Also oil/filter and air filter. The charge was just under $1,000. Got me back on the road and that did fix it for a short time, less than 15,000 miles. I have had worse problems than that at other Workhorse Service Centers, they are the LAST place I will ever take it. I have considered selling it and not having to go through this crap. I am 73 years old with some major health problems. I would like to keep camping for a while if I can. As stated this guy has experience on the 8.1, just not in a motorhome. Maybe the "young person needing to learn new skills" will do for you but not me.
Old 03-29-2017, 09:32 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No quote
Old 03-29-2017, 09:34 PM   #24

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
You are being a little ridiculous here, bathroom brake!!.
No, you're being ridiculous. Anyone can take a bathroom break. Do you have a brake pedal you can apply sitting on the toilet??

You get what you pay for. If his work is high quality, then expect to pay more. Take him some donuts or coffee to keep him cooperative.

Bob & Donna
Old 03-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:

You are being a little ridiculous here, bathroom brake!!. I won't be using a stop watch. Working from inside and outside under the hood (wheel well) in this case is part of the job. I am not going to argue with him. I ordered the plug wires from Ultra RV Products, plugs local and new heat shields from him. He is a good mechanic that has experience on the 8.1, he has worked on my truck before. I think he is high on his labor and the amount he adds for parts. I will be there to watch things, he has no experience on a motorhome. If I have someone work on my motorhome that has no experience with them I will be there. I don't think there would be many here who would be interested in using "a young person interested in learning new skills" to work on their motorhome, I d... sure would not be! The worse people I have EVER had work on my Workhorse were the Workhorse service centers and many other shops will not bother with a motorhome, much less a Workhorse. One well thought of Workhorse service center (NOT my opinion and no location) will only install OEM plug wires and when I ask him about the heat shields he said they were not needed and he did not reinstall them. Made me want to hurry to let him do the work. So where am I, try to find someone to do the work without making things worse. I had the same job done Less than 15,000 miles ago at a Workhorse Service Center. We were on the road (not good when you are down with an out of state tag and in an RV) and I was not familiar with the problem. All I knew was it would hardly run. They changed plug wires (OEM I'm sure), plugs and I don't know about the heat shields. Also oil/filter and air filter. The charge was just under $1,000. Got me back on the road and that did fix it for a short time, less than 15,000 miles. I have had worse problems than that at other Workhorse Service Centers, they are the LAST place I will ever take it. One scraped the lower front pulling it up on the lift and when they raised it up I just got them to stop before the awning hit a gas pipe line going to a heater in the ceiling. I have considered selling it and not having to go through this crap. I am 73 years old with some major health problems, I would like to keep camping for a while if I can. As stated this guy has experience on the 8.1, just not with a motorhome. Maybe the "young person needing to learn new skills" will do for you but not me.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:17 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieH View Post
Champions work better in the Jeep 4.0 than NGKs. And they cost less.
I don't know what plugs were in my TJ 4.0 or my JK. Everything I ever tried Champions in had problems.
Old 03-29-2017, 10:21 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
No, you're being ridiculous. Anyone can take a bathroom break. Do you have a brake pedal you can apply sitting on the toilet??

You get what you pay for. If his work is high quality, then expect to pay more. Take him some donuts or coffee to keep him cooperative.
So out of that long quote you come up with a miss-spelled word? You can do better than that can't you?
Old 03-29-2017, 10:23 PM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
what is your idea of overcharging? Could it be that what you paid in the past for good service was fair? Give us some examples.

I am a mechanic for a living and know that a large portion of customers will claim they are getting ripped off no matter what it cost.
See my later quotes on Workhorse Service Centers.

Tags
need help