Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #1

1998 P32 with Dana 80 semi floating axles shafts.

Refilling differential with 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic Gear oil.

I have two questions.

1) Does anyone know the axle flange bolt torque?

These are the eight bolts with hold each axle in. My book seems to be incorrect as it shows 15 Ft.Lbs on one page and 115 Ft.Lbs on the next page. Neither appear to be correct.

They are a 7/16" course thread, with a 9/16 Head and 7 hash marks.

2) Next, just totally drained differential and removed axles shafts for bearing service so it's totally dry. I filled the diff. until the oil ran out the fill plug, just like I always have done. It took 10 pints, however looking at the workhorse manual, it states it only holds 7.2 pints for the Dana 80. Any input?

Thanks in Advance.
TakerEasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #2

1998 P32 with Dana 80 semi floating axles shafts.

Refilling differential with 75W90 Mobil 1 synthetic Gear oil.

I have two questions.

1) Does anyone know the axle flange bolt torque?

These are the eight bolts with hold each axle in. My book seems to be incorrect as it shows 15 Ft.Lbs on one page and 115 Ft.Lbs on the next page. Neither appear to be correct.

They are a 7/16" course thread, with a 9/16 Head and 7 hash marks.

2) Next, just totally drained differential and removed axles shafts for bearing service so it's totally dry. I filled the diff. until the oil ran out the fill plug, just like I always have done. It took 10 pints, however looking at the workhorse manual, it states it only holds 7.2 pints for the Dana 80. Any input?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 01-28-2007, 05:02 PM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Is the coach on level ground, also since it is 'dry' you should have put a little wheel bearing grease on the bearing so they would be lubed till the oil made it's way to them. Mine took about 8 qts on mine[p-30]. I think that 15 ft pds is correct.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 12:56 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I asked the same question some while back. The best answer I received was to torque them to about 80/ft lbs. A 7/16 grade bolt might break at 115/ft lbs. Maybe someone might have the correct torque.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:40 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
The best information that I have indicates 115 lbs/ft of torque.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 07:28 PM   #6

Thanks for the replies.

My oil level, after the bearings were full was about 3/4" below the fill port cold. Warm, after 15 miles it was barely coming out the fill hole. So that should be fine.

I see where many of the folks running Dana 80's go the the extra capacity covers which also fills to the bottom of the axle shaft instead of the OEM fill to the bottom of the tube.

Axles flange torque. I looked it up for Grade 8 bolts and went to 80 ft.Lbs. I tried 115 on one of them and it pulled the threads. I'm taking a 200 mile trip next week and I'll double check the torque afterwards.

All the information in my service manuals seem to be pretty good until I came to the rear differential. I realize there two different Diffs available, American and Dana, but there is lots of conflicting information regarding them, such as torque values, wheel bearing adjustments and capacities.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:00 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
TakerEasy... interesting thing you opened up here re: 7/16x14 grade 8 bolt torque.. I thought this was easy, simply consult a chart, and there it would be. NOT so easy, every chart I looked at, my own and online, had its own opinion.. low 60, to a high of 83, so it looks like your in the proper range..I'd say, from past experience be carefull to not overtorque. Expansion from heat can overTENSION(not torque)the bolt and cause separation. Rechecking is smart. BTW, you say 7 marks, are they located radially, or 7 in some other arrangement?..rgr....
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 05:09 AM   #8

They are radial hask marks. When I looked up the code it came up as "Special Application".
Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">When I looked up the code it came up as "Special Application". </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

"curiouser, and curiouser", that could mean alot of things, any idea what?.. Shoulder style, coating.. Interesting ( to me ) that such a large amount of the specified torque is consumed in friction. I imagine thats why alot of applications measure bolt stretch instead of torque. I'll "get off" here, I imagine this is getting boreing, but thanks for the subject...rgr...
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2007, 09:08 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Post a picture of the bolt head. I am sure someone will come up with the proper torque.
Bigdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 03:24 PM   #11

I agree measuring actual Bolt Stretch is perfect for those items where you have access to measure the length, such as connecting rod bolts.

Torque Charts are designed to be used in places that you can't actually measure the length since they should take into account for proper stretching and preloading of the bolt, type of plating, and or lubricant.