Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #1

Need W22 Wheel

Tuesday I contacted Good Sam's Club Road assistance to have an inside rear tire repaired at my campsite. They sent a man out the next day. Lond story short I needed a new tire which he did not have. He put the tires back on and put the lugs on not even finger tight. I found a local shop to replace the tire and drove 14 miles with the flat still on. I got to the shop and they showed me the lugs. Wheel was damaged as well as studs. I am thankful I was not on an interstate highway. They ordered the wheel and had it sent in UPS overnight. That was Wednesday. Today is Friday and when the package came in it was baby clothes. Tonight is my third night in a hotel. I have a 2003 Allegro Bay I believe is on a 2002 Workhorse W22 chassis. This shop tells me they no longer produce the 8 lug wheel for this coach. He is not even sure he can get the studs. Can someone with experience if this a true statement. I cannot contact Workhorse until Monday. My biggest problem is I have my family of six 850 miles from home. My tire size is 735/80-22.5 Michelin. I am told the next yesr Workhorse switched to a 10 lug wheel. Any help appreciated.

Herb
herbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 04:59 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
Tuesday I contacted Good Sam's Club Road assistance to have an inside rear tire repaired at my campsite. They sent a man out the next day. Lond story short I needed a new tire which he did not have. He put the tires back on and put the lugs on not even finger tight. I found a local shop to replace the tire and drove 14 miles with the flat still on. I got to the shop and they showed me the lugs. Wheel was damaged as well as studs. I am thankful I was not on an interstate highway. They ordered the wheel and had it sent in UPS overnight. That was Wednesday. Today is Friday and when the package came in it was baby clothes. Tonight is my third night in a hotel. I have a 2003 Allegro Bay I believe is on a 2002 Workhorse W22 chassis. This shop tells me they no longer produce the 8 lug wheel for this coach. He is not even sure he can get the studs. Can someone with experience if this a true statement. I cannot contact Workhorse until Monday. My biggest problem is I have my family of six 850 miles from home. My tire size is 735/80-22.5 Michelin. I am told the next yesr Workhorse switched to a 10 lug wheel. Any help appreciated.

Herb
Where are you located. I replaced the steel wheels on my W-24 Workhorse chassis with Aluminum. I have 4 steel wheels available. You are welcome to one of them. They are located in Southern Illinois. My steel wheels are an exact match to your original steel wheel. 8 lug, hub centered, 22.5"X6.75".

Workhorse did not switch to 10 lug wheels the next year.

Several aftermarket companies make 8 lug, hub centered 22.5x6..75 steel wheels.

If you are close to Southern Illinois you can have one of my steel wheels.

Wheel studs and lug nuts are fairly common too.
AKIQPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:22 AM   #3

As AKIOPilot stated the Workhorse chassis remained 8 lugs through the following model years. The Accuride aluminum wheels are no longer made but as off last week there were 13 remaining in stock at the manufacturer. Here is an alternative: MOTORHOME A227506 Aluminum Wheels 22.5 x 7.5 Hub Pilot PCD:8X275 "ALCOA STYLE" (Both side Polish Finished-for All Position) on the Amazon site, but they come from Calif. and take four days to the east coast. I to have steel wheels to get you home and I'm in Pa. PM me if I can help
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #4

That is refreshing and very much appreciated. I am in Clearwater, FL and at a truck repair shop who ordered a wheel from Jacksonville and was suppose to be in yesterday. The courier that delivered the package left a package with baby clothes(I would think the weight and size of the package would have told them something). Now they are trying to locate that package. If it does not come I will need another source. Thank you very much.

Herb
Old 07-23-2017, 07:34 AM   #5

More bad news. Wheel lost forever. Repair shop has contacted manufacturer(???) and it is due to be over-nighted Monday morning to arrive Tuesday morning. If that happens it will be completed Tuesday. In the meantime I am paying for hotel bills and food for six family members. I should get home sometime this year. What an experience!
Old 07-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKIQPilot View Post
Several aftermarket companies make 8 lug, hub centered 22.5x6..75 steel wheels.

Would you mind sharing who/where? We are having trouble finding them. Thanks!
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Would you mind sharing who/where? We are having trouble finding them. Thanks!
Oh dang. You're absolutely right. The 22.5x6.75 wheels are not readily available. The 22.5x7.5 steel wheels are readily available. I was confused for sure.

Here is just one source of 22.5 X 7.5 hub centered steel motorhome wheels. I'm sure there are several others out there. Obviously not an exact match for the original Workhourse wheels.

https://buytruckwheels.com/22-5x7-50...eel-wheel.html

As mentioned, I have 4 original steel wheels from my '06 W24 Workhorse chassis. They are 22.5 x 6.75 Hub Centered, 8 hole, 275mm bolt circle, 221mm bore. They had 29,000 miles on them when I removed them. They are in very good condition with basically only brake dust residue on them. They are already on a pallet waiting for someone in need. I am willing to donate them to anyone who wants to come get them or pay for the shipping. They are located in southern Illinois. Zip Code 62411.

Jon. If you would like these wheels for your inventory I would split the cost of shipping and you could just put your portion of the funds toward my account. I will be ordering W-24 suspension parts from you this fall.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:11 PM   #8

All excellent replies. I cannot make another move until Tuesday afternoon to see if the wheel is the correct wheel. I will make decision after I return home as to buying a new wheel or not. Much appreciated.

Herb
Old 07-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #9

Tom,
I could use one 22" steel wheel for a spare. I live in Denver and will be in Southern Illinois at the end of August. Thanks..Gary
garyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyre View Post
Tom,
I could use one 22" steel wheel for a spare. I live in Denver and will be in Southern Illinois at the end of August. Thanks..Gary
Sounds good man. Looks like they may go quick. I will hold one for you for sure. I've decided to keep one for myself as a spare.

PM me for my cell number. I will give you the address to my Brother In Laws house where the wheels are. Effingham Illinois.

Might as well get these wheels to some folks who can make some use out of them.
Old 07-26-2017, 07:33 AM   #11

My troubles continue. Wheel came in and there was something wrong with it. Another has been ordered overnight by the Tire company. In the meantime I have spoken with Workhorse in Birmingham, AL and he said the replacement for the 6.75 inch wheel is W0090614E which is 7.5 inches wide. He said these will work as a direct replacement. If I do not get the a wheel today which will work I will overnight from Workhorse this afternoon. This will be the third time the Tire company has overnighted a wheel for me and I have been stuck here for 6 days which were unnecessary. $1000 and climbing for hotel, food, etc.

Herb
Old 07-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #12

Have you contacted Good Sam to tell them how the service tech that they sent out to help you has ruined your week and cost you thousands of dollars? I would think the service tech has some liability in this situation.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:48 AM   #13

I was told by the tire company the wheel was in and okay. Went there and started unloading from car to RV. Then the manager came out and said the wheel was 8 inch vice 6.75 inch. No go. I told him I was going to overnight from Workhorse. He said that would be unsafe to put the 7.7 inch wheel on there. I am not a mechanic so who am I to argue. Workhorse said it would work. Back to hotel and he has ordered from a fourth source. I have contacted Good Sam who said to save all receipts and submit to a number they gave me after all is done. Also contacted my insurance company who is giving me the run around. They will send a man out in "3 to 5 days". HA! The fourth wheel is to be here Friday or Monday. What a nightmare!
Old 07-27-2017, 09:52 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbc View Post
I was told by the tire company the wheel was in and okay. Went there and started unloading from car to RV. Then the manager came out and said the wheel was 8 inch vice 6.75 inch. No go. I told him I was going to overnight from Workhorse. He said that would be unsafe to put the 7.7 inch wheel on there. I am not a mechanic so who am I to argue. Workhorse said it would work. Back to hotel and he has ordered from a fourth source. I have contacted Good Sam who said to save all receipts and submit to a number they gave me after all is done. Also contacted my insurance company who is giving me the run around. They will send a man out in "3 to 5 days". HA! The fourth wheel is to be here Friday or Monday. What a nightmare!
Well the 7.5" wide wheel will work just fine with the other 6.75" wheels. That is a fact. Your workhorse dealer knows this because that's how they were offered on the coaches from the mid 2000's that have aluminum outer wheels.

Hopefully Good Sams makes this right for you.