Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #1

HELP I am in Kingman Az. and I think my fuel filter has gone bad. I need the Napa number.. I know it's not Napa Gold 3484....

We are stuck here......

I am going to try and do a search and try and find it..

I think I found it Napa Gold FIL3481. I hope... if not let me know I have to wait til Morning Anyway
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2007, 03:11 PM   #2

HELP I am in Kingman Az. and I think my fuel filter has gone bad. I need the Napa number.. I know it's not Napa Gold 3484....

We are stuck here......

I am going to try and do a search and try and find it..

I think I found it Napa Gold FIL3481. I hope... if not let me know I have to wait til Morning Anyway
Old 06-23-2007, 05:09 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Not 100 percent sure but if you have the old type filter try NAPA Gold FIL3481, Fram G3727, Purolator F33144, or at NAPA Pro Select SF123481

I crossed Fram on the NAPA web site and got the above numbers. Each of the above is threaded on each end, not the push fitting.

Good Luck
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2007, 06:25 PM   #4

Thanks Dep....... I was able to find a Fram G3727 from Checker Auto here in Kingman Az. I am now waiting for the service people to arrive so he can install it.

I am wondering if this is something I can do? I am not sure though. I have about a 1/4 tank of fuel and am not sure about pressure. Does it need to be relieved? Will the fuel free flow once the filter comes off? I am going to wait and see. Better to be on the safe side...

Thanks again....
Old 06-24-2007, 04:41 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to Oemtech
I have a modified version of the new filter that allows me to use the old style filter that you can get almost anywhere. I would use the WCC version if A) It didn't cost $60 and B) If it was available from someone other than GM or WCC.

DriVer where is that $20 replacement you spoke of?

Installation is nothing more than releasing the hold down clamps and removing the filter. You will lose some or all the fuel that is in the filter. I just use some shop towels to soak up the spilled fuel and small container to hold the filter. After replacing the filter I start the rig and check for leaks.

Total time to R&R the filter is about 15 to 20 mins.

Old 06-24-2007, 05:56 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
DriVer where is that $20 replacement you spoke of? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dale, I regret that what was initially conveyed to me as a filter which could cost around $20.00 does not appear to have manifest itself in fact and I regret that.

I didn't make up that claim as much as you made up the filter adapter which you continuously keep impressing the readers with.

Although your component has not received DOT certification as regards safety or emission control compliance it continues to be an anomaly as described in 60701-T which clearly states in Paragraph 5 of the TSB,

Any base engine or engine emissions system component damage or false codes caused by aftermarket changes will not be warranted by Workhorse Custom Chassis.

The bullet point being:

"¢ Any modification to fuel tank, pump, or other fuel system component.

The base model MY 2004 and up fuel filter is a DOT and emission control compliant device which is a necessary component of the GM returnless fuel delivery system. Although I have researched sources for an alternate, that does not appear to be an option at this time and the current proprietary design fuel filter is the only show in town. The OEM filter is designed to deliver a flow rate at a certain pressure and this is well documented. Aside from your preliminary test to assure that the adapter can hold pressure no other dynamic traits of the compromise filter assembly are known.

GM offers, "It should also be noted that dealers modifying new vehicles and installing equipment, parts and accessories obtained from sources not authorized by GM are responsible for complying with the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act. Certain non-approved parts or assemblies, installed by the dealer or its agent not authorized by GM, may result in a change to the vehicle's design characteristics and may affect the vehicle's ability to conform to federal law. Dealers must fully understand that non-GM approved parts may not have been validated, tested or certified for use. This puts the dealer at risk for potential liability in the event of a part or vehicle failure. If a GM part failure occurs as the result of the installation or use on a non-GM approved part, the warranty will not be honored."

I would therefore suggest to our readers that they temper their enthusiasm in considering using the filter solution that is put forward in your post.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 09:37 AM   #7

Ya, ya, ya... You can read from the book all you want. But, if GM and WCC wanted to fix this problem they would make and sell the adapter.

As far as anyone who is still under warranty I would NOT recommend this mod. My warranty is up so I am on my own.

Am I encouraging people to make this mod.... No! All I am just saying, there is an alternative. Just remember, "Take responsibility for your decisions and/or actions".

As far as flow rate... The filters are the same, just attached differently. I can't image that the emissions would change.

Lastly if everyone just accepted what was installed as the BEST and never modified or took a chance what would this world be like?
Old 06-24-2007, 09:45 AM   #8

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
LeeB I would guess that you have had the new filter installed by now.

If not it is not very hard to do, open the gas cap, and crack the tank side of the filter first. Have rags available for the gas run off. Then the engine side and remove. Reverse install procedure.

If you have the new style filter shown above you could be on the side of the road for a week. Your year suggests the old type.
"Everyone Goes Home"
depchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2007, 10:06 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by oemtech:
Lastly if everyone just accepted what was installed as the BEST and never modified or took a chance what would this world be like? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>That's what those bicycle guys, Wilbur and Orville said I think ????
Old 06-25-2007, 03:27 AM   #10

OBTW - If you look at the fitting welded to the adapter and a "GM Saginaw" fuel fitting I think you will find there are one in the same, so the fuel flow or emissions should not be any different. The fitting is used in fuel injection changes to get from GM to AN fittings.

Bottom line... its not DOT approved. So what... 90% of the after market items are not DOT approved either. Again, the OEM would have to prove that the change adapter CAUSED the failure per the M&MA.
Old 06-25-2007, 04:33 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Bottom line... its not DOT approved. So what... 90% of the after market items are not DOT approved either. Again, the OEM would have to prove that the change adapter CAUSED the failure per the M&MA. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dale, You are absolutely right. Question for the moment would be is there enough liability insurance in place in the unlikely the event that a loss of property or life suffered by the owner of a vehicle so equipped can be adequately covered. M&MA does not lessen the liability issue that a manufacturer or 3rd party component supplier would have to bring to the table in the event of a failure.

An indepentent owner so choosing to equip their vehicle with this device under warranty would be in violation of the GM TSI and the WCC TSB.

When you're out of warranty I believe that the solution you pursued can only be interpreted as a successful measure that is economically driven.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:53 AM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Orginally Posted by OEMTECH:
As far as anyone who is still under warranty I would NOT recommend this mod. My warranty is up so I am on my own.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> Orginally Posted by DriVer:
An independent owner so choosing to equip their vehicle with this device under warranty would be in violation of the GM TSI and the WCC TSB. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Lastly, I hope someone doesn't get set on the side of the road with plugged filter, no spare and the closest WHSC is a 100 miles away with no parts in stock. Who/Whom get to pay for the tow, lodging, meals etc. Probably not WH!

But, Just think you will be DOT approve and not polluting the environment.
Old 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
"Lastly"... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>Dale, OK! You can have the last word.
Old 06-25-2007, 01:15 PM   #14

Finally....