Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-15-2017, 09:58 AM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Need help with cost

I have a mechanic that has over charged me before so need to keep an eye on him, I want to stay with him as he is good. I can't remember what you call the book that gives the labor in hours. But need to find out the hours to change spark plugs and wires on my Workhorse in a 2004 Pace Arrow 37-C. I have the plugs and wires. The wires are the UltraPower Magnums from Brazels. The plugs are ACDelco #41-101 also new heat shields. They say (I haven't checked yet) they are gaped at 60 but some here say to gap them at 45. What's with that, if so why? The problem is that I don't know of anyone else in my area that I could get to do this. There was a Workhorse service center at a local Chevrolet Dealer. I took it to them once and thankfully I watched, as they pulled it up on the lift the lower front ends scraped on the lift and as they raised it up I noticed there was a gas heater in the ceiling and a gas pipe line was going to hit the awning, I just got them to stop in time. One other time (out of desperation) I needed the rear end replaced (looo..ng story) and the mechanic told the manager he was not going to lay under that thing and lift that heavy thing all day, so they would not do it, thank god. I can't drive it far, it was running like hell when I got home the last time. I can't change the plugs myself as I am old with health problems and don't have any upper body strength.
As side note I talked to the service manager at a marine dealer here on the lake that I sold boats at after I retired and he said the main problem they had with the 8.1 was plugs not wires. Boat motors in an I/o drive do not run anywhere near as hot as we deal with in a motorhome. He said they had to change the plugs in most every season.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2017, 10:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A Chevy or GM service dept. can give you the book time for the procedures you want. However the access to the engine might take longer than the book suggests. While a dealer might just charge you the book time, a private mechanic might charge you the actual time it took to do the work.

See this thread about spark gap:
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f22/which...gap-53887.html

In it Jon Brazel suggests .045.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:13 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Most shops will generally charge 1 - 1.5 hours to replace the spark plugs and wires on a Workhorse.
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 02:31 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm not a mechanic, and I changed all the plugs and wires in mine with a 454 engine in something under two hours, including getting out and putting away the tools.

I didn't actually time it, but it didn't take me all that long and I was being slow and careful so as to not cross up any of the plug wires.

So 2 hours tops, and for someone who really knows what they are doing Jon's 1 - 1.5 hours is probably much closer.
Old 03-15-2017, 02:42 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Talk to your mechanic. Let him know you value his quality work, but are concerned about his costs. If he has integrity, he should show you the estimated hours before the work is done and be honest about the hours actually incurred.

If he does not have integrity it is time to find another mechanic - references are best, but in a pinch there are mobile mechanics that prefer to work out of their "trunk". Look on local paper, craigslist, or classified adds. Ask for references to three previous clients. Pay 50% up front for parts costs and the remainder after the problem is fixed and vehicle running. PS ask for return of the old parts.

My thoughts,
Brian
Towr: 2007 Country Coach Allure 470 - 37 Sunset Bay Cummins 400 ISL, Coach #31563
Toad: 2016 F150 King Ranch - 3.5L EcoBoost 4x4 Supercrew (curb weight 4,775 lbs)
Toad: SOLD 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee (yes, it has a Hemi) (curb weight 4,720 lbs)
BrianGlenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:21 PM   #6

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
You can change them yourself in about 30 mins. I have done to many to count. I do it from under the coach.
Old 03-17-2017, 10:30 AM   #7

Anyone have any recommendations for spark plug replacements?
Has anyone used NGK's compared to the AC Delco brand?
garyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 11:06 AM   #8

Hate to tell you this but the AC Delco 41-101's are made by NGK... TR4A15
Old 03-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
That's good news, NGK was the only plug I could run in my two stroke dirt bikes. They were tough in high heat. Just what we need in our Workhorses.
Lakeman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Good to know...I have always had very good performance with NGK plugs compared to Champion, Autolite & Bosch. Bosch were terrible in a Toyota replacement.
garyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 AM   #11

I guess for most of us, replacing plugs and wires isn't too much of an issue. Our rig happens to be easy but some manufacturer's configurations are tough. Doesn't matter here though because the OP has stated that he isn't able to do it at this time.

I'd certainly get an estimate and if it seemed high, ask why. I'd bet he would come back with something like "this is a motorhome, not your typical automobile" remark. And of course, he has a point. The OP can decide to bite the bullet/get it done or decline and look for another option. If i was closer, i'd be happy to try and assist.

As far as plug gap, i haven't been able to find a definitive answer. Replaced the last set using .060 but if i have another problem, i'll try the .045.
Old 03-21-2017, 04:18 PM   #12

OBTW - I will stay with AC Delco plugs as they are spec'd by GM. If you look real close on the 41-101 plugs you will see the NGK number.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:25 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oemtech View Post
He says like that's a bad thing, lol. I use NGK's in EVERYTHING.
eMKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:38 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by eMKay View Post
He says like that's a bad thing, lol. I use NGK's in EVERYTHING.
Not a bad thing.... Just kind of odd that they leave the plug stamp on the plug.

Tags
need help