Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Workhorse and Chevrolet Chassis Motorhome Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2016, 03:40 AM   #1

New and looking for brake advice

I am not sure if this has been covered before, but maybe I am tired and can not search the correct terms.

2004 itasca 27' with a saggy brake pedal causing the brake lights and the brakes to hang on slightly. if you lift the pedal manually it goes away easily.

What fixes this problem? price? labor or parts... Could a return spring be added or will this just band aid the problem?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2016, 08:49 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It is the brake switch. Look under the dash and you will see a small box about the size of a pack of cigs. It can be adjusted to take up the slack and make the problem go away.

Someone else will hopefully post more detailed info. I am pretty sure this will show up in a W/Horse search.

Old 11-09-2016, 09:28 AM   #3

Look for a bellcrank where the linkage makes a 90 degree turn to the master cylinder. They can get stiff and cause brake drag.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:42 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Look for a bellcrank where the linkage makes a 90 degree turn to the master cylinder. They can get stiff and cause brake drag.
lube or replace? rig is at the dealer and do not want them to tell me I need to pay $$$$$$$$$$$/be over charged to get it fixed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
It is the brake switch. Look under the dash and you will see a small box about the size of a pack of cigs. It can be adjusted to take up the slack and make the problem go away.

Someone else will hopefully post more detailed info. I am pretty sure this will show up in a W/Horse search.
What search terms should I use?
Old 11-09-2016, 10:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by xjescape View Post
2004 itasca 27' with a saggy brake pedal causing the brake lights and the brakes to hang on slightly. if you lift the pedal manually it goes away easily.
What fixes this problem? price? labor or parts... Could a return spring be added or will this just band aid the problem?
xjescape
A weak brake pedal return spring, inadequate brake pedal linkage lubrication or an out of adjustment brake light switch can cause that....(none of which should cost much to correct).
Old 11-09-2016, 01:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
xjescape
A weak brake pedal return spring, inadequate brake pedal linkage lubrication or an out of adjustment brake light switch can cause that....(none of which should cost much to correct).
Thanks' like the confidence
Old 11-09-2016, 02:18 PM   #7

Some didn't have the grease fitting on the bell crank shaft. OEMY's website has a good write up on this.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 09:40 PM   #8

My little Sunova's brake pedal was doing the same thing. There were times when i had to pull up it up very slightly with my foot to get the cruise control to activate. Can't remember exactly what i did but i do know i fixed it myself. I'm thinking lubricating the linkage was what i did,, but don't quote me on that.

I'll try and take a look at it in the morning to see if something jars my memory.
Old 11-10-2016, 05:27 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Some didn't have the grease fitting on the bell crank shaft. OEMY's website has a good write up on this.

Go here, scroll down to article: http://www.oemys-performance.com/techtips2.htm#zerk

here is a picture of what you are looking for: http://www.irv2.com/photopost/showph...9&ppuser=19091
Old 11-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #10

Ok Brought the rig into brambillas in shakopee mn for a inspection and they told me it needs 3K worth of parts just for the brakes. e

I am a back yard mechanic and DO know better then this, I asked how much of this was the labor charge and they stated thats just parts, And somehow I guess it needs all new rotors hoses and calipers along with pads and a wheel bearing.

And note that the brakes felt great So they are just trying to pull a fast one on me.

Where are some good places for brake parts? I seen some on rock auto but it listed as a 5 hole when looking up the p30. that is what my carfax report said it has.. unless my carfax is mistaken

he also stated that the water heater was not starting up, SO i asked him what parts it would need and if they have them on hand. He said it could need a new valve or control board... should this have electronic ignition or a pilot light? from what I know they have pilot lights..

Kinda pissed. (at brambillas)
Old 11-10-2016, 08:39 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Ok Brought the rig into brambillas in shakopee mn for a inspection and they told me it needs 3K worth of parts just for the brakes. e

I am a back yard mechanic and DO know better then this, I asked how much of this was the labor charge and they stated thats just parts, And somehow I guess it needs all new rotors hoses and calipers along with pads and a wheel bearing.

And note that the brakes felt great So they are just trying to pull a fast one on me.

Where are some good places for brake parts? I seen some on rock auto but it listed as a 5 hole when looking up the p30. that is what my carfax report said it has.. unless my carfax is mistaken

he also stated that the water heater was not starting up, SO i asked him what parts it would need and if they have them on hand. He said it could need a new valve or control board... should this have electronic ignition or a pilot light? from what I know they have pilot lights..

Post the last eight (8) digits ONLY of your chassis vin and I'll get your build sheet to confirm what chassis you have.
Old 11-11-2016, 07:22 AM   #12

Something isn't right. Just for comparison, I have a 1999 P-30 with 4 wheel disc brakes. The original brake pads still had material at 100,000 miles but one of the sliding brake calipers started sticking. I was gonna do a brake job myself but decided this was a little too much for age 78 so I just had all new rotors, calipers, premium pads, brake hoses, spark plug wires and distributor cap & rotor button replaced at a local shop. Parts were $1560 and the total was $2993 including tax, shop supplies and environmental fees.

Quote:

Where are some good places for brake parts? I seen some on rock auto but it listed as a 5 hole when looking up the p30. that is what my carfax report said it has.. unless my carfax is mistaken..

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2016, 08:07 AM   #13

Edgray here it is 43386151
Old 11-11-2016, 08:13 AM   #14

Can any one input about the hot water heater?

Tags
advice, brake